Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Took me off the payroll. >

Took me off the payroll.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Took me off the payroll.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Took me off the payroll.

I moved up here in 01 and got a job in a Rehab center. I've been a maintenance person for all my life. Not like a janitor but a repair and trouble shooting of big jobs and equipment.
I retired last Feb. I just didn't want to shovel snow for 30 + hours aday anymore! While doing this i had to fix broken water lines elec problems,keep the plow trucks running and the salter going!
I was used to working in the steel miles and the deep mines of Pa. I thought i went to heaven? A clean job,the pay sucked,but i could get benifits!
I am not real smart but the guys i was working with and were to train me were such bone heads,i didn't believe they paid them!!!!!!! Thats another story i will tell you guys if you want to here them?
Anyways,i went to the place,last week,to see how they were doing. One or two of them had put in 50+ hours of over time for snow and frozen pipes.These guys were beat up! I an thinking"Why didn't you call me?"
Before i could ask the boss,he says" I took you off the payroll so i could hire another guy?" I got my answer!{I was part time when needed.}
As things go,the company pulled a drug test on the whole place!!!!!
Well one guy felled,he's gone. Another one,whom was good worker,finds out he has stage 4 cancer,another one is dumber than a rock! The guy who took my place,he has worked there for 11 years,is about worked to death!!!!! I was the supers, Asst.
The boss called me ,yesterday and wished i could come back! I said ask me. He did and what do you think i told him.
Being taken off the payroll was the same as being fired?????
I said 4 words to him G.T.H. and lastly,suffer!!!{ It was 4 below and they were digging up a broken water main!}
Guys,i could tell you some stories!

Last edited by mounting man; 02-23-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spell
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for you, Mounting Man. I have been told many a time that I am either over qualified or too old or my health isn't good enough. Seems that they prefer the village idiot as staff over someone that knows what they are doing. Times have changed to favor those that couldn't find their arse with both hands, a map and a mirror. We have given our all and have disabilities and bodily aches from the abuse that we have delivered to our bodies over the years, and are now considered the refuse of yesteryear. The new young workforce is in for a real eye opener when they get to our age and find that they are not wanted anymore.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Being taken off the payroll was the same as being fired?????
I said 4 words to him G.T.H. and lastly,suffer!!!"

You may live to regret this.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Oldtimr,I doubt i will regret it. The reason i was only part time is i retired. This is the second time i've retired! The first was from the deep mines of Pa.
I stayed part time to help him because of the crew he has left.Right now,i know he regrets taking me off the payroll,he told me. The thing is he can't undo it!!!
It was 12 below,here last night!!!! I was home and they were outside fixing some thing.
I have an income with my penition and SS.The hot young babe i'm married to,shes only 63,still works!!!!!!
Oh,and all you folks that spell really well and the English majors,just read my stuff ,its from my heart,i know what i mean to say!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Employers (and everybody else) gets what they pay for and then they pay for what they got. Sounds like your former boss made a money-only decision and has lived/learned to regret it.

Many cities & counties are like that, often due to pension rules or laws, county/city policies, etc. They get pressure from above to do things a certain way. Then they willingly let senior staff go, thinking they're saving money because those senior people tend to cost more $$, etc. After the brain drain occurs, they tend to find out (belatedly) that they lost critical institutional knowledge, skills, etc. that the bosses don't know and the rest of the staff hasn't yet learned.

It happens a lot more frequently than people think and yes, it's really dumb and not the best business practice for long term efficiency.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just talking about this today, companies would rather hire a young person and try to train them rather than pay to hire someone with experience, I found out when I was laid off and went 2 years without a job.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

Well,i spent 7 hours going thru paper work,yesterday. Went for a drug test. The drug testing place is 20 miles away. I had them drive me there.{ This was part of if they wanted me back.} Also i got paid for the day and a little raise and I can work the hours i want.
It turns out my crew lost 3,yes 3 people to the drug test!!!!!!!!!!Who would have thought that a drug test would wipe out 50% of your crew????????