Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Rating different On-Line protection programs >

Rating different On-Line protection programs

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Rating different On-Line protection programs

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rating different On-Line protection programs

I have finally retired from my old job of 35 years (overhauling hydro generators) and started my new job (overhauling hydro generators for someone else) all in one week’s time.
One requirement for the new job was that I have internet service. I bought a mobile hot-spot device to meet that requirement. I am currently using MacAfee for on-line protection but it is such a resource hog. I am considering switching to AVG, has anyone had any experience with MacAfee verses AVG? The local newspaper tech section touts AVG over MacAfee for the very reasons that I hate MacAfee.

I thank you for any insights/advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks
Mr-(still living in an analog world) Pirk
Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm interested in hearing the responses to this one, as I'm going to be purchasing protection latter this week.

I currently have the free protection "Microsoft security Essentials". I thought that I was in good shape with that protection... Not so!!!

Yesterday it cost me $149.00 to have the malware removed from my laptop. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

I read a review recently which gave the highest ratings to Kaspersky and Bitdefender. AVG was also rated highly and you can download a free version which is rated just as high but doesn't have the bells and whistles.

Anti-virus programs are not great with malware. A really good one is Malwarebytes which you can download free. We downloaded a free calendaring software, but it brought along an ad popup program which would come right back after we uninstalled it. Malwarebytes removed three instances of that program right away. We were so impressed we bought it. It's inexpensive.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sachiko, do you know if malwarebytes works on all user accounts once you've downloaded it?

I ask because when we bought this laptop I set up an owner account which is the one I use.

As I was putzing around learning about the new puter I also set up another user account.

The malware only affected my owner account. I was able to contact Microsoft using the second user account... It was the first time I used the account.

I'm wondering if I need to download malwarebytes to both accounts?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Sachiko, do you know if malwarebytes works on all user accounts once you've downloaded it?

I ask because when we bought this laptop I set up an owner account which is the one I use.

As I was putzing around learning about the new puter I also set up another user account.

The malware only affected my owner account. I was able to contact Microsoft using the second user account... It was the first time I used the account.

I'm wondering if I need to download malwarebytes to both accounts?
My wife is still on campus but I know that neither one of us would be able to answer that question.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was able to access it, and run a scan on the other account via all programs.

Not sure if I needed to run it on the other account though.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have experience with Macafee but I can attest to AVG. I have been using this on my laptop for a few years now, both the AVG Internet Security and the AVG Tune-UP. I highly recommend getting both of them. I have had several hack attempts at stuff trying to get into my computer and AVG has stopped them. Plus it doesn't ruin my speed. I think it actually sped things up as the program went through and helped me to delete things that I wasn't using or that were just taking up space.