Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rbduck View Post
Silly question. When I plant two rows of the same veg only 10 or 12"apart as per instructions, why does only one grow? Any ideas? I had to replant.

Ron
What type of soil do you have?
The sol in my two gardens is clay so it doesn't drain to good.
I forgot what my Mother told me to do when seeds don't come up.

She said take a pithfork or something like it and stick in the ground and pry just a little so water can get under where the seeds are at.
It is like this, it causes cracks in the soil so water has a way to get under the soil to the seeds, and plant roots.

http://vid1219.photobucket.com/album...psgjcpvgs9.mp4

I hope this helps.

Last edited by jrbsr; 06-11-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had to try this since lemon grass comes in two varieties. The one i bought at Lowes was likely the ornamental variety. I went to my Asian market and bought some cut lemon grass.

It took three weeks but it worked and now i have 3 pots of lemon grass growing for about $2.

Im also starting a curry leaf plant from a package of fresh curry leaf sprigs i bought at the market....You cant make good sambar and several masalas without curry leaves.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Picked a gallon or so of blueberries this morning. Probably pick another gallon in the morning. New bushes are producing nicely as well. I figure in the next 2-3 years I'll have enough blueberries for the entire neighborhood!

One bush I really like is called "excite". It produced early, and the berries were huge and delicious. Need to get some more of those planted.

Blackberries are starting to ripen...man they are good! Battling those [email protected]#%!#$^[email protected]#$ japanese beetles...no idea how my grape harvest is going to turn out thanks to those little demons. Drives me nuts...
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr View Post
What type of soil do you have?
The sol in my two gardens is clay so it doesn't drain to good.
I forgot what my Mother told me to do when seeds don't come up.

She said take a pithfork or something like it and stick in the ground and pry just a little so water can get under where the seeds are at.
It is like this, it causes cracks in the soil so water has a way to get under the soil to the seeds, and plant roots.

http://vid1219.photobucket.com/album...psgjcpvgs9.mp4

I hope this helps.
You need to add a bunch of vermiculite to your soil. I've the red clay. I added 3 bags to my soil this year and next year I'm going to add in at least 4 more to break it up.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Who else is Hot?
At 9 PM it was 85 degrees, at 10 PM it was 84 degrees.
At 11PM it was 82 degrees, at 2 AM it was 79 degrees.
At 9 AM it was 85 degrees.
At 12 Lunch time it was 95 degrees.
It is supossed to be up to 98 degrees.

Is anyone else having this type of weather?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr View Post
Who else is Hot?
At 9 PM it was 85 degrees, at 10 PM it was 84 degrees.
At 11PM it was 82 degrees, at 2 AM it was 79 degrees.
At 9 AM it was 85 degrees.
At 12 Lunch time it was 95 degrees.
It is supossed to be up to 98 degrees.

Is anyone else having this type of weather?
It's 79 degrees right now, cloudy and threatening to rain. My wife says it was 65 when she got up. It's supposed to go back down to 65 tonight.

That's just pretty much normal for June here. I just opened up a couple more windows. It was a little cooler a few days ago. Barely got up to 60. My wife kicked on the furnace to take the chill off. She doesn't like to put on a whole lot of clothes and that's fine with me.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's MS, it's June...it's hot and humid. I was in Yankton, SD (just a skip from Nebraska--we drove about 5 miles one evening and ate supper in Nebraska just to say we did it) last week. At one point the car thermometer said 104 degrees...at least it wasn't as humid as it is here.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

It is 1:00 Pm and it is 97 degrees in the shade.
I water my two gardens real good after dark, and they are bone dry by lunch the next day.

Anyone else having these dry condictions?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

We've had extra rain this year--made a lot of folks put their garden in late. High temps are normal for us.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Banned

Been in the mid 90s for several days, hwever we have had so much rain, a shower most days for a while, that while my romatoes and pepper anc cucumber plants have fruit on them, the plants themselves are not getting the hight and bushyness they should have, the plants just aren't growing well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.