Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Regarding Shingles..... >

Regarding Shingles.....

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Regarding Shingles.....

Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face Regarding Shingles.....

No not the kind on your roof, the affliction you may get if you have ever had chicken pox.

My husband has come down with shingles. Now this man will make absolutely certain that the girls and I get the appropriate medical care no matter what.

On the other hand he will avoid physicians like one would have avoided lepers in ancient times. He will tell you "everyone I know who has died was under a doctor's care." So he happily ignored all the propaganda urging people to have a shingles vaccination.

He is now singing a different tune. According to his first hand report, it is like a burn, much worse than a sun burn, and very painful. It starts as an itch and rapidly gets much worse. Luckily, he has found that Maximum Strength Aspercreme with lidocaine offers some relief.

So he has asked me to dedicate a thread to urging any who might be susceptible to get that vaccination. And it's practically free and readily available, at least around here.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I had shingles in October 2002, It hurts bad.
The Dr. put me on prednisone, and it got better pretty fast.
I know what it feels like.
It is not pretty.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get them every 2 years, not a big deal, have been told by others who get them often that their dr's tell them if you get shingles more than once there are underlying causes.
they just don't bother me much anymore so I deal with it.
RR
Old 07-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Never had it and so far not taken the shot. I hear it isn't pleasant and in the very elderly it can be fatal. Mrs. CI's mom died from it but she was around 90. I have an aversion to flu shots and most of the other vaccines. When I turned 65 I had my medicare physical and the doc talked me into getting a pneumonia shot. I am never sick and suffered from pneumonia that same year as I had the shot. I don't have a closed mind though about getting preventative vaccines...just need to think about it a bit longer. Tell CR422 I hope he gets better quick.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Ouch, got them a few years ago. I hope they never return! Told the doc I preferred it better when I thought my wife had given me poison ivy or oak. When it continued to get worse and just even more, I went to see him. They hurt.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got shingles when I was in my early 20's and haven't had them since. I'm 62 now and my Dr. says I should consider getting the shingles vaccination. I probably won't get it because I don't really feel the need to.