Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Whats for lunch today

Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 AM
New Sheriff

Originally Posted by Chuck7 View Post
Today...Fresh strawberry shortcake...
Oh my..yummy
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Usually same lunch everyday, same as breakfast.

Rice, soup (usually miso), and otsukemono.

Sometimes if there is some leftover pork or chicken or fish from supper, we might have that with noodles.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Growing up we always had fresh homemade pickles including pickled cauliflower. I love dill/sour pickled veggies but i never could get a taste for sweet pickles or bread and butter pickles.

Until...i tried the Asian styles. Im still not a huge fan of the sweet pickled cucumbers but its growing on me. I like the style with a little heat with the sweetness. Sweet and spicy Korean Mu or Daikon radish is simple and fairly quick to make from scratch.

Saeng-Chae aka Moo or Mu Saeng Chae
http://koreanfood.about.com/od/sided...hae-Recipe.htm

There is a similar recipe for regular cabbage and carrots too. Its not like Napa cabbage Kimchi. Its sweet and sour with just a hint of heat.

Another one i really like that is simple is preserved mustard green soup. I usually soak mine in cold water before use because they are very salty.

Its not really a raddish. Something got lost in the translation and they are more green. Its not quite what most of us think of as "greens" either.

I love these in a simple chicken or beef broth soup. I normally make all my soup stock from scratch too without additional salt added. Unsalted dried large anchovies, kelp and dried mushrooms make a great fish stock. Salted work ok if you soak them in water for a few minutes and rinse. I add a few dried shrimp to mine sometimes. IMO this anchovy broth is a MUST for many Korean stews aka Jjigae. There are plenty of good recipes for this fish stock on the web. I like it mixed with chicken or pork stock too.

Im a huge soup fan and i got tired of paying the insane prices at the restaurants. A big bag of fish, shrimp or cuttlefish "meatballs" cost about the same price as one bowl with only four in it.

I found some made with pork and cuttlefish im trying today in my version of Korean Jjamppong with buckwheat noodles.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-16-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Rib eye steak grilled with cherry wood

Fresh broccoli

Sweet potato

Strawberry short cake
Old 03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
New Sheriff

Originally Posted by Chuck7 View Post
Rib eye steak grilled with cherry wood

Fresh broccoli

Sweet potato

Strawberry short cake
Now you're just rubbing it in..
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Not really 4pt....when your used to eatting fillet mignon..rib eyes can be disappointing. Not that I'm rich...I get the mignon for about 7.00 a steak. The rib eyes were very poor quality.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

today im eatin smoked brisket, taters, beans, and pie. at Hinkles Prime Cut Angus Cow Sale, in Nevada Missouri.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Reading over some of these lunches, I'm wondering if some of you guys have trouble staying trim.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

After i quit drinking soda everyday i lost quite a bit of weight. i didn't gain any when i quit smoking either. I might have 1-2 sodas a month now and i now drink mostly unsweetened tea with lemon.

Probably the most fattening thing i eat now are the curries with coconut milk. I eat a lot of Jasmine rice with it. Ive gotten really good at cooking rice without it sticking or burning the bottom. Im too cheap to buy a rice steamer.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

PB&J with a thermos of coffee out on the ice. Same every day I fish which is just about every day. I certainly burn more calories than I take in.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service