Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Week in the backcountry in the woods >

Week in the backcountry in the woods

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Week in the backcountry in the woods

Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Week in the backcountry in the woods

I was thinking and came back to a idea me and some buddies had last summer. Basically the four of us was gonna pack up some small tents and such hike through the woods for a week.

Well my buddy is moving out to colorado with me. We got talking bout doing it here this summer. Now we both experienced hunters fishermen and iv done some hiking in some remote spots. Though we have done lot of camping not like we are planning but i think planned out and done right one hell of an aventure and a story to tell

I aldo realize not like indiana going at this without planning could be costly or fatal. So here is my plan and what so far i feel we would need for safety and to keep things fun

First plan our route out to a T what trails were take were we plan to stop each night and when and where we will be back. Give it to my family just in case. Plus im pretty sure were i want to do it ill have cell signal as i always have near there but plan a few could radios just in case

My gear list
Light weight tent for hiking
Light weight backpack
Lightweight sleeping bags
Water filter bottles the kind u fill up and drink out of
Water purifer tablets just in case
Lighter extra lighter and a magnesium strip and striker and fire starter like cotton balls with vasalin or the fire sticks u buy
Hiking food such as granola protein bars beef jerky (in small air tight sealed bags)
Compass and a gps
Knife on us and second in pack
Small lightweight fishing pole( mans gotta fish)
2 way radios with good distance
First aid kit
Signal mirror
Flash light with extra batteries
Rope thats light weight to pull food up in tree. Or just in case
Change of clothes

Stuff i think might be a plus
One of the hiking gps things incase we get lost some one can track us down
Hand flare or flare gun(idk bout this one being hot flame in woods in summer cause only u can prevent foors fires
Even in an emergency i dont wonna set the woods on fire
Glow sticks just in case

My thought with the hiking food is it would limit or remove the need for a fire incase their is a fire ban at the time
Do you guys think thats a good gear list so far anything im missing or prob wont need.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

You only live once and you're not getting younger. My neighbor before he grew up, spent several summers working for the forestry service rebuilding trails out west. They would hike of horseback in for 3 weeks at a time. My other neighbors daughter did this last summer. Also, if you would like a smaller, just as fun experience in the woods, the Appalachian Trail offers a lot of fun and scenery. It also offers drop in and out spots to refresh your supplies and determin your distance.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

something to consider is a hand pump water filter,
water filter bottles dont provide much and their filters are generally limited to already clean water
i use a katadyne hiker pro, and makes the nastiest swamp water safe to drink. sawyer is also a good brand.
for food, see you listed trail food but not real food.
if you plan on hunting for food
what is available to hunt in the area at that time?
should pack at least minimal foods to get you through it so not relying 100% on hunted food.
dry foods such as pasta, rice/ beans(prefer lentils as no need to soak)
flour( can make flat breads)
powdered milk for that morning coffee.
if fire ban is an issue see if that applies to camp stoves? hiker stoves.
can also pack some cans of chafing fuel and cook with that , they provide like 4 hr burn time.
i keep a couple cans at camp just in case
and usually carry a couple small cans with 1 hr burn time in my pack just in case
Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget the water purification tablets, forget campstoves....

Get a jetboil. they make different sizes. it will boil 2 cups of water in less than 3 minutes.

It will kill any bugs in the water you collect, without making the water taste "funny".
get freeze dried campfood, Dicks sporting goods has some that tastes great! It comes in a 2 serving pouch. that 2 servings will feed one person. you will need 4 pouches per day per person. Plus snacks.

AS for water....how long will you be out there? how hot is it out there?

Planning, or overplanning?

Sometimes having plans can be good. Sometimes it can be bad...
Lets say you plan this trip to a T, and leave a message where you will be every step of the way, include where you will camp.

Then you get out there, BUT....
where you planned on camping, you can't so you go to a different spot.
What if something happened, or you and your friends decided to take a different trail than the one you "planned".

If you want to "plan" this, maybe you should get the other 3 guys together and include them on this "planning" thing...

8 knives but only 4 people? in the backwoods and no hatchet? I guess all four of you will attack a piece of wood with all 8 knives and whittle it in two...
Lightweight tents? how many? each one should sleep at least two...which 2 will be carrying them? or will each one of you have one by yourself? Instead of tenst, maybe an 8X10 tarp per person. They make a great tube tent, and are lightweight. You will need paracord to go with it.

Personally i think the planning should be who carries what, not what trails you will use, or where you will camp....especially if it is an unknown location....That part of planning should be, "we go in at "X" and come out at "Z" at XX:XX oclock on somesuch day.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

I would carry some road flares that burn for 15 minutes. They will make it easy to start a camp fire even if the wood is somewhat wet. July and August can bring some rain in Colorado.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Its just gonna be two of us on this trip
I did not think of a hatchet though diff a good idea

Id agree with one of the small stoves like u all suggested

I have been on a few spots of the Appalachian trail. We lived in hot springs NC. My dad and i hiked bout ten miles of it and ended up hiking the rough side of clingmans dome. All the tourist who went up the front were shocked i was 400 pounds and laughin at the top while they gausped for their breathes lol

My dad got me hiking when we lived in ky. Love it. Thinkin of inviting him on the trip
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

U are not wrong when we moved here we camped all of aug waiting for our condo to empty out. Every day dang near it rained but it would for 5 mins maybe an hour or to normally
But wood gets wet quick
Originally Posted by c-rad View Post
I would carry some road flares that burn for 15 minutes. They will make it easy to start a camp fire even if the wood is somewhat wet. July and August can bring some rain in Colorado.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't forget to bring a dog or 2 along with your trip.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...agnetic-field/
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

.22 revolver
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Somethings I'd bring...I was a foot soldier .Infantry lol for 4 years

I have a permit so my lightweight 38 is going
I wouldn't be bringing a GPS I'm very good with a compass...would bring a spare compass
I have 5 headlamps...I'd bring 2 with extra batteries.
I have 5 mi range walkie talkies ...would bring extra batteries for them too
Cell phone and car charger
Cash hidden somewhere in the car 100.00
A pack of Bic lighters and 4 boxes of matches
Napkins to use for toiletry
Foot powder
Extra socks , t shirt and underwhere
New Testament Great reading material

In my vehicle....cans of food, sterno, drinking water, nice sleeping bag incase it gets cold
Your own firewood, folding wood saw, a spool of 50 pound test rope..1/4 inch
A whistle ..frying pan for the fish, small pan for boiling water for coffee. 3 boxes of sterno ...make your Sterno oven from a soup can...coffee or t bags

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-12-2014 at 11:56 AM.