HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Off Season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season-117/)
-   -   Not sure if this is the right thread... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season/399717-not-sure-if-right-thread.html)

Jdecountryboy 06-09-2015 04:44 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread...

My dad is having a total knee replacement done tommorow. Will he be able to go rabbit hunting this coming year? As the title says not really sure if this is the right thread. Been thinking and worrying a lot about this lately. If its one think my dad loves to do its go hear a pack of twelve or so beagles run a rabbit.

Topgun 3006 06-09-2015 05:06 PM

He should be fine if he does what the Doctor tells him and follows the rehab program he'll be put on. My best buddy in Sheridan, WY will be 55 on 7/1 and had one on 1/6 this year. It was just a few days after the operation and he was doing some workouts with a therapist and he did that for several weeks. Then he was told what to do on his own and has been doing great. We will be doing our normal deer, elk, and antelope hunting out there this Fall and one of the hunts is on horseback up in the high country 100 miles south of Yellowstone. If your Dad does what he's supposed to do, rabbit hunting this Fall/Winter should be a piece of cake!

CalHunter 06-09-2015 05:43 PM

It isn't the appropriate forum (Small Game) but I'm not sure there is an exact fit in a forum. I've moved this topic to the Off Season forum as it's kind of a catch-all forum for everything else non-hunting (except politics) and it tends to fit this forum better than any other forum. In this forum, you should get more exposure and a lot more responses as it's one of the main forums and has a wide variety of people with experience in recovering after getting banged up, etc. Not saying these guys are old :s4:
but a lot of them do push the envelope and have an occasional injury to recuperate from. :biggrin::biggrin:

On a side note, as Topgun put it, have your dad follow his doc's advice and don't overdo or under-do the recovery. I would think he'd be shipshape well before a year is up and should have built his stamina back up to chase beagles and hares by then.

dustyr 06-10-2015 03:36 AM

I underwent a L-TKR in October. The rehab exercises are crucial; they had me on my feet the next morning and started my rehab the same afternoon. I still have pain issues and occasional swelling, but overall doing much better. I still have to be careful about my activities - walking especially. Everyone recovers differently; I'm doing better than some, not as well as others. Only time will tell how he does.

Fieldmouse 06-10-2015 06:23 AM

This is the perfect thread for this topic. As you can see, there are a whole bunch of old farts that hang out on this forum. They have several war stories about joint replacement. That's the good news. The bad news is that the docs haven't been able to fix ugly and they know who they are!

Phil from Maine 06-10-2015 07:08 AM

First of all I hope your dad pulls threw alright with it.. As others have stated some have recovered really well with it and some have done not so great... I have a friend that never followed his rehab to a "T" and ended up 2 years later going back in and having it replaced again.. So it is important for him to follow what the doc and rehab says he needs to do.. I also had an old friend " Like a grandfather " who was a neighbor to me until he died have both a knee replacement and a hip replace. He went out deer hunting with me and enjoyed it a lot.. Sure there was times it would swell up and ache but he got around ok.. He was slowed down quite a bit but still was able to get out there and enjoy what he liked to do.. His worse problem was getting in and out of the boat.. I am thinking because it had limited how high he could lift his leg up.. Not 100% sure though.. Again I wish your dad good luck as well..

Oldtimr 06-10-2015 08:48 AM

I hunt birds with a guy in his late 70s about 3 years ago he had a knee replacement. He still folloes his seters in the fields fall and winter and he still climbs a ladder stand every day for most of the season till he scores. I know a few who had it done, all have told me they wish they had done it earlier.

Jdecountryboy 06-10-2015 05:34 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Yall have helped a lot.