Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Cub scouts

Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Spike

Default Cub scouts

Trying to plan cub scout projects for next fall. Want are some fun projects your kids enjoyed?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Making plaster casts of various animal tracks and identifying the animals that made them is usually fun for kids that age.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Making a sun dial, id different leaves by their shapes (I'll never forget my pack leader taught us how to differentiate between red oaks and white oaks: Think of cowboys and Indians. Red oaks have pointed leaves like arrowheads and white oaks have rounded points on leaves like bullets which is probably no PC today. Like previously said, plaster animal prints. Find saplings to make walking sticks out of and then decorate them with feathers, painted on symbols of scouting, etc.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM
New Sheriff

Primitive fire starting or flag history
Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

When I "mentored" a den many years ago, we used the recycle theme with most of our projects. Be surprised at how many things you can do with a 2 liter soda bottle. Put one of those things in front of them and let each member come up with an idea. Another thing we did, over the course of several meetings, was put together a mini survival kit.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Teach them how to use a compass and a map. Show them the old ways still work and are good skills to know.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Show them how to determine directions (north, south, east and west) by using a stick and the sunshine. Since you said cub scouts, I would avoid teaching the fire starting.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by AF Hunter View Post
Show them how to determine directions (north, south, east and west) by using a stick and the sunshine. Since you said cub scouts, I would avoid teaching the fire starting.
When I took Hunter Safety we were taught how to use a compass. We had one of those where the sighting thing flips up with a thread to allow you to sight on a target. You then go to the target and take a new sighting. Cool stuff. Useful in Michigan where the trees often make a GPS useless.

My husband has never owned a GPS, just uses a compass as needed.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
When I took Hunter Safety we were taught how to use a compass. We had one of those where the sighting thing flips up with a thread to allow you to sight on a target. You then go to the target and take a new sighting. Cool stuff. Useful in Michigan where the trees often make a GPS useless.

My husband has never owned a GPS, just uses a compass as needed.
That's called "taking an azimuth" Sachiko. For many years I have carried the compass my Dad used in WWII that has as you put it "the sighting thing that flips up with a thread"! I carry a Garmin GPS because you can get within a few feet of a coordinate you're looking for, but I'd never be without that compass since any new fangled gadget can go bonkers at any time and it doesn't need batteries!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
That's called "taking an azimuth" Sachiko. For many years I have carried the compass my Dad used in WWII that has as you put it "the sighting thing that flips up with a thread"! I carry a Garmin GPS because you can get within a few feet of a coordinate you're looking for, but I'd never be without that compass since any new fangled gadget can go bonkers at any time and it doesn't need batteries!
My husband learned how to use it in basic training. I thought it was really cool. Using that with a map can get you where you want to go or back to where you started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.