Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
life after highschool? a little help >

life after highschool? a little help

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

life after highschool? a little help

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
Join the military. Sounds like you need to grow up some and they will train you for a career.
i'm not going to join the military. I've talked to multiple people who joined in different branches and half of them regret it.

I am kind of interested in the marcellus shale industry. I know a few people who do that kind of work and its starting to boom. I can't tell you how many drills i've seen go up where i hunt.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/04...town-oil-jobs/

my dads friend is now in canada and he is a person who tells the crew where to drill. he said there is lots of money to be made. I'll have to talk to him more about it.

thanks everyone for the advice and experience, a lot of good info im getting from you guys.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The military is not for everyone, just like any job isn't for everyone either. Your friends may not have liked the military, but you may find its the best thing since sliced bread.
But you won't know unless you try it yourself, don't let others experiences make your decisions for you.
Either way, the stupidest people I have ever meet. Are the ones who decided to stop learning, after they finished school.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Air force is a good choice to get experience and to get a college education. 4 yr term goes quick..as does 20yrs...which I ended up doing...
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welding is a good choice like they told you. There is a shortage of good welders in the oil field. If you don't mind traveling you can make really good money. Though you will be outside working in weather from snow to over 100 degrees.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish you the best of luck. Please do not construe anything I may write as an attack or insult to you.

Many people your age simply have not developed a reliable decision making process. Said in another way, have some skepticism in any decision your mind reaches at this age. This is not meant as an insult. As I understand it, the portion of the brain that is engaged in decision making flat out is not fully wired at your age. I am not BSing here.

If you accept this as hypothetically true, what then? You have to make a choice, don't you? Well, sort of. You have to choose what you do next, for the next year. It is worth remembering that what you decide to do over the next year is NOT an immutable fork in the road. It is also worth remembering that time tends to slip away and is never recovered. You could choose to work your first year out of high school and then revisit the decision between attending college and working. When I left high school I had no intention of going to college. I grew up on a farm. My parents didn't go to college. I was not enthusiastic about high school. I went to work in a large industrial factory. I didn't like it. I found it frighteningly boring to contemplate working in that place until retirement. My sister, a year older than I, did go to college and extolled its virtues to me. I decided to go to college in about April of that first year out of high school. That year off between high school and college did me no harm.

I did find that attending college was different from high school. I found that I was very interested in learning. I found in time that I was in fact very strong academically. For me this is strong evidence of the lack of understanding and vision of young people of your age. I was -- and have been through much of my life -- an exhibit for lacking insight into the future. Now, however, at 57 years of age, I've got a few pieces of advice I think worth sharing with young people in your situation.

Human beings are often very limited in their vision. They don't always see what the future holds. It is worth having a clear vision of what you life in front of you will be like, in terms of major features. When you are out of school, you are going to work at least 40 hours per week for 48 weeks per year (2 weeks accumulate as holidays and 2 weeks as vacation, starting off). You will get married. You will live in a house that you pay for -- either as rent or as monthly mortgage payments. You will have two children. You will be the primary source of income in your household, and supporting a family is expensive. While working or not working may be an option when you are single, it isn't optional at this stage (married with children) of life. Also, trying new jobs isn't going to be easy -- you will take and keep the job that pays you the best money. It will be less important whether you like the job than that it provides sufficient income to pay the bills. Said in another way, it is astonishing how well people can like jobs that they didn't think they would like until they found those jobs paid better than other more "interesting" jobs. Certainly when I was in high school I would not have been pleased with the idea that I would spend my complete working life inside an office, in front of computers. Now, however, that seems natural, enjoyable (I'm sitting in front of a computer screen right now), engaging, interesting. My work -- writing patent applications, supervising the writing of patent applications by others, interviewing inventors now, writing computer software in various industries for the middle 14 years of my career -- is satisfying and generally interesting.

As your children get older, you may want to send them to college. Some people get financial aid to send their kids to college. I wouldn't count on that, however. If you can make enough money to send your kids to college, that would be more secure.

You will get older. If you are working in a manual labor or physically demanding job, when will you retire due to the inevitable decline of your body? I imagine it is hard to be 40 years old and doing heating and air conditioning work -- physically demanding work. What about at the age of 50?

