Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Whats for lunch today

Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scalloped taters and ham. Dusted with fresh ground Aleppo and black pepper. Ham was all the left over edges from the small end of a country ham. . Used Cabot's Alpine White Cheddar. It was on sale for $2.50 a 6oz block. Man is it tasty well browned. Kinda got a Swiss, cheddar and Parm thing going on with it.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks good, one of my favorite meals. No pictures but I made dry venison in white gravy over biscuits with eggs over easy on top. It was from my Oct doe and it was delicious. Next time it will be over raw fried potatoes and onions.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Elk tips and noodles

Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ham and beans. Finally the country ham is gone. I used a type of bean used in Peru. We call them canary beans. They call them mayocoba or Peruano beans. They are delicious mashed and refried too. Added some baby carrot and more celery near the end. Cooked just long enough they had a little crunch left.

Little bit of zip of fresh crushed mild powder.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

GM, here is a recipe for you to try, or anyone for that matter. It is a different take on oyster stew. It is killer and very rich. I got this about ten years ago from the chef in a restaurant where I first tasted it.

Pink Oyster Stew

This is a per bowl recipe

2 Tbsp butter

6 or 7 select or extra select oysters, liquor strained off

2 oz Chili sauce

1 oz Worcestershire sauce

tsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed

1 cup heavy cream

salt, pepper, small bit of finely diced garlic to taste. You may leave out the garlic if you like.

Heat the cream in a separate small pot to just below boiling

In a different pot melt the butter till bubbling and add the oysters til the edges curl do not over cook

Next add 2 oz Chili sauce and 1 oz Worcestershire sauce. I use a shot glass to measure

If you want garlic add now and stir the sauce and oysters. Add oyster liquor and stir

Next add the hot cream to the pot stir and mix well and bring the whole thing to just to a boil but not a , taste for salt and add to taste as well as the fresh ground black pepper. It is important that the cream be hot and the pot with the oysters and sauce be hot or the cream will break. Serve immediately

Serve with your favorite oyster crackers, mine are OTC crackers.

I have found that sticking to the by the bowl recipe instead of doubling or tripling it you get a much better flavor. It isn't that hard if you do your preparation ahead of time.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I may try that Christmas eve. Oyster stew and garlic bread is often our dinner that night. Im not a big oyster fan other than fried or in stew and only if they are fresh.....Wellll they are pretty good in stuffing/dressing too.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had not made it for a while so I made it last night for dinner with shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. It was as good as I remembered. It sure would be a good Christmas eve presentation. Let me know what you think if you make it.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is more of a shout out for a insanely good but also crazy hot sauce. If you like super hot sauce this one is top shelf. Use in moderation or suffer the cramps. I can handle the burn but man it kills me as it gets past the stomach. This sauce has so much flavor its rather deceiving how hot it is.

Peruvian style chicken thighs on a bed of Spanish rice. They are pretty mild without the Burns & McCoy and pretty brutal with it.

Just four drops per hotdog took "Reuben dogs" from mild to pretty wild. The only other spice was from the semi spicy homemade kraut.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ham and cheese sandwich on toast with miracle whip

-Jake

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service