Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Peaches

Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Peaches

We canned and froze the results from our lone peach tree today. Awesome is all I can say. They were regular sized and we must have picked a bushel or better. We canned until we ran out of jars then froze the rest. I went out tonight and picked a couple that we left since they were a bit small yet and whipped up a pitcher of pina colatas flavored with a couple of ripe peaches. Life is good.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A tree ripe peach is one of the better things in life.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen to that one. I guess I better plant a few more. Reliance is the type which is suited to the north country with severe winters. These things are delicious and the tree is only 3-4 years old.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

We've been waiting for the Red Havens. They should be in next week. We don't grow them. They come from the orchards along next Lake Michigan.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of peaches grown over in Calhoun County in Illinois.
I make a couple trips over a year to get some
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

We can't grow squat in Texas this year, we've had been a drought the only thing we can grow this year is cactus. Normally the water at my lake house is 50 yards away, I've been hitting my pitching wedge to a marker I put up 100 yards from my house, and I'm stilll at least 20 yards from the water.

and it's hotter than a pistol whipped sheriff.

What is a peach? lol... actually the area I'm from is known for it's peaches, non this year.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats one thing I miss about my old place in IL. I had three peach trees and I would sit on the lawn mower and cut the grass with peach juice running down my face. Oh the good ole days of yester year.....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger View Post
Thats one thing I miss about my old place in IL. I had three peach trees and I would sit on the lawn mower and cut the grass with peach juice running down my face. Oh the good ole days of yester year.....

I have to admit the folks in the hospital at Bloomington Ill were nuff were nice folks, but I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the Freaking Unions in Ill.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
I have to admit the folks in the hospital at Bloomington Ill were nuff were nice folks, but I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the Freaking Unions in Ill.
The unions are really just a northern IL. thing. Northern IL and Southern IL. are on two different ends of the spectrum. Trust me...the unions in Texas are just as bad. I deal with 72 U.A.W. members each and every day.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Can't keep the worms out of ours--tried everything short of Napalm. Might be the variety we grow--trees are about as old as I am, new ones aren't producing yet. Trees produce so much the limbs break, but you might get a bite or two off of each--worms ruin the rest. Only thing worse than biting into one and finding a worm is biting into one and finding half a worm.....

Pears have been/are excellent this year--best I've ever eaten, period.

Muscadines and skuppernongs are just starting to ripen--they are candy as usual.

Can't wait for the new vines to start producing--within the next year or three I should have enough blackberries, blueberries, and grapes to supply the community. Boco Noir and Cayuga vines did a little bit this year, Zinfandel tried but got some kind of weird bug on them and the grapes died before they ripened. Have to catch them sooner next year so I can zap them. May plant some Concord and Niagra this fall...haven't decided yet. Thinking about moving my fence and turning a little section of pasture into a orchard/vineyard...I just love to watch the stuff grow. Got more than I can ever use now, probably have more than I can give away once the new vines and bushes get going.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.