HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Off Season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season-117/)
-   -   Peaches (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season/348338-peaches.html)

Champlain Islander 08-18-2011 01:51 PM

Peaches

We canned and froze the results from our lone peach tree today. Awesome is all I can say. They were regular sized and we must have picked a bushel or better. We canned until we ran out of jars then froze the rest. I went out tonight and picked a couple that we left since they were a bit small yet and whipped up a pitcher of pina colatas flavored with a couple of ripe peaches. Life is good.

dprsdhunter 08-18-2011 02:20 PM

A tree ripe peach is one of the better things in life.

Champlain Islander 08-18-2011 04:01 PM

Amen to that one. I guess I better plant a few more. Reliance is the type which is suited to the north country with severe winters. These things are delicious and the tree is only 3-4 years old.

sachiko 08-18-2011 04:31 PM

We've been waiting for the Red Havens. They should be in next week. We don't grow them. They come from the orchards along next Lake Michigan.

dprsdhunter 08-18-2011 05:26 PM

Lots of peaches grown over in Calhoun County in Illinois.
I make a couple trips over a year to get some

The Rev 08-18-2011 05:30 PM

We can't grow squat in Texas this year, we've had been a drought the only thing we can grow this year is cactus. Normally the water at my lake house is 50 yards away, I've been hitting my pitching wedge to a marker I put up 100 yards from my house, and I'm stilll at least 20 yards from the water.

and it's hotter than a pistol whipped sheriff.

What is a peach? lol... actually the area I'm from is known for it's peaches, non this year.

2 Lunger 08-19-2011 09:09 AM

Thats one thing I miss about my old place in IL. I had three peach trees and I would sit on the lawn mower and cut the grass with peach juice running down my face. Oh the good ole days of yester year.....

The Rev 08-19-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger (Post 3836323)
Thats one thing I miss about my old place in IL. I had three peach trees and I would sit on the lawn mower and cut the grass with peach juice running down my face. Oh the good ole days of yester year.....

I have to admit the folks in the hospital at Bloomington Ill were nuff were nice folks, but I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the Freaking Unions in Ill.

2 Lunger 08-19-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Rev (Post 3836330)
I have to admit the folks in the hospital at Bloomington Ill were nuff were nice folks, but I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the Freaking Unions in Ill.

The unions are really just a northern IL. thing. Northern IL and Southern IL. are on two different ends of the spectrum. Trust me...the unions in Texas are just as bad. I deal with 72 U.A.W. members each and every day.

LBR 08-19-2011 11:06 AM

Can't keep the worms out of ours--tried everything short of Napalm. Might be the variety we grow--trees are about as old as I am, new ones aren't producing yet. Trees produce so much the limbs break, but you might get a bite or two off of each--worms ruin the rest. Only thing worse than biting into one and finding a worm is biting into one and finding half a worm.....

Pears have been/are excellent this year--best I've ever eaten, period.

Muscadines and skuppernongs are just starting to ripen--they are candy as usual.

Can't wait for the new vines to start producing--within the next year or three I should have enough blackberries, blueberries, and grapes to supply the community. Boco Noir and Cayuga vines did a little bit this year, Zinfandel tried but got some kind of weird bug on them and the grapes died before they ripened. Have to catch them sooner next year so I can zap them. May plant some Concord and Niagra this fall...haven't decided yet. Thinking about moving my fence and turning a little section of pasture into a orchard/vineyard...I just love to watch the stuff grow. Got more than I can ever use now, probably have more than I can give away once the new vines and bushes get going.

Chad