Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Oh,Rural living! >

Oh,Rural living!

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Oh,Rural living!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Oh,Rural living!

Woke real early,as always. It was still not quite light out. I grab a cup of coffee and went on to my porch. Before it got too light ,i was watching what we use to call Heat Lighting. It was cool,a vast amount of clouds,in the distance, were lighting up a pretty shade of yellow.
No breeze and as the sun broke over the trees,a ways off,a little wind picked up! We are surrounded by big farms?
After 5 minutes my solitude was done! A breeze picked up!Some where,down wind,some one had just spread manure and into the house i went.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing like some fresh spread manure slurry to close the windows. The only days we had this summer that the windows could have been open had the delightful smell of slurry in the air. Of course better that the city stink!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-25-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pig or cow? I can stand the cow smell somewhat, but pig manure is gross!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, that pig crap is nasty stuff

MY neighbor here decided to mow his lawn at 6 am yesterday
ruining my peace and quiet morning!
so rural life, has its down sides too LOL
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I thought you were going to say you were outside buck naked enjoying your first cup of coffee and the newspaper. I'm not necessary all that rural but I won't bother getting dressed to go sit and enjoy my coffee in the morning on a nice morning.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
I agree, that pig crap is nasty stuff

MY neighbor here decided to mow his lawn at 6 am yesterday
ruining my peace and quiet morning!
so rural life, has its down sides too LOL
The way I sleep a mower wouldn't wake me unless it was in the bedroom. Many times I have slept right through violent thunderstorms and then read about them the next day.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

The row crop farmers around here spread chicken litter as fertilizer in the spring. When the wind kicks up, you're sure to smell something foul.

Get it? Foul? As in, fowl?

I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waiter.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf View Post
The row crop farmers around here spread chicken litter as fertilizer in the spring. When the wind kicks up, you're sure to smell something foul.

Get it? Foul? As in, fowl?

I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waiter.
We got it and that was really bad, LOL!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Pig or cow? ..... pig manure is gross!
My first thoughts, exactly. When I was younger, I had some friends that lived near farmer that also grew a lot of pigs. The farmer was losing a lot of them due to the heat. I was told pigs don't sweat, so the operations keep them cool w/giant fans lest they burst open and die. In heat like this, I would imagine the stench to be quite awful around large, corporate farms.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Happy to report I could go sit out naked here except for the mosquitoes and deer flies. Mosquitoes not real bad here this year due to the lack of rain, Deer flies how ever are awful.
We are lucky as all the farms surrounding us are crops, one horse farm, so we get the dust at planting time and fertilizer smell right after they have planted. We also get the noise at harvest but when you have 6 big combines in a field it doesn't last to long.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.