Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2016 Spring Garden Thread. >

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had an awesome garden this year, most of these canned goods came from it this year, maybe 150 quarts or so, theres still some Rutabaga, kale and a few spuds left after some freezing temps.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've sowed the winter rye and kale and both are coming along. I'll harvest the kale soon after we get a good frost and that will wrap up another year of gardening.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Spring Garden Thread.-1104161507-00.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pulled the spring stuff. I've got kale, swiss chard, brussel sprouts, cabbage and broccoli still in the ground along with some hot peppers.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I pulled my garden on Monday. We had two killing frosts so there was no saving very much. I did save some bell peppers I was allowing to get bigger. I had pulled a bunch of tomatoes that had started to turn red but there wee still at least 45 to 50 tomatoes on the 6 plants when I pulled them. I would have pulled more to rien earlier but they would have spoiled before we ate them. I had a banner year on maters, my wife made a couple of gallons of home made tomato juice. I also save two cucumbers, they also produce a ton of fruit and I had to give a lot away. This has been one of the best garden years in a while for me.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-04-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome guys. Gardening & processing produce, give me as much joy as shooting and butchering, it's all healthy, you know where your food came from!
Old 11-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Only thing left in my garden is fall planted garlic. Got about 120 plantings of soft neck and elephant garlic.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man it's been in the teens here and I still have spuds, Kale, Turnips & Rutabaga, in the garden I built a second smaller root cellar for the root vegetables they have a small moister problem, but I think i have that problem figured out.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Covered the garlic with straw yesterday. That cold north wind coming off the lake can do a number on crops planted over winter. I do my trimming on the blackberries and raspberries in spring to give them a little cover to winter over.