Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags View Post
I'm afraid I've lost my garden for the year. We have had so much rain that the plants and the veggies on them are rotting. I had tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cukes, radishes, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, bush squash, onions, kale, carrots and herbs planted. Everything except the herbs, carrots and kale has gone yellow. I'm about to the point of pulling most of it up and re-planting after it quits raining. Good thing about TX is the growing season is long enough to do just that.
I know how you feel two garden seasons ago that happened to me.
It rained so much every thing just died.
I had about 40 to 50 pumpkins about the size of softballs, they just turned to mush, and just dissapeared.
Good luck with the replant.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I finished most of my planting last week. Now we have a frost warning.

Ron
Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Peppers and Tomatoes,

Tomatoes are all done and now just growing. I still need to snip all the tops on my peppers. I'm going to do it this week.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-garden612015.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My wife and I just shared the first ripe blueberries of the season--MMM-MMMMM Good!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I planted my 2 gardens late this year.
They haven't had much rain it has only rained 1 time since May 13th.
Here are a few pictures,
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-g-1-monday-june-01-2015.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g-1-monday-june-01-2015.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g-1-monday-june-01-2015..jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g1-monday-june-01-2015-.....jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g1-monday-june-01-2015-....jpg  

Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I planted my 2 gardens late this year.
They haven't had much rain it has only rained 1 time since May 13th.
Here are a few pictures,
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-g-2-monday-june-01-2015.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g1-monday-june-01-2015-...jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g1-monday-june-01-2015.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-g2-monday-june-01-2015..jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you need to do some judicious watering. We were dry until a couple of days ago, not we are getting more water than we need all at one time.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of my garden back near the middle of April after I plowed and furrowed it with my Gravely walk behind tractor. I have it all planted now and will post another pic tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-100_1101.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-100_1098.jpg  

Last edited by WVCritter; 06-01-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by WVCritter View Post
Here's a pic of my garden back near the middle of April after I plowed and furrowed it with my Gravely walk behind tractor. I have it all planted now and will post another pic tomorrow.
Why am I not surprised you have one of the most useful machine ever built?

I have one with a bad motor right now. I need to pull it apart but I believe I sheared the main drive shaft. Mine is apparently one of the sought after models because it has the 8 speed trans. What I'm not sure of is the correct way to set the timing. I watch the local guy do it once. I only wish I had asked more questions. I believe he has passed away or close to it. I saw basically his entire shop on eBay being handle by a third party. So if you know how to, please share.

Anyway, I own the 30" bush hog, 40" finish, snow plow, rotary plow like yours a sulky, the saw blade for the 30" and the old cultivator which was made before the rotary plow. I came across a guy who had 2 chainsaws but wouldn't sell me one. I've seen the backhoe once on eBay but they wanted 3500 for it. I still have an idea of where I could find one if I began looking. A ditch witch was on eBay that I would have liked to buy. I saw a log saw for making firewood and a splitter attachment. But my next addition after I get mine running again with be the tiller attachment. I need it with all the clay around here.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Why am I not surprised you have one of the most useful machine ever built?

I have one with a bad motor right now. I need to pull it apart but I believe I sheared the main drive shaft. Mine is apparently one of the sought after models because it has the 8 speed trans. What I'm not sure of is the correct way to set the timing. I watch the local guy do it once. I only wish I had asked more questions. I believe he has passed away or close to it. I saw basically his entire shop on eBay being handle by a third party. So if you know how to, please share.

Anyway, I own the 30" bush hog, 40" finish, snow plow, rotary plow like yours a sulky, the saw blade for the 30" and the old cultivator which was made before the rotary plow. I came across a guy who had 2 chainsaws but wouldn't sell me one. I've seen the backhoe once on eBay but they wanted 3500 for it. I still have an idea of where I could find one if I began looking. A ditch witch was on eBay that I would have liked to buy. I saw a log saw for making firewood and a splitter attachment. But my next addition after I get mine running again with be the tiller attachment. I need it with all the clay around here.
I grew up using a Gravely tractor. I spent most of the Summer in my teen years cutting hay with a sickle bar, raking hay, plowing gardens for neighbors and brush hogging with a Gravely. I put a set of rings in my Dad's Gravely when I was 13 years old and I've rebuilt several of them since. I love these old machines, I have an L8, a couple of LI's and another one that may be an L model. Timing is very easy to set. If your's has a Waco mag, turn the motor over by hand until it comes up on the compression stroke. Remove the spark plug and insert a screw driver in the hole to touch the top of the piston. The piston should be on top and just starting down when you hear the mag snap. If not, loosen the bolt on the cam shaft coupling and either advance or retard until you get it just right. You may also want to clean the points and reset them to .015 or just replace them and the condenser if they're pitted. As far as a sheared main drive shaft, I doubt that it's sheared but rather it has come uncoupled. If you're using a grader blade, make sure it has the bolt in the end to keep the internal drive shaft from sliding forward. I've seen this happen several times and people cant understand why it kicks out of gear and won't move. If I lived closer to you, I'd help you get that thing back in tip top shape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.