Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2017 Spring Garden Thread.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Monster tomato plant

Well I said in an earlier post I lost all my tomato plants to a virus disease. However, a bird must have eaten one of my patio plumb tomatoes last year and fertilized my back bank with a seed and a tomatoe plant sprung up. I left it grow since I lost all my other tomatoes except two in pots to see what would happen. I didn't even know what kind of tomato it was. Well the thing really took off in the fertile dirt on the bank made by 40 years of mulching than the mulch rotting down and it took off and became an octopus with stems crawling over the ground for a 10 foot circumference and produce tons of patio plum tomatoes. I picked several gallons of tomatoes and I picked the last quart or so today and pulled out the plant. The base was like a tree trunk and it was all I could do to get it in a large trash bag. Pictures below after I rolled the thing up to stuff it in the bag and the bad brim full.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-10-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive got some stragglers that are still green. Some will ripen but others that got a later start will not. Picking the last of the jalapenos soon. I like them green or ripe so its no biggie. The rest are all getting pickled together anyway.

My biggest let down is the Thai Giant Orange that is still loaded with green pods. Its a milder Thai pepper. Im pretty sure most wont ripen. I really needed them ripe for homemade curry paste because im not a huge fan of green curry.

On a side note if you like hot jalapenos, i HIGHLY recommend the Mucho Nacho. Great flavor green or ripe and they ripen kinda fast too. Very nice yield and size.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will write that down. I like jalapenos, I lost those as well to the virus. I like to make back wrapped poppers stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My garden is about done. Yesterday I picked the last of the jalapenos which amounted to about 60 and pulled the plants. Also picked a half dozen bell peppers, 3 eggplant and a cuke. Today I picked a couple quarts of tobasco peppers and 8 ghost peppers.

Eggplant and bell peppers are in the freezer and the jalapenos, tobasco and ghost peppers are in the dehydrater. I have about 5 eggplant and the same number of bells still on the plants and a lot of tobasco peppers. When the eggplant is ready to pick I will pull everything and begin to prep for spring.