Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2016 Spring Garden Thread. >

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had most of my original beans rot and did bad also MudderChuck, but the 2nd batch i planted is doing great. At the county fair i met a master gardener, and found out he lives close to me, I'm going there for coffee some morning to pick his brain. I have had bad success with onions the last 2 years. Otherwise my garden is producing like crazy! We canned/pickled a bunch of summer squash, beans, peppers & cucumbers, and naturally fermented over a gallon, it's a pro biotic, puts good bacteria in your gut. We also canned some summer squash & beats. The tomatoes are about to come on strong, might try making a batch of ketchup this year.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

These were turned into......

This....and OMG are they good pickles!!!!!!

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-08-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit I don't know what they are, the inside looks like a cucumber. My cucumbers are huge and prolific again this year. Once again folks in the neighborhood are drawing the blinds when they see me coming down the street with cucumbers to give away. My tomatoes are loaded, the big boys are just starting to get ripe and I have been picking super Marzano plums tomatoes for a few days. Bell peppers and jalapenos are doing well and I have picked both and I have the nicest crop of Basil I have had in a while.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

West Indian Bhur Gherkins and the little guys are Mexican Sour Gherkins aka mouse mellons or sanditas.

The bhur gherkins taste mostly like a very mild cucumber. No bitterness at all and the flesh is very firm. This variety came form Baker Creek aka rareseeds.com Its slightly different than the ones pictured on the website. They have not updated the pic yet.

My great grandfather used to pickle these. If you did not see it and ate one that was pickled you would most likely think its a very crunchy cucumber. They are superb and very disease resistant. My cukes are almost dead now and this thing is still going nuts right next to them.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-08-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had eight rows like this one. I averaged a bushel a row. Not too bad for 50# of seed.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Spring Garden Thread.-tators-2016.jpg   2016 Spring Garden Thread.-tators2-2016.jpg  

Last edited by WVCritter; 09-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow lots of spuds! Do you sell them? I have one row of yukon golds, they did great, i'm digging them as i use them, so far.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy View Post
Wow lots of spuds! Do you sell them? I have one row of yukon golds, they did great, i'm digging them as i use them, so far.
Yeah, 4 or 5 bushel is all I need. I keep my kids supplied with potatoes also. I'll probably sell 2 or 3 bushel this year. That pays for my seed and fertilizer.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I didn't plant spuds this year. I have a potato bug problem and never found much that fought them other than several times a day picking off and killing the hard shelled breeders. I went years without them but now they come out of the soil. I'll give it a few years and try again. The rest of my garden was great sweet onions (walla walla) were the size of small grapefruit and 2 kinds of garlic came good with some the size of small tennis balls (elephant garlic). Did cukes all summer and gave away a garden cart full for pickles. We did a bushel or two of sweet peppers, had several meals of beets and all the green and yellow beans we could eat and freeze. The winter squash came good and was the last thing I picked before my surgery. Had a friend till the garden under the other day since I can't do anything like that for 12 weeks and will plant my fall garlic mid October. The black berries are all gone by but I am still picking raspberries.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

CI, This is what I use and have been using for the last 4 or 5 years and it works like a charm. I use it on all my veggies. They package it under another label without the pic of the potato bug on it and it has the same exact ingredients and is usually a little less money. I usually only spray once a year when the potato bugs appear. Rarely do I ever have to spray twice. Spinosad is classified as an organic substance by the USDA National Organic Standards Board.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still got carrots and beets in the ground. Canned tomatoes and made green tomato salsa. Several types of pickles. Lots of different jams and jellies. Just waiting on several types of peppers to mature so I can dehydrate and turn into powder, hot peppered jelly too. Working on drying my second batch of herbs. Never knew Tarragon could reach five ft.

Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.