Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
My new hobby - drone photography >

My new hobby - drone photography

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

My new hobby - drone photography

Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default My new hobby - drone photography

I've always had a fascination with aircraft, and years ago I was training to fly model aircraft at a nearby park. I would go down with my mentor and watch some of these guys perform unbelievable maneuvers with their big gas powered remote control planes and helicopters. Unfortunately for me, my mentor had to move away, so I never learned beyond the basics. Shortly afterward, I got into hunting and shooting, which have become my primary hobbies.

My sister and I used to fantasize about putting a video camera on one of those aircraft to film its flight, especially one that sends the video feed back to the controller. But that was impossible, just a fantasy. Until about seven or eight years later, when that kind of technology became available to the average consumer.

When I began graduate school this fall, I was contacted by one of my undergrad professors, who informed me of the university's ongoing research project that utilizes drones for agricultural purposes. I naturally jumped at the opportunity, and have been learning under the guidance of a more experienced student. The drone is an amazing piece of technology, so it wasn't long before I decided I had to have one of my own:

While not the same model as the university's industrial drone, mine is made by the same company. It's called a DJI Phantom 4, and let me tell you, it takes phenomenal pictures. I haven't used it all that much yet, but the aspiring photographer in me is excited by the possibilities.

Once I get a few pictures edited, I'll post them here for you all to see. Believe me, I can get some phenomenal views with this drone.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Alright. You can't post that and not include any cool pictures that you've taken with it. I'm certain that's in the rules somewhere. Get some pictures up!
-Jake
Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Here are a few pictures I've taken, downsized significantly:

This was taken over the university's farm. I was flying my Phantom in conjunction with the school's FLIR equipped Inspire:

Home:

The rural west Tennessee countryside:

While taking some pictures of an industrial building my dad inherited, the owner of a local radio station asked if I could send the Phantom up to get a picture at the top of the station's tower:

Fun fact: that gray thing on the tower frame is the actual antenna.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 02-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA recently recently passed regulations to keep drones out of the airspace and off of state game lands. It is unlawful to:

3) Operate, control, retrieve or launch an unmanned aerial vehicle of any size, design or specification on or from lands or waters designated as State game lands. This provision may not be construed to limit activities specifically authorized by the Commission in writing or Federal, State or local governmental response to fire, rescue, police or other emergency matter, or engagement in legitimate governmental function.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Little over year ago I got interested in drones. Plan was to film different kind of hunting situations. That turn out to be interesting experiment and expensive. Bought it too cheap with out any advice from more experienced users. First fly and I search my drone two days. Few more try and it got much easier. That summer I got few good landscape films. No animals and nothing by the script. Then that drone 30 m up decided to turn around and go back home to china. Unfortunately earth was blocking drones route. Costs 400 fixing and now it flies but it flies like pilot was drunk. Would need to buy new one if I'm going to continue the project.

Here is example from somebody else that had same kind of idea but much much more better execution.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf View Post
I've always had a fascination with aircraft, and years ago I was training to fly model aircraft at a nearby park. I would go down with my mentor and watch some of these guys perform unbelievable maneuvers with their big gas powered remote control planes and helicopters. Unfortunately for me, my mentor had to move away, so I never learned beyond the basics. Shortly afterward, I got into hunting and shooting, which have become my primary hobbies.

My sister and I used to fantasize about putting a video camera on one of those aircraft to film its flight, especially one that sends the video feed back to the controller. But that was impossible, just a fantasy. Until about seven or eight years later, when that kind of technology became available to the average consumer.

When I began graduate school this fall, I was contacted by one of my undergrad professors, who informed me of the university's ongoing research project that utilizes drones for agricultural purposes. I naturally jumped at the opportunity, and have been learning under the guidance of a more experienced student. The drone is an amazing piece of technology, so it wasn't long before I decided I had to have one of my own:

While not the same model as the university's industrial drone, mine is made by the same company. It's called a DJI Phantom 4, and let me tell you, it takes phenomenal pictures. I haven't used it all that much yet, but the aspiring photographer in me is excited by the possibilities.

Once I get a few pictures edited, I'll post them here for you all to see. Believe me, I can get some phenomenal views with this drone.
My son-in-law has that one and it is truly amazing. He connects wireless to his smart phone and controls the camera from there. I think he's still flying in beginner mode though.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man thats cool! Are those drones loud? I have a radio remote controlled helicopter and it's loud.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

The one one of my neighbors fly around the neighborhood is loud and annoying.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy View Post
Man thats cool! Are those drones loud? I have a radio remote controlled helicopter and it's loud.
Eh, not really. When it's hovering in place, it's not that bad, only marginally worse than an idling car depending on the distance. Once you get it up to speed it's noticeably louder, but not nearly as loud as a four-wheeler or tractor.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Spike

The photos look great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.