Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
No Entry into Canada with DUI >

No Entry into Canada with DUI

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

No Entry into Canada with DUI

Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Entry into Canada with DUI

I've been researching my upcoming trip to Canada and just found out that people who have had a DUI in the states aren't allowed in to Canada. Even if they are many years old. I was shocked at this. Never heard such a thing. I've been to Canada a few times and nobody has ever asked any questions about that kind of stuff.

Does this happen often? Or do all the horror stories I read on the internet make it to the internet because they are the horror stories? I've never talked to anybody who has even been questioned. Is it rare? Or common?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Canada, a DUI is a Federal offfence so regardless of the age of the offence, I think you need a pardon before you can legally enter Canada. They may have just missed you in the system.

Ron
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

someone specializes in this, the rules etc...

I think it has to be 3 or 5 years old, ie after all rehab/treatment/probation etc...

I personally know a guy who was detained at the border for I think 2 days when some college bar fight in texas he was in got him flagged, which was probably 15 years ago for him at the time, he had to fax/call some town in texas for 2 days before proceeding.

definitely something to look into before heading to canada with any kind of background/dui/any arrests really.

again I remember seeing some guy at one of the hunting shows who service specializes in this kind of stuff, the forms/approvals etc...
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

It's been that way for a long time. When a group of us went to Canada 2 years ago one of the guys had a DUI that was something like 12 years old. After going through a LOT of paperwork, he was able to get permission to enter. He said it took about 6 months to get permission! But in all the years of going to Canada, note of us has ever been asked or checked (that I know of) for a DUI.

Canada is deadly serious about alcohol. We only found out about 6 years ago that no alcohol , opened or unopened, is allowed in a boat in Ontario!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was nail with an OUI which is the same thing that you call a DUI 27 years ago.. I am not allowed to cross the border no more.. I had crossed it for years until one day they pulled me into customs. I tried to explain that I had been over there thousands of times since then but that didn't matter any to them. All they could say was that was ok because I never was told before. I ended up getting a 30 day pass to go over which came with a price tag and was allowed tp cross freely until it expired. I never even tried to get the border crossing straightened out because it would of cost me a lot more dollars.. That would then be based on a maybe we will let you cross when ever or maybe we will not.. I think now with the all the new border rules you ( if you have a DUI ) would not make it past customs. Unless you have a pass port or a NEXTUS card..
Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine View Post
I was nail with an OUI which is the same thing that you call a DUI 27 years ago.. I am not allowed to cross the border no more.. I had crossed it for years until one day they pulled me into customs. I tried to explain that I had been over there thousands of times since then but that didn't matter any to them. All they could say was that was ok because I never was told before. I ended up getting a 30 day pass to go over which came with a price tag and was allowed tp cross freely until it expired. I never even tried to get the border crossing straightened out because it would of cost me a lot more dollars.. That would then be based on a maybe we will let you cross when ever or maybe we will not.. I think now with the all the new border rules you ( if you have a DUI ) would not make it past customs. Unless you have a pass port or a NEXTUS card..
You can get a passport with a DUI...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think now with the all the new border rules you ( if you have a DUI ) would not make it past customs. Unless you have a pass port or a NEXTUS card..
Does a passport make some kind of difference? I would think it would make it more likely to have somebody turned away. Can't they scan the passport and see everything about someone?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think a passport makes any difference at all. Almost anyone can get a passport. But if you have a DUI and Canada finds out, you won't get in. Unless the DUI is old enough AND you do the paperwork like my buddy did. In any case, I would strongly suggest contacting the Canadian government and find out what their laws are rather than believing what I say on a forum. Those Canadians are deadly serious about alcohol use/abuse.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would have thought you wouldn't be allowed to drive in Canada but not allowed to enter the country? Wow.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have thought you wouldn't be allowed to drive in Canada but not allowed to enter the country? Wow.
Yeah, I never heard of this until accidentally seeing it on a fishing message board. I've ask all my buddies who have hunted in Canada in the last few years and none of them heard of such a thing or were they asked any questions. One guy even had a DUI. It's almost like an urban legend, but it's true.

If you check Canada's border websites, you see it there. But, it gets more confusing. If it was more than 10 years ago, they call you "rehabilitated" and you can come in. But, you hear about guys with 20-30 year old DUIs getting turned away. So that doesn't make sense. Then, if the DUI was 5-10 years ago, you can submit all your court paper work and apply for a "rehabilitated" status for a price. But, that supposedly takes over 6 months and all the paper work is really hard to get. Then, they also can grant you a TRP (temporary resident permit). This is supposedly up to the border agents discretion, but costs $200.

Now, here's a switch. Supposedly, after March 1st, you can get a 1 time pass into Canada. Not sure on all the details, though.

Then, you hear from lots of people who are never even questioned. 6000-7000 Americans are turned back each year. But, something like 3 million cross. So, I guess they don't always check. It's like rolling the dice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.