Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

FJ Cruiser

Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default FJ Cruiser

Anyone have one of these or driven one? I have to say I was extremely impressed with it. I rented one last week and put 1400 miles in it. It was very comfortable to drive and did well in the snow. I looked it up on edmunds to find the write up was mostly positive saying it was more refined than a jeep. I would have to agree. For once, a Toyota I really enjoyed driving. 2014 is the last year they will be making it and the resale on it has been rediculous. 12k loss after 6 years? Serious?

I've been looking for a new car. I've really been looking at a 4 dr sedan with a lot of horsepower. Been thinking going with one that has a lot of cylinders and/or a supercharger. However, this FJ gave me something to think about. Just wondering if anyone owns one?

Last edited by Fieldmouse; 12-13-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My stepson and his wife bought a new one in 2010. I didn't drive it, but we rode around town when they came to visit. It was very comfortable. What impressed me was the quick acceleration when he stomped on it to show off. I don't know what the newer ones are like.

He didn't have it long. He gets bored with vehicles. I think he is addicted to seeing the first 5,000 miles tick off, and then he starts looking again.

I'm just the opposite. This year was the first year in a long time I have had a car payment.

I would have loved to see the off road capabilities of the Cruiser. He pulled his boat with it a few times, but that was about it.

C. Davis

Last edited by C. Davis; 12-14-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I had lets say some large people in the car and driving in the mountains with cruise set. The speedometer stayed exactly where I set it. There was zero fluxuation even going up a hill or cresting.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Re: the Toyota cruise-control characteritics .... I've had 2 Toyotas and the cruise controls are excellent and unvarying.

My Dodge pick-up, on the other hand, can change as much as 12 MPH on a hill.

My Bro-in-laws sister has had an FJ for a bout 3-4 years, and loves it.

She lives in CA ad likes to hike and takes the FJ to the mountains often to access good hiking. She says she's had it in some dicey situations and it was up to the task and then some.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with you regarding the Chryslers. They are my least favorite vehicle on the road. I cringe when the rental car companies give me a 300 because yes, the cruise control has that much of a swing. I run folks off the road for not being able to maintain speed on the highway. You get one chance with me. Then you will never pass me again.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a Ford man. Always have been. Right now I own 4 Ford trucks: 1970 F250, 1978 F-150 4x4, 2002 Ranger and a 2006 F250 SuperDuty Diesel. But I have to admit if I ever had an uncontrollable desire to buy Japanese, the FJ would be on the short list I'd look at.

As it sits though, don't think I'll be in the market for a vehicle in quite awhile.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at them with the ex wife I liked it unlike the 4runner it's built on a truck chassis. I see alot around here because they are true 4x4
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Funny, I'm driving a 4Runner this week because they didn't have one on the lot. Never have been in one. Though I did put a lift kit on my son's friends. Well they put it on with some help. Not nearly as nice as the FJ. I will say this, their stereo SUCKS!!!!! in both vehicles. Its a big negative. The BT is awful!