Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
The money deer >

The money deer

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

The money deer

Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default The money deer

I have to share a funny story that happened this morning. I set up a stand yesterday on some town land around the corner from the house. I went in there for my first sit at about 6 this morning, At 7 I could see a small deer coming from the west and it fed and ended up bedding about 10' from the base of my tree. About 1/2 hour later another small deer came from the east out of some corn and bedded about 10' from the other. I spent 2 hours watching them sleep and enjoyed the way they got up stretched and then lay down in the opposite direction. I saw a fishercat come along and so did they but they remained still and it passed. About 9 I decided I had enough and was hoping they would get up and wander off. Nothing doing they were camped out and ready for the day so I took off a cotton glove and flipped it out near them. They just looked at it and ignored it....so much for a young deer's sense of smell. I threw the other and same scenario. Lots of looking and sniffing but they refused to get up and go away. Now I had to Pee, forgot my bottle and decided I better get them away so I could get down and not ruin my stand location. I needed something to throw and all I had were a few coins in my pocket. First went a quarter and I missed. It hit about 6" in front of the stomach. The next quarter fell just behind it. Still no movement and the damn thing started to go back to sleep. I flung a nickel and it just missed the head by about an inch. Now I was down to the last penny and I landed it square on its side where it remained. If I had a camera and could have taken a picture of a deer with a penny on its side. I was busting out laughing. After a bit the deer flicked the penny off by wrinkling the skin kind of like a dog does when it shakes off water. Ok now I really had to get down so I lowered the bow and still they stayed. I clanked around the stand and they finally got up and walked about 30 yds away and watched. Ok now for my back pack and swung that around and put it on and down the tree I go. I looked at them when I was going down the climbing stick and they were still there. I hit the ground and started to walk and then they took off. 2 stupid deer that won't make their 2nd birthday.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol exotic deer? thats why you were tippin em hehehe
was it windy? cause i had ta yell at a couple deer one time bedded up in an area where i couldnt shoot them and i had ta go to work...i musta yelled at them fer 5 mins to get outta there, they obviously felt they were concealed enough cause they didnt take off till i had climbed out of the stand and walked almost within 20 feet of them, and they bolted in such a way that even with my bow drawn back, they both got out of there without me ever takin a shot. i dont think they were dumb, but i think they thought they went unnoticed so they were comfy staying "hidden"
Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM
New Sheriff

Will a fisher chase deer?

Great Story
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol...did you recover your money??
Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Great story Frank - That's what makes the woods so interesting. Always something different going on and something new to learn.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by janesburg View Post
lol...did you recover your money??
Everything except that penny. The brown coin in a brown patch of leaves just didn't show. Went out tonight to our towns Roast Beef Dinner at the school which benefits the Volunteer fire dept so no hunt tonight. Back at it in the morning though. I'll hunt until around Wednesday and then need to get ready for the Colorado trip. Leaving at 0400 on Saturday morning for that 3 day drive.
Will a fisher chase deer?

They were watching it pretty closely but didn't seem to worry much. I know they can be bad for small pets like cats and little dogs. Pretty viscious animal and smart too. This one was big and climbed a tree and that was the last time I saw it. the coyotes are the main preditor on deer around here. we have a ton of them and most nights we can hear them cut loose. Hit a deer in the evening hunt and you better find it quick. If you wait until morning you won't have anything to check in. They go at it from the rear so all the hammies go quickly as do the back straps.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Update went back at 6 this morning and nothing. Those 2 must have told all the others in the area. The squirrels were begging for money though.