Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Idiots employeed at Walmart + Dicks sporting goods >

Idiots employeed at Walmart + Dicks sporting goods

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Idiots employeed at Walmart + Dicks sporting goods

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Idiots employeed at Walmart + Dicks sporting goods

It seems every time I go to walmart, the employee in sporting goods dosent know the diffence between shot gun slugs and jig heads. I went to get a licence renewed... I got no such thing, I even went behind the counter and told him what to click on and since my fishing licence is still good for one more day, he proceeded to tell me that it would just print a duplicate. NOT I got online at home and did it myself. Similar stuff has happened to me at Dicks sporting goods, I try and stay outta there as much as I can. Everyone else have problems like this? It seems employees in these places just keep getting less and less competent..
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not surprising, they just put people in departments without proper training. Most of the time when I go into one of those stores including Bass Pro and Cabellas , Academy, when they ask me “ May I help you?” I tell them, “Oh no!” and laugh as I walk away. I was sponsored by Bowtech for years and we did promotions at Cabellas and Bass Pro once a year I was shocked by the lack of knowledge that most of the people working the Archery department.
I’m can’t say that about our own 2L, I’ve never met him; they may have hired one that is knowledgeable.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I've gotten lucky here in Iowa, I was at first very cautious when going into Bass Pro to have any work on my bow done. Until I met Steve, who is an Archery Tech there, the guy knows more about bows than I do. I call ahead whenever I need work done just to make sure he is there; as he's the only one I trust to work on my bow, and he has decent advice on new products coming out.

I agree, that most people are just thrown into the section and told to handle it. Sheels is that way here, I refuse to buy any firearms from them, after I had a staffer tell me a line of crock about a rifle, when I really knew a ton about it. I politely corrected him and told him he just cost his store $3000 a year on firearm sales. (In the big scheme of things $3000 isn't that much for a chain store, but it is to the mom and pop dealer just down the road that I go through now).
Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR View Post
I've gotten lucky here in Iowa, I was at first very cautious when going into Bass Pro to have any work on my bow done. Until I met Steve, who is an Archery Tech there, the guy knows more about bows than I do. I call ahead whenever I need work done just to make sure he is there; as he's the only one I trust to work on my bow, and he has decent advice on new products coming out.

I agree, that most people are just thrown into the section and told to handle it. Sheels is that way here, I refuse to buy any firearms from them, after I had a staffer tell me a line of crock about a rifle, when I really knew a ton about it. I politely corrected him and told him he just cost his store $3000 a year on firearm sales. (In the big scheme of things $3000 isn't that much for a chain store, but it is to the mom and pop dealer just down the road that I go through now).
It's good that you found someone you trust. I don't let anyone touch my bows, if I need parts, I have a sponsor where I can get them at cost. I have all I need in a room I converted to a bow shop in my house, I have a press, arrow saw, everything I need to work on my bows. I also make my own long bows, but you have to understand I've been doing this since 1966 when we had the first Archery range in Dallas at Winchester Gun Club, now I think it's Elm fork Shooting Range.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I`ve had to get my licence/tags/ migratory at Wally World, I usually wind up behind the counter showing the 16yr old there how to fill things out or just do it myself. I just shake my head.

Ron
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your frustration. We have a couple goofs that work in the hunting department that I swear have never been hunting. If I don't know something I will be the first to let you know. How hard is that? Out of our archery staff there is only 2 that I wouldn't let work on my bow. We pretty much have the right people in the right places and being the #1 hunting department in the whole corporation, I think it shows. We obviously have a lot of returning customers. I get a lot of hand shakes from happy customers and it is mainly because I'm honest with them. I won't try and sell them something I woud never use. Its just a small side job for me and sad thing is I enjoy it more than my career.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=2 Lunger;3837119] I get a lot of hand shakes from happy customers and it is mainly because I'm honest with them. I won't try and sell them something I woud never use. quote]

Good, that means a lot to most people. I hate it when I go into a shop ( and I don't go to many) and the young kid behind the counter trys to tell me what I need, and all about 3D. I have to just shake my head and walk away.

There was a kid working at Academy telling me about the bow he bought at a pawn shop in Alvarado ( A Bowtech and Mathews Dealer and one of my sponsors) he told how I needed a bow just like that, I had to laugh at him, I shot that very bow five years ago in competition.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I used to only go to wally world about twice a year, until 4 years ago. i stopped by for some t/c shockwaves for my ML. looked all over sporting goods, no luck. had to ring for someone to come back there. she told me they "probably stopped carrying bullets back when they quit carrying guns" she said (behind the counter with her back to the case full of ammo) LOL. haven't been back since.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It can be tough. I once went to the World Headquarters of a huge hunting and fishing chain. A couple of kids were behind the counter in the archery department. They did seem to know a bit about compound bows, but they got the "deer in the headlights" look when I mentioned traditional archery gear, which is common in most places. There was one big store just outside Memphis, TN that had a guy working in the archery dept. that knews traditional bows, but the store closed a few years ago.....

It's no wonder so many folks that are into traditional archery learn to make their own gear--good luck finding a store that can help you out unless you live close to one of the very few that specialize in traditional gear in the U.S.

Chad
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Eh, getting good employees at the chain stores is a crap shoot. They typically don't pay enough to retain the knowledgeable people.

In my local places you have a mix of knowledgeable, and the rest. It's painful when the good employees are not on hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.