Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
For the golfer on the forum.. >

For the golfer on the forum..

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

For the golfer on the forum..

Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default For the golfer on the forum..

I know we have a few golfer on here, so here's my vent..
I WAS having one the best rounds of my life yesterday until I caught a group of hackers... The course didn't have many people on it yesterday because we were expecting bad storms and lots of rain. I hit the first hole about 11 A.M. No one was in front of me any where I could see. At the 9th hole I could see some guys finishing up the hole. When I made the turn I went in the club house and got me a sandwich and a cold drink hoping the guys in front would get ahead more.
I was three over par at the 13th , I two drives over 300 yards, that doesn't happen to me often. Anyway when I caught them, and there was a group in front of them and so on. I went back to the 10th hole and started over again, and caught them again on the 16th.. I stopped keeping score by then, I knew the round was finished waiting like that, when I get in a rhythm it's hard to break it and keep shooting the same. On a good note my swing change is working! I'd play again today, but it's still raining.

I don't know why people that can't hit a ball over 100 yards get on a golf course, that's why they make driving ranges.

Do people like that tick you off? I know every one has to start somewhere, but these guys we not newbies.. They were just old and slow, heck I'm 62 and I know some of them guys were younger than me.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rev, what course were you playing on? How about this gully washer today?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

My husband has taken me golfing. He's really not very good and knows. As for me? Well, okay, I have a set of children's clubs.

I think it's a lot of fun in nice weather. But when we see anyone catching up to us, we just stand aside and wave them on through. I think that's the polite thing to do.

And they always say thanks or give us a salute as they pass by.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger View Post
Rev, what course were you playing on? How about this gully washer today?
I live at Hidden Creek in Burleson, I also like to play Southern Oaks, it's only a few minutes away... Yes, I missed the gully washer yesteday by a few minutes..I'd be playing today if it wasn't raining..

yell at me sometime and we'll play some golf. I used to play Ditto quite a bit back in the day. You live close to there, right?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
My husband has taken me golfing. He's really not very good and knows. As for me? Well, okay, I have a set of children's clubs.

I think it's a lot of fun in nice weather. But when we see anyone catching up to us, we just stand aside and wave them on through. I think that's the polite thing to do.

And they always say thanks or give us a salute as they pass by.
Well you do right, I do the same thing if we are four in a group and one or two golfers come up behind us. That's the polite thing to do.. Most people are grateful not to have to sit and wait a long time.
I just had one of those days that doesn't happen much to me anymore. I feel lucky nowadays if I finish the first nine five under.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My joke is I'll take up golfing when I can no long play any other "real" sports, so maybe around 95... but I doubt it.

I remember one summer I gave it a try, I think I played 3 rounds, by the 3rd round that summer I parred half the holes, shot an eagle on 1, maybe I should pursue a professional golf career but I have a rather negative view of golf.

It shocks me how bad some golfers are who actively play golf!

None the less I have better things to do.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by salukipv1 View Post
My joke is I'll take up golfing when I can no long play any other "real" sports, so maybe around 95... but I doubt it.

I remember one summer I gave it a try, I think I played 3 rounds, by the 3rd round that summer I parred half the holes, shot an eagle on 1, maybe I should pursue a professional golf career but I have a rather negative view of golf.

It shocks me how bad some golfers are who actively play golf!

None the less I have better things to do.
Sal, there is really not escaping you is there? I'll be so glad when you get the boot AGAIN..... Were you born a #1 A hole or did you have to work at it?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hitting it in the clowns nose and under the windmill doesn't count.

I dont' run into the weekend hackers very much at the courses I play. Speed of play is usually consistent (or ranger to make sure it is). I know where you're coming from though, I've run into it over the years and yes it is annoying. Simply putt out on the green and step aside for a faster group to play through. Problem is some people just don't know. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day I'd be PISSED! Nowadays I'm in my state of nirvana when I step to the first tee lol. Nothing phases me. Keep mental toughness and focus on targets. Once your bubble is broken mentally you're screwed.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter View Post
Hitting it in the clowns nose and under the windmill doesn't count.

I dont' run into the weekend hackers very much at the courses I play. Speed of play is usually consistent (or ranger to make sure it is). I know where you're coming from though, I've run into it over the years and yes it is annoying. Simply putt out on the green and step aside for a faster group to play through. Problem is some people just don't know. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day I'd be PISSED! Nowadays I'm in my state of nirvana when I step to the first tee lol. Nothing phases me. Keep mental toughness and focus on targets. Once your bubble is broken mentally you're screwed.

I couldn't agree with you more (breaking the bubble), I don't get upset like I used to back in the day. Back in those days I would go up to a golfer in front and offer to give him a dozen balls if he just quit looking for the ones he hit in the woods.. sometimes it got a laugh and sometimes the marshal would have to break us apart..lol

I normally don't play on weekends for that reason, but yesterday I just waited too long, we all knew a storm was brewing and several groups got there early like I should have, so really it was my fault. Normally the marshals do keep things moving but the day was shot yesterday because of the weather I didn't see a marshal or a beer girl.

For me to be that far a three over par is great, I knew there was one par five that I could birdie and one easy par four ahead, I sure was going to try to at least make par.. That's okay, I love the changes I made in my swing, to hit the ball 300 yards plus at 62 years old, I'm stoked!

I can't wait for the weather to clear up this week. I play several times a week, and hit balls normally the days I don't play golf. I guess you could say I'm addicted to the game.
Now when bow season comes around it's time to put the clubs away!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me to be that far a three over par is great, I knew there was one par five that I could birdie and one easy par four ahead, I sure was going to try to at least make par..
Hope you dont' mind pointing some things out. Just trying to give you some advice.

I won't go into too much detail. I've picked through and hashed out the mental aspect of golf as much as one can. It directly coorelates to the game and how your brain and body work together.

I would recomend not knowing what your score is at any point in your round until you add them up at the 19th hole. Especially do NOT know what lies ahead. Anything that takes your focus away from the current shot you have to play just made that particular shots chance to be less successfull. Dont' worry about the par 5 ahead, you'll be there soon enough. One shot at a time with it's full attention.

It's unbelievable the results that can happen to be mentally tough and total focus. And at the end of the day good, bad or ugly you know you gave it physicall and mentally all you had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.