Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Did you work out today?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Did you work out today?

It's the offseason. We need conversation and the "What's for lunch" thread stays fairly busy. Figured I'd give this a try.

Our hunting can only be improved by being in better physical condition. And the majority of us probably are not in great shape. In the last year I've taken my fitness allot more seriously. SO, this thread is for working out. What did you do today? Also can discuss goals, questions, successes and failures etc.

I'll start. I picked up a new pair of running shoes today (Mizuno Wave Inspires) as my last pair is worn out and I lost a chunk from the sole on Wednesday while running. When I got home I ran a mile in 9:13 to make sure they felt good. Fairly slow, but it was like ice skating outside, everything was icy so I had to take it easy.
-Jake
Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 AM
Banned

I have an eliptical I use a couple times a week , for an hour each session.it has different workout settings , so I mix it up. also one of them total gyms, that I use to work various muscles a few times a week. no longer lift free weights and quit running when I figured out no one was chasing me.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

I walk 10-15 miles a night at work dragging skids and throwing boxes around...figure that's all this old dog needs.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quigleysharps4570 View Post
I walk 10-15 miles a night at work dragging skids and throwing boxes around...figure that's all this old dog needs.
I almost envy people whose job entails physical work. You guys are REALLY in shape.

My wife and I work out three times a week. She just does it to stay toned and trim. My sciatic nerve is giving me **** right now, so I've had to dial it back. I don't run and neither does my wife. Talked to too many guys who have messed up their knees that way. I think the human body was designed to walk long distances barefoot through the woods, but not for running long distances. Too much weight coming down on that knee and hip over and over again.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get out most every morning before dawn and walk a couple of miles. I'm lucky I live on the outskirts right next to a National Forest. I keep the old bones and joints working and at the same time keep my night vision and tracking skills sharp.

I figured out a long time ago, if I scope it I own it. Shooting well is only a small part of hunting and many of the necessary skills you can practice all year long.

For the old guys, there is a fine line between building yourself up and tearing yourself down. Most old guys are arthritic to one degree or another. I try for the status quo, keeping whatever agility and strength I have.

My days of playing mountain Goat are over, I try to make up for my short comings with stealth and brains. I also enjoy being a couple of days ahead of curve and always get a chuckle out of the young guys hunting the wrong spot, while I'm strolling where the Hogs are.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I hike anywhere from 8-15 miles once a week. On weeknights I'll take a couple shorter walks around town after dinner.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried to go back to my martial arts this month but my shoulder is truly cooked. My goal was to find out if it was going to take it or I get replacement and go back. So, the decision is in. I'm going under the knife between now and July. Then I will be back in my classes. Would love to get into jujitsu because I have about nine years of wrestling. However, that is what got me to this point of getting a replacement. So just doing my Kata's are a great workout in itself which I can take a slow speed.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Took a nice 2.2 mile hike through the swamp with my pack and rifle to check some cameras.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

3 mile trail run today. Whatever was ice yesterday turned to sloppy mud today. 50 crunches, 50 push ups.
-jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01-30-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My running just to run, days are well over. three knee surgeries in and the most recent one was solely to delay a replacement for 5-10 years, Joints simply can't handle it.

While I do sit at a desk all day, I also have a gym here at work with trainers and classes, so unless a lunch time meeting disrupts it:

Monday: no class, but do weights for upper body, then work some abs in. Basically the "easy day"

Tuesday: spinning class. Spinning is one of those low impact, mostly cardio things, but it's a great class because you get out what you put in. You push as hard as you want, it can really HURT :-)

Wednesday: Cardio Kickboxing

Thursday: spinning

Friday: HIIT class. This one is different every week, working with things like body weight, kettlebells, body bars, bosu ball, dumbells and cardio. This is a total body killer workout that usually leaves me sore for the weekend.

Weekends, no formal workout, but could be anything from reading, hiking, snowshoeing etc.

If I miss a weekday workout the "punishment" is one of the Insanity workouts in my basement that night. Those suck :-)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service