Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Wow!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That makes more sense. All I'd seen was fussing about the name, and celebrations that it was changed back.

I don't know who all was banned or why, but if given a list and half a chance I'll be glad to help get them un-banned--at least the ones who didn't work real hard for it.

I can't make it happen myself, but I can ask if there is some way to get the old posts back. I know at one point the entire board got zapped and couldn't be recovered, but maybe some of the old OS could be brought back. I can ask if it's possible anyway.

Chad
Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

LBR,

What I think needs to happen is this:

* Try to convince Admin to go into the program and do a huge un-banning on the membership database. Every single person who was banned, will now be free and clear to come back, no questions asked.

* Instruct all current mods on how to moderate. Know when to step in, know when to step away. DO NOT become heavy handed (i.e. like how SWThomas was).

* Finally... Allow us to spread the word on other various forums that HNI is now back and all the great people (i.e. the legends who made this place what it was) are back and/or coming back and posting up just like they used to.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You have some great ideas Butch. I'm on a laptop at the hospital right now, and it's a bugger to type on--I'll reply in detail later.

Chad
Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Butch has a good plan if it could be done. I do remember SWT, he was a pain.
-Jake
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

OK--I'm home, but it's late so I'll try to keep this short and to the point. Had a long reply typed out with the laptop, but big clumsy fingers on a smallish keypad hit a wrong button and *poof*......it was gone.

* Try to convince Admin to go into the program and do a huge un-banning on the membership database. Every single person who was banned, will now be free and clear to come back, no questions asked.
I don't know if the program will allow that, but even if it did there's a big snag. The same program is used for all banning--if everyone was un-banned, that means tons of spammers, ARA trolls, people who have made death threats, etc. would also be allowed back. It would take forever to sort through and re-ban the trash. If we could separate them by reason they were banned, it would be a great idea, but I think we'll have to go by some kind of list if it's allowed by admin.

* Instruct all current mods on how to moderate. Know when to step in, know when to step away. DO NOT become heavy handed
I agree--there should be some sort of mod school. Used to be you didn't get the job before all the current mods discussed and voted on it. Old mods helped the new mods learn the ropes, nothing as serious as a regular member ban was ever done without a discussion (except in the most extreme cases), mods kept an open line of communication amongst themselves and with administration, etc. I don't know why that changed, but wish it would get back to the way it was.

I don't think we have any heavy hands currently. I've been called pretty much everything but smart and honest by some members and they didn't get banned for it--I just give it like I get. More fun that way.

* Finally... Allow us to spread the word on other various forums that HNI is now back and all the great people (i.e. the legends who made this place what it was) are back and/or coming back and posting up just like they used to.
How do you mean? If you are referring to talking about it on other (similar) sites, well...we obviously can't control what you say on other boards, but it's bad manners to advertise for a competitor on another board--and usually against the rules (it's against HNI rules). I'd be more subtle--use private messages and such--word will spread.

I should say that this isn't "my" forum and I'm not trying to horn in on 4-point. We used to stick to our respective boards and only moderated on another board in extreme circumstances, or obvious spamming--it's getting back to that, and I think it works better than way. I have been around longer and may be able to help--I'll try anyhow--but this is still 4-point's board as far as I'm concerned.

Although I've been on HNI for.....8? 10? I forget how many...years, and became a mod shortly after joining, please don't be offended if I don't recognize the "legends". I never have been one to visit all the boards, and used to stick with just a couple. I only have so much time to spend on message boards. I try to treat everyone pretty much the same anyway--when you put someone on a pedestal they have a tendency to look down on you, and sooner or later you are going to get dissapointed. I like eye-to-eye better.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can find out and if you want ya'll can work on a list of folks that need a "pardon" so we can get them off the ban list and back on the board.

Chad
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let 4pt do his thing.

Last edited by Rickmur; 10-03-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deleating of the history really pissed people off, so many great posters were banned, yet they were still here in old threads.

Then some twit deleated the past and now the past is history as are hundreds of our cyber friends. Clear enough?

Hence no one post here any more.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Saw that the first time Jim--already working on it.

Chad
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't mean it to repost, its just that this site is so slow loading and closing that this post was still on my screen this morning when I got to work. I couldn't close it with out it posting again. Some times these pages won't load for minutes and i just open another window and go some where else.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Don't know why it's so slow for some folks and not too bad for others, but admin has been trying to get it fixed. I appreciate the explanation.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.