Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Retirement locations >

Retirement locations

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Retirement locations

Old 10-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Just returned from South Central Colorado with travel to and from Denver. The pot shops are in every town along with the patrons which are probably transplants. I doubt the idiots who allowed that to happen even knew how bad it would get. They did it for the quick money it would attract to the state coffers and when all is done will cost them more than what it brought in not to mention ruining the state.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back. How'd you do on the hunt?

It sounds like Colorado is going to be off the list. Ignorant people talk about how marijuana doesn't cause violent crime--very ignorant thinking. Most of the home invasions (and even a murder or 2 that i know about) were over/about marijuana and/or the income from selling it. Even putting violent crime aside, more pot heads also means more theft and other property crimes. It's just how it works.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to maintain that Colorado isn't affected by an influx of Californians, but I recall back in my hippie days that Colorado was a Mecca for many of my fellow hippies. They settled in the many ashrams and communes in the Colorado mountains. I strongly suspect that they, their children, and their grandchildren are having an effect on Colorado politics.

If it were not for my wife's job, I would probably be on the U.P. right now. Yup, I love that 78 inches per year of snow we get around our cabin. If that's not enough, I can always go up to the Keweenaw where they get 331 inches.

Even around here we can get on our snowshoes or our cross country skis. And then there are the pleasant summers with average highs somewhere around 80.

I was in Texas quite a number of times while I was on the road. I won't say there isn't enough money to get me to live in Texas, but it would take an awful lot.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Just returned from South Central Colorado with travel to and from Denver. The pot shops are in every town along with the patrons which are probably transplants. I doubt the idiots who allowed that to happen even knew how bad it would get. They did it for the quick money it would attract to the state coffers and when all is done will cost them more than what it brought in not to mention ruining the state.
Not all of us voted for this mess...............primarily the transplants!
Dan
Old 10-25-2015, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
Welcome back. How'd you do on the hunt?

It sounds like Colorado is going to be off the list. Ignorant people talk about how marijuana doesn't cause violent crime--very ignorant thinking. Most of the home invasions (and even a murder or 2 that i know about) were over/about marijuana and/or the income from selling it. Even putting violent crime aside, more pot heads also means more theft and other property crimes. It's just how it works.
The hunt was great as always. The killing wasn't so great but that is hunting. I have gone out 9 out of the last 10 years, killed 6 elk and 1 mule deer. This year we did something a little different and flew instead of driving our own rigs. Big mistake. The flights were on Southwest and I can't say enough about them as compared to other carriers I have flown with on non hunting vacations. Unfortunately they don't fly out of Vermont so we had to go to Boston and deal with the traffic late afternoon on the return. The truck rental is where the trip went south. I won't mention any names but that starship company rented us a 4x4 truck with unsafe tires which promptly had blowout issues. We scouted for 3 days having blown tires on 2 of them and when we lowered the spare found a donut temp tire which made an interesting white knuckle trip the 30 miles back to the cabin from 11.5K feet with no cell service. The truck was fairly new but obviously didn't have factory tires but some off brand made in China. They must take off factory tires and sell them replacing with tires that are substandard and unsafe. Luckily we were able to buy used replacement tires locally to get back in the game. We finally got tired of dealing with it and called the rental and they said they would pick up the problem truck at 9 on the opening day of hunting with a replacement soon after. We figured that was our best option which was hard since we had located some bulls during our blowout filled scouting. The long and short of it is we called the rental from the cabin every hour all day and got one lie after another. We missed the first day which was the best day all week and the truck which was a 1 year old chevy 3/4 ton with 10 ply tires was delivered at 10 that night. The rest of the week we had pouring rain every day switching to thunder snow which made for some interesting hunts trying to get back to the timber for protection from the lightning. By the end of the week the snow was too high on the roads to safely hunt where the elk were. I never saw so much rain in Colorado and I have spent lots of time there both in the hunting season and summers.
The changes with the pot shops was shocking even since last summer when I was there the last time. Colorado is changing and IMO not for the better. Our state of Vermont is looking at the legalized pot issue with an eye on the financial bonanza if they are the first NE state to go that way. I'll fight long and hard against the liberal legislators who are calling for legalization. Nothing good comes from legalization especially with the hard drug epidemic happening in our state. Thinking that legalization makes it go away is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by longknife12 View Post
Dan
I know that Dan. I have quite a few friends out there who feel the same way you do.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-25-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you enjoyed the hunt CI, in spite of the truck problems. Maybe next year you will go back to driving out?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by cr422 View Post
Glad you enjoyed the hunt CI, in spite of the truck problems. Maybe next year you will go back to driving out?
One of the gang couldn't afford the time to drive out so we flew. At the time it would have been the 2 of us so he could have flown and I would have to drive alone the whole 2200 miles one way so I decided to fly with him and rent the truck. After the fact a 3rd person who would have driven with me decided to go. We had already bought the flight tics so that was the way we all did it. Much nicer when you have total control by using your own vehicle. Nothing quite like a good hunting road trip with some good friends.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by longknife12 View Post
Dan
I know how you feel. Northern CA didn't use to be like this 40 years ago. It's gone downhill steadily and is being dragged down further by the large liberal populations in the bay are and southern CA. I realize I'm not going to be able to duplicate N CA weather in another state but don't want to deal with freezing weather, higher crime or stupid laws which attract druggies and therefore criminals. Since you live there, would you mind chipping in some more about Colorado and what is still okay and where?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't live there but do visit often. From my perspective it normally has great weather, is a beautiful state that seems to have many physically fit people who enjoy the outdoors. Hunting is really good and quite affordable especially for the residents. In southern Colorado where I spend most of my time I feel prices from real estate to goods and services are much lower than New England. It is my favorite place to hunt.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I know how you feel. Northern CA didn't use to be like this 40 years ago. It's gone downhill steadily and is being dragged down further by the large liberal populations in the bay are and southern CA. I realize I'm not going to be able to duplicate N CA weather in another state but don't want to deal with freezing weather, higher crime or stupid laws which attract druggies and therefore criminals. Since you live there, would you mind chipping in some more about Colorado and what is still okay and where?
Hard to answer as things change daily. I hunt up in the Krimmling area. Amount of people grows every day, I had a darn good customer base in almost every town before I retired so, I have friends every where. They usually are able to provide info at the time. Best advise is to shop off the main roads....local Farm and Ranch stores for example.
Dan