Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr View Post
It is 1:00 Pm and it is 97 degrees in the shade.
I water my two gardens real good after dark, and they are bone dry by lunch the next day.

Anyone else having these dry condictions?
I've burned my arm yesterday by doing nothing more than to reach between the toolbox and the bed of the truck to start the nut that holds the toolbox to the bed. Its the size of a half dollar and blistering more today.

Yes it's fricking hot!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
I've burned my arm yesterday by doing nothing more than to reach between the toolbox and the bed of the truck to start the nut that holds the toolbox to the bed. Its the size of a half dollar and blistering more today.

Yes it's fricking hot!
It was 98 degrees today Hot hot hot.
This might sound crazy, dip the burn in salt water.
I was burned real bad in 1996, a 5 gallon gascan ( Full of Gas ) blew up in my face.
I received 2nd, and 3rd degree burns over 20% of my body.
My face, and both arms up to my sholders.
The nurses said to fill the tub with warm water, and put a cup of salt in it.
I thought it would hurt, but it felt so good.
The salt water made the pain go away while I was in the salt water.

Last edited by jrbsr; 06-17-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who else uses one of these? I carried this thing home along with a bucket of attachments and rebuilt it. New handles, a bicycle wheel and a paint job. This thing works great in my garden for laying off rows and cultivating.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-0528130818-00.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 02:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Blackberries are coming in. Only have one bush that's doing any good, but it's loaded with berried as big as my thumb. Best part (other than they are natural candy) is it's a thornless vine. Slick as a baby's bottom.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

WV, they were pretty common for use in large gardens back in the 50s and 60s. The wheel had a steel tire but a bike wheel is probably a good substitude.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
WV, they were pretty common for use in large gardens back in the 50s and 60s. The wheel had a steel tire but a bike wheel is probably a good substitude.
Yep, Dad had one back in the late 50's and early 60's but it didn't work very well in the red clay soil in our garden. I have the steel wheel for it but I took it off and replaced it with the bicycle wheel. If the soil is the least bit damp, it builds up on the old steel wheel. It doesn't stick and also there's no wobble or squeak in the bicycle wheel.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here are a few new pictures.
I has cooled off some, and rained a few times so the garden has grown some.
I planted the 2 gardens late, the last of may.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to lose all my tomato plants. The leaves and stems at the top are curling the long was and not developing flowers and the top f the plant is where the growth is. They should be 3 or 4 ft high by now and they are just about a ft high. They are not dying from the bottom up like fungus blight does. I contacted the farm extension office and sent them pictures and as of yesterday the Master Gardener did not know what the problem is. No home made tomato juice this year it appears.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cucumbers are doing well. So far, we've canned 28 pints of pickles. Next year, I'm going to remove the poultry wire and and use woven wire fencing on the frame to allow all the cucumbers to be harvested from the bottom. It's a lot easier to just lift the frame and pick than to bend over and sort through the vines and it also takes up less garden space.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-cukes.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-cukes2.jpg  
Old 07-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was on holidays for a week. Seems while I was gone there were a few hail storms. My garden sure got a beating. Toms and beans have pretty well been beaten flat with a lot of broken stems on the toms. Needs a good weeding too. They are still blossoming so hopefully things will turn out good.....stay tuned.

Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.