Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

My Dad Passed

Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default My Dad Passed

He's been in bad shape for a long time. Funeral was today, and for lack of better words it was the "best" funeral I've ever attended.

We didn't have a preacher, we didn't have a choir. We had friends and family speaking from the heart. A cousin who we (my brother and I) grew up with gave the best euology I've ever heard. He referred to my dad as a "legend". He called our house the "welcome center" of our community. My dad had been called the "mayor" of our community for as long as I can remember. He said "Charlie let us grow up. He'd give us enough rope to hang ourselves, but he was always there to loosen the noose." "In closing, and most importantly...his word was his bond. He never let a man down.". My dad raised a lot of kids that weren't his by blood, but were his all the same. Some have said he was more of a dad to them than their biological fathers. He was old school hard, but had a soft heart. He was generous to a fault.

My dad taught me a lot. I told my son if he could live up to be half the man his grandpa was, he would be great. I wish everyone could have the blessing of a father like I had. He was one of a kind.

His legacy showed in the crowd at the funeral home. The viewing line was literally out the door and into the parking lot, even though we rushed everything for the sake of my mom and he had already out-lived most of his old running buddies. He passed Saturday morning, the funeral was this morning (Monday) at 10. I know lots of people still don't even know about it.

My mom is doing great--much better than we expected. She is the perfect compliment to such a great man.

She opted to stay at the nursing home where they have been together a little over a year, after docs said my dad couldn't go back home and required 24/7 care. She has become the Matriarch of the nursing home. Many of the workers talk to her and ask for advice. Her room is the break room and hideaway. I lost count of how many of the nurses and CNA's there asked us "She's going to stay with us, isn't she? She's not going to leave us, is she?" Just like my dad, she's always been a mother to many more than just her two biological sons, and she continues to be.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thoughts and prayers your way. I pray your family will find comfort with each other and through the memories. I feel for you as I lost my own father just last July. He was a month short of his 93rd b-day, struggled from stokes the past 7 years, and left a legacy of love and lessons. I'm still working through the loss. He was my best friend, and a co-worker from 1970 until just 6 years ago when the strokes made it too difficult to play his instruments in our band anymore.

The greatest generation is almost gone.

God Bless you and yours sir.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

so sorry to hear of your loss. my condulances to you and your familiy.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Very sorry to hear this. Congrats on the legacy of a great man. Make him proud and give more love to your mom than you think possible, as she was part of his legacy.

Prayers and respect from me to yours. God bless.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost my father to lung cancer last fall. It is quite a blow to absorb. I find there are many things I would like to talk to him about or advice to ask for and no longer can. For me, that is the hardest thing to deal with.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM
New Sheriff

Sounds like a nice tribute to what a bet was a great man.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss LBR, and my condolences to you and your family.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face

We're sorry to hear of your loss.

But it sounds like he left a legacy that will live on long after. He may have moved on, but he's not really gone.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

God Bless you and your family . Im lucky enough to still have my dad who I still get to hunt with and ask advice. He is retired and works for me a couple days a week and Im so very blessed to still have my best friend. Prayers for you and your family.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR View Post
He's been in bad shape for a long time. Funeral was today, and for lack of better words it was the "best" funeral I've ever attended.

We didn't have a preacher, we didn't have a choir. We had friends and family speaking from the heart. A cousin who we (my brother and I) grew up with gave the best euology I've ever heard. He referred to my dad as a "legend". He called our house the "welcome center" of our community. My dad had been called the "mayor" of our community for as long as I can remember. He said "Charlie let us grow up. He'd give us enough rope to hang ourselves, but he was always there to loosen the noose." "In closing, and most importantly...his word was his bond. He never let a man down.". My dad raised a lot of kids that weren't his by blood, but were his all the same. Some have said he was more of a dad to them than their biological fathers. He was old school hard, but had a soft heart. He was generous to a fault.

My dad taught me a lot. I told my son if he could live up to be half the man his grandpa was, he would be great. I wish everyone could have the blessing of a father like I had. He was one of a kind.

His legacy showed in the crowd at the funeral home. The viewing line was literally out the door and into the parking lot, even though we rushed everything for the sake of my mom and he had already out-lived most of his old running buddies. He passed Saturday morning, the funeral was this morning (Monday) at 10. I know lots of people still don't even know about it.

My mom is doing great--much better than we expected. She is the perfect compliment to such a great man.

She opted to stay at the nursing home where they have been together a little over a year, after docs said my dad couldn't go back home and required 24/7 care. She has become the Matriarch of the nursing home. Many of the workers talk to her and ask for advice. Her room is the break room and hideaway. I lost count of how many of the nurses and CNA's there asked us "She's going to stay with us, isn't she? She's not going to leave us, is she?" Just like my dad, she's always been a mother to many more than just her two biological sons, and she continues to be.
Sounds like good folks. Sorry for your loss, condolences and prayers out to you and your family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.