Some occupations become obsolete over time. When I was a kid we had TV repairmen who would go to houses to fix TVs. Not any more. When I was fresh out of high school I worked in a large industrial factory. I understand a lot of our industrial assembly and manufacturing have moved offshore. I grew up in Illinois. I moved to Oklahoma and then to Texas. Texas is a more vibrant economy than that of Illinois. The Illinois economy may be bigger in terms of $$$$, but growth is not very rosy in Illinois. You may find that you have to relocate at some point in the future to a different state to provide for your family in the way you feel you want to. You need to think about what can be a flexible occupation.

When making your decision, you should bear in mind the future phases and forms that your life will take. You will get married, have children, get old. The economic and working environment will change.

My sense is that categorically the people with traditional 4-year college educations do better than high school graduates hands down, on the average. Sure, some people are going to start their own plumbing business and out earn Ph'D chemists working for Engulf and Devour Corporation. On average, however, the college educated is going to make more money, work under safer and more comfortable conditions, enjoy more job security, have more flexibility than the non-college educated. Not everyone who graduates from college does as well as every other college graduate. An engineering graduate will do better, on average, than a history graduate.

So I would urge you to not reject traditional college. If you can do the work, money should not be an issue. There are many viable ways to pay for a college education. Work and go to college at the same time. Borrow money. In the past employers used to provide tuition reimbursement to their employees. If you are not keen on college having spent the last 12 years in the school system . . . fine, take a year off and work. Sometimes that has a way of reinvigorating one's interest in study. If you do that, DO keep in touch with your classmates who DO go to college. Go visit them at college on a couple of weekends. Go to a college football game with them. Stay overnight in the dorm with them. It ain't like high school. It is very exciting and interesting. In a college with 24,000 students you are living with about 20,000 single kids your age away from home (about 4,000 students are liable to be graduate students and may be older and/or married).

And I don't know if you can be sure you CAN'T do the work in college based on your high school results. I don't think I was particularly good in high school but in the long run I excelled in college (though at first my performance was mediocre).

So. Have some skepticism about your decision making ability at this age. Do listen to advice from others, but don't feel obliged to commit to doing what they advise. Bear in mind you can change your path and change your mind -- if you don't take forever to do this! Once you are out of high school for 5 years and are married and have 2 children . . . that is not the time to be changing your mind! College works for most people and it is fun. Not everyone is suitable for college. It is hard to tell from one's high school success whether one can make it in college. Hard work contributes a lot to success in college. Another point . . . you don't have to be a genius to graduate from college. Some people graduate from college with straight As. Other people graduate from college with a C average. Hard work and sticking with it really count for a lot. If you just discipline yourself to do the work on time and attend class and study for tests, that in itself is going to give you a big advantage over maybe half the other students -- unless you are at a super elite university such as Harvard or Stanford.

Good luck. Life is good, particularly at your age.

Last edited by Alsatian; 09-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should have gone to college after the Marine Corp. I waited until my employer told me I need a degree to go further. Now I am graduating in April and most of the people I am going to school with are younger people out of the military. They are receiving BAH as well as a free education. I am now trying to get a job with the county and they asked for my college transcripts as well as my military paperwork.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by scottymack View Post
I should have gone to college after the Marine Corp. I waited until my employer told me I need a degree to go further. Now I am graduating in April and most of the people I am going to school with are younger people out of the military. They are receiving BAH as well as a free education. I am now trying to get a job with the county and they asked for my college transcripts as well as my military paperwork.
Congratulations Scotty. It's not easy to go back. I went back after I proposed to my wife and she said yes on the spot. Then it sunk in. What the heck did I just say? Now I have to actually grow up?". All I can say now, never date a redhead lol. They have always been my weakness.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your next job. I know of 2 people personally that have climbed into 300k/yr jobs without college education. It can been done but it's not easy. The main key is networking and making the right contacts. That goes for any person but even more important if you don't have an education to back up your resume.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree join your states National Guard. You'll have your college payed for, and only serve one weekend a month 2 weeks in the summertime. You'll leave for tarining then come back to your normal life. That way you could be trained on a job skill and have college payed for.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I'd read what Alsatian said very carefully--It's wise advice. Taking a year off from school and just working sometimes helps you figure out what you might be interested in doing for a career. Another thing you may have noticed in reading different posts on this subject is that many people switch jobs and even job fields during their work career. A lot of the guys giving you advice are over 50 and you're getting the extremely useful benefit of hindsight "after" a career has been worked.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The only advice I can offer is to follow your interests and do a job you like. Having a college degree opens many more doors especially if you are unsure of the field you are looking at. The military is a wonderful place to learn and experience things especially if a person is off to a rough start, needs discipline and school isn't a high priority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.