Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2017 Spring Garden Thread.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

It was warm for a while then went back to lows in the 20's and highs in the high 30's
I have two different peach trees and two different apple trees to plant.
And three blueberry bushs to plant.
Sitting in my house waiting for the 20's to go away.
One of the peach trees is about 10 ft tall including the roots.
I has some blooms on it too.
About two blooms are messed up from the cold before I bought it.
But the rest look good.
I couldn't wait to buy them, or they would get gone from the store soon, and I wouldn't have them. lol
I will have a small orchard soon.
We will see if the turn out good.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

I finally planted all my plants today.
1 Golden Dorsett apple tree, 1 Golden Delicious apple tree,
1 Red Haven peach tree, 1 Elberta peach tree.
1 Legacy, 2 Northland Blue berry bushes.

I hope all the cold weather is gone for this spring.

The Elberta peach tree is bigger than the other trees, and has blooms, and some have turned to little peaches.

I have some tomato seeds started, some are starting to germinate.

Tilling, and digging I am tired.
I know I will be feeling it tomorrow.

Pictures to come later.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is raining right now in East TX. Supposed to clear out in the afternoon. I've already got kale, swiss chard, beets, chives, oregano, rosemary and mint in the ground. Later today I will plant bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, ghost peppers, tabasco peppers, radishes, onions, more beets (I like the greens), eggplant, green beans, summer squash, zuccini squash, peter pan squash, cukes, 4 different types of tomatos and basil.

That will probably do it for me this year. I'd like to put in carrots but something in the soil here doesn't agree with them and they come out all twisted and weird looking.

Cheers Y'all.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is supposed to get into the 60s today, if the wind does not kick up I am going to roundup the garden to kill all the grass that has grown up. We have not had a windless day in a long time or it would have already been done.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up 1/3 acre with ten apple trees and a giant Cherry tree. I doubt I'll get anything in this year, but I am planning on some Chickens.

I have to fix my rototiller and kill me some gophers first.

That plot is full of gophers, The soil is poor, it is likely a multi year project. I'm going to have to dig a well, kill some Gophers and improve the soil some before I plant much.

I never knew Gophers would eat Apple tree roots. One tree fell over, the roots were mostly gone.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post
It is raining right now in East TX. Supposed to clear out in the afternoon. I've already got kale, swiss chard, beets, chives, oregano, rosemary and mint in the ground. Later today I will plant bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, ghost peppers, tabasco peppers, radishes, onions, more beets (I like the greens), eggplant, green beans, summer squash, zuccini squash, peter pan squash, cukes, 4 different types of tomatos and basil.

That will probably do it for me this year. I'd like to put in carrots but something in the soil here doesn't agree with them and they come out all twisted and weird looking.

Cheers Y'all.
Late blight usually messes with my Maters and Taters. Nematodes get my Onions. Organic gardening isn't easy. My Carrots are always small. Parsley root and Parsnips do well, I have no idea why my Carrots are runts? I figure out what does well and plant that.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mice will girdle the roots of fruit trees as well.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
Mice will girdle the roots of fruit trees as well.
It could be Mice or Voles, I noticed the holes were kind of small for Gophers. A whole lot of holes, but no mounds that I noticed. A new plot to me, I've only walked it a few times.

I'll have to let my Terriers loose out there and see what they can find. I have one Terrier that has ears like a Bat (who is actually the best Mouser), another with a really good nose (usually the one one kills and eats them) and one that digs like a mini excavator (and barks a lot). Very few Mice in my home garden. I hope they can clean out whatever is eating the Apple tree roots in my new plot.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-02-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the rain never did cooperate yesterday. So my garden will go in the ground tonite and tomorrow night after work. Should be a good garden. I mixed in nearly 300 lbs of compost, some dried molasses, worm castings, cornmeal and some green sand. Trying to avoid chemicals this year.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ending up with more lemon drops from seed than planned so this should be fun. Everything from Chileplants.com were plants.

2- Scotch Bonnet Yellow MOA
..from Chileplants
1- 7 Pot Yellow... from Chileplants
2- Early Jalapeno...from Chileplants
1- Mucho Nacho Jalapeno....Bonnie plant from Lowes
2- Lemon Drop from Chileplants and at least 17 seedlings from last years plants.
2-Aji Cito...from Chileplants
1-Thai Giant Orange..from Chileplants
2- Beni Highlands...from Chileplants
2- Gochugaru...from Chileplants
2-New Mex 64...from Chileplants
2- Super Chili Hybrid....from Chileplants
1- Tabasco....Bonnie plant from Lowes

10- Lumbre....seeds from Midwestchilehead.....100% germination rate BTW
10- Sandia Select...seeds from Midwestchilehead

12 plants in drip irrigation pots. Im still trying to decide which but they will all be the plants from Chileplants since they are not cheap
1 MOA and 1 Lemon Drop in test media of 3 part coco coir and 1 part perlite. Fertilizer will be CNS17Grow and a little worm castings
Upto 6 in Wally World bags...this might increase
1 of the bag plants will get the Ecoscraps coco based potting mix
Others in various pots on the deck
As many plants as i can get in the 64sqft ground plot....this one is all compost and Alaska fish and kelp pellets tilled into the soil....So more or less organic

ATM im using mostly Ecoscraps compost soil, Just Natural Mushroom compost, minimal amounts of peat moss and my last bag of Black Kow. First time trying the Ecoscraps stuff but it looks good sofar. I will probably get more of the good mushroom compost if needed.

New fertilizer for me is the Alaska fish and kelp pellets 4-6-6 with 7% calcium and a small bag of worm castings.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-23-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service