Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
SNOW and School delays???????? >

SNOW and School delays????????

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

SNOW and School delays????????

Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

A lot of stuff was shut down yesterday, schools, courts, state offices.

The snow finally stopped yesterday morning, but, amazingly, they plowed our street in the early afternoon. I didn't think that would happen until tomorrow.

Lots of people don't clear their sidewalks so daddy drove the girls to school. It's hard for them to walk in the snow especially since they're smaller than average anyway.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is getting tough on the animals, last two storms have put over 4 feet on the ground, it is nice and fluffy so the animals should be able to dig through to the ground, and the good is all animals, coyotes included, are going to sink in.

Here's hoping for an early spring, this could get tough, 4+ feet of snow and COLD is not a good combo
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are still getting quite a bit of snow and there is very little let up last night we recieve around 8 inches which is nothing to us.. However we are running out of places to put it.. In the eastport area it has been recorded a total of 67 inches in 10 days not with standing the snow from last night. ( Which now holds our state record for 10 days of snowfall.. )
We currently are being warned of up to 2 feet more Monday night and early Tues. The street are hard to pull out in because of the snow banks.. I just finished shoveling a 6 foot drift off one of my roofs.. I hope this stuff will stay away for a while.. Oh well it is what it is..
Old 02-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Banned

Bob, Deep fluffy snow is very hard on turkey because they cannot feed in it, it also makes four legged animals work harder to move around and burn calories they can't really afford to use. Grouse are about the only species that isn't hurt by it since they bury in it for shelter and they can get their food from tree buds. Deep fluffy snow is not really good news for most wildlife.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-07-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up in the mountains in Colorado and I can remember very, very few times when school was canceled on account of snow. When it was canceled it was due to several feet of it and high winds. Now it seems that they cancel it whenever a single flake falls.

Times change. When I grew up you rarely saw a vehicle in the ditch. Now, if you painted a road white in July some idiot would spin out and get stuck. But back then, people that had 4x4s knew how to drive them and weren't just city folk trying to look "cool" like now. How many 4x4s do you think are sold these days that will never get off a paved road?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If our bus had a snowplow on it we would have 0 snow days.LOL but like others said liabilities...now they still run most days unless its super icy out. but they have a ton of other half day, or days that they never had when I went to school.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love them! I am a Steamfitter for the School District of Philadelphia and I get a FREE Day off from work. Last year I got 7 days off from storms! Let it snow, Let snow,Let it snow!!LOL!!!!! Thats more time in the woods with PAY!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Good lord it's saftey for the kid's plain and simple I live in the Upper peninsula of Michigan yes we get alot of snow and cold,If it's not safe for driving or extreme cold they don't go
Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I can recall that is very different is that they used to use sand and salt on the roads up here.. That has changed to just salt now which with the extreme cold we have been getting this year does little good on our roads. The sand used to give a lot better traction and the straight salt put on in a liguid form does nothing for us. It is very much unefeective until the weather warms up some.. Oh well the weather will change again someday.. Soon hopefully but it does not look that way right now with another blizzard rolling in here today..
Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

when I was in grade school the school was in the same town that we lived in. we could walk to school unless it was really too cold to go outside. when I went to high school the school was 20 miles away and sometimes the buses couldn't make it if there was too much snow. so much for concolidateing schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.