Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Airline Problems >

Airline Problems

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Airline Problems

Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Airline Problems

Recently went through a nightmare with American Airlines. Have talked to a supervisor, a manager, and a head agent. About to file a complaint on-line and with the BBB.

My advice: calling the 1-800 number was next to useless.

The "head agent" was very friendly, and also pretty much useless. I did get a meal voucher worth $12 in an airport where a bottle of water cost $5.48.

The "manager" was a con artist. Young, lovely, smooth talker, and had a disappearing act second to none. She paged me just a few minutes before my flight home was (finally) boarding. I was exhausted and distraught, after several sleepless nights, the night before being spent in Chicago/O'Hare, and trying desperately to get home for my mother's funeral. She was extremely pleasant and had me agreeing to their "offer" before I thought about it. She then proceeded to disappear just as my flight began to board.

Long story short, I tried re-booking to get home sooner after getting the news my mother had passed, after falling ill 2.5 days earlier. That was my first mistake. Re-booking cost almost $1,200. I later found out that I could have just bought a one-way ticket out-right for a bit over $600. The $200 charge for changing a flight isn't waived anymore, even for deaths in the family.

My first flight was screwed up and took a while and a lot of legwork to get fixed, once we finally figured out the problem. Thankfully I had saved my itinerary in my e-mail and could pull it up on my phone. If not for that, I might still be there. I was flying out of Harrisburg, PA. They had me flying out of Harford, CT.

Weather delays caused me to miss my connection in Chicago. We were offered a hotel at half price, but because it was so late when we arrived and my morning flight was SUPPOSED to leave early, I opted to just stay there. We weren't offered a meal voucher. I got my new ticket, found a spot to settle in, and sat there for a few hours and let my phone re-charge.

Next morning my flight was delayed. I'd been up since around 4 am and had been walking the terminal to keep my mind off what was coming. Finally my flight was boarding. I get in line and the lady says "This isn't your flight--this flight is going to Memphis". I said, yes, that's where I'm going. She pointed out my ticket--which I had neglected to pay attention to (my fault) said "Madison, WI". Arrgghhhh!!!

Here we go again. What a mess. I get my new ticket but have to wait yet again on another flight. I call the 800 number and get a woman who became quite irate with me after I asked her if the "solution" she offered me would be acceptable to her if the tables were turned.

Since I had over 4 more hours to kill, I request a "head agent". Took way too long, but he finally arrived. He put on a good show. He was so sorry, offered his most sincere condolences, studied the paperwork intensely, and was going to "personally walk the paperwork" to wherever it was going. He would call me as soon as he got it taken care of and was oh so sorry for the mess.

Then, right before boarding, I get paged and talk to the "manager". At this point I'm just about done, mentally and physically. I was exhausted, distraught, and just wanted to get home to prepare for my mother's wake that evening. She too put on a great show, and it didn't hurt that she was gorgeous and very friendly. She played her part to a "T". She told me her name (which I immediately forgot) and if I had any other problems whatsoever just let her know and she would personally attend to it. Of course she gave me no number or business card or any other means of contact.

The final offer? I got a $350 travel voucher in return for spending near $2,000 dollars.

The original ticket was around $450. Changing my flight was near $1,200. I don't remember what 3 meals (McDonald's, a breakfast plate at the Cub's bar, and an appetizer at Chilli's) cost me--probably a good thing. And a good 24 hours of my time. All that and I got home maybe 7 hours earlier than my original flight.

For this they offer me a voucher worth about 1/6 of what I'd spent so I can come spend more money with them!

Next stop, the AA website and the BBB website.

I've flown quite a bit, and know folks that fly regularly. I've never known of anyone having anywhere near the problems I had, and I left some of it out!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss and prayers for your mom, you and your family. Maybe add your local congressperson to the list you contact. A little extra heat can sometimes go a long way.

Cal
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Little Doe Peep

Red face

We're sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.

It's good to know that death of the body is not the end.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mom, as well as the hard time with the airline.. Sending my condolences to you and the family..
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Dominant Buck

LBR, sorry to hear about your loss.

As for the airlines, nope there isn't any break for funerals. There are also certain airports are no gos for certain times of the year. Chicago is a no go anytime of the year unless you deadened there.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for your loss LBR. I hate flying and opt to drive whenever possible. We flew through Chi-town on the return from Colorado but were lucky and made all the connections. I always try to stay away from American Airlines. I find them expensive with poor service. Now with their recent merger it is getting more difficult to stay away from them. The government shouldn't allow them to merge since in the end it takes away from passengers options. Once it gets down to just a couple of carriers on a given route the prices go up and the service gets worse.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Just noticed last night that the travel voucher I was tricked into accepting states that by accepting it, I basically relieve AA of any responsibility on that flight. I should have known better.

I do have an ace in the hole though. That flight wasn't the only one that was totally screwed up. I believe I was charged for the wrong flight to begin with. They had me leaving from Hartford, CT when I was actually flying from Harrisburg, PA.

We'll see. I despise dishonest people.