Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Retirement locations >

Retirement locations

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Retirement locations

Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Retirement locations

Well, the pipe is sorted for the moment. I'll try to clear out a few more life questions.

Retirement is on the horizon, and I still have all of my limbs. I want to stay active as long as I can. This means fly fishing, bird hunting, and working a hound or four.

I've looked at Idaho, and even have some relatives up near the Canadian border. I'm also looking at Montana, though I'd miss baiting bears. Where are you guys looking? North, south, east or west? Anyone looking at Mexico? Anyone planning to stay put? Why exactly?

ATB
Old 09-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texas. If you have to ask, you'll never understand in the first place.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am retired and I stayed put. The only place I would go would be south to the coast but my wife has a hurricane phobia so that isn't happening. However, no problem, what I don't have that I want to hunt is less than a days drive away. Home is paid for and I will be you know what if I will take on another mortgage at this stage of the game.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Texas. If you have to ask, you'll never understand in the first place.
I used to think that way. The heat and peculiar hunting scene changed my mind. The cold, and cost of living turned me off of Alaska where I also have family.

Texas scores at the top for a couple reasons I'm sure you have found out about. Must be the climate.

ATB

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 09-25-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I am retired and I stayed put. The only place I would go would be south to the coast but my wife has a hurricane phobia so that isn't happening. However, no problem, what I don't have that I want to hunt is less than a days drive away. Home is paid for and I will be you know what if I will take on another mortgage at this stage of the game.
I know what. I've looked at staying in Michigan only moving North. When the grouse numbers are up you can't match us for upland birds. That along with family and friends are a pretty big draw. Only I'd like to try some different types of hunting and enjoy a new part of the country.

ATB
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is why we have vehicles, we can hunt anywhere in the lower 48 just by driving there.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Grew up in Vermont and will die in Vermont. I can and do hunt anywhere I want but my biggest passion is fishing and there are few places any better than right here. Home is where you make it but I think I would have a hard time going elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I can finally turn all operations over to the kids, my big rear is going back to Pa! I always travel all over the country and hunt anyway so I may as well live somewhere that I can take all the deer my little old heart desires and live where it is absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the wonderful people of Pa. Lot of friends there. Wouldn't mind Colorado either but I'm just getting too darn old to be shoveling 4 feet of snow daily during the winter. Sell this tax sucking place and maybe buy me a couple hundred acres in Bucks or Chester county
Old 09-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

West Virginia born, West Virginia bred, when I die, I'll be West Virginia dead. I have lived all my 62 years within a few miles of where I was born here in Putnam County, West Virginia and I love it here. I've travelled to almost every state east of the Mississippi and to some on the other side but I've been nowhere that I'd trade my home in West Virginia for. We have good hunting, good fishing, beautiful scenery and this is where my friends and family live so I can't imagine selling my home here and moving somewhere else. By the way, I retired 3 years ago and I live very comfortable so when I get the urge to travel, I go but usually within a week or so, I'm ready to come home to Almost Heaven, West Virginia.

Last edited by WVCritter; 09-25-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm facing a similar decision in a few years. The wife wants to move out of CA but isn't sure where yet--some place where I can hunt a lot and water is nearby (stream, river or lake). Still looking and I enjoy reading why people choose a particular place to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.