Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Peaches

Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger View Post
The unions are really just a northern IL. thing. Northern IL and Southern IL. are on two different ends of the spectrum. Trust me...the unions in Texas are just as bad. I deal with 72 U.A.W. members each and every day.
Well to me all unions suck, but Texas doesn't have to put up with so many unions. We are a right to work state. I will quit my job before I have to deal with the unions in Chicago!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our peach trees didn't do much this year, but the ones in the plains did, and I've stocked up each time I've been by.

Probably going to make a bourbon peach cobbler out of some of them tonight. Made a peach cake the other day that was excellent.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by North Texan View Post
Our peach trees didn't do much this year, but the ones in the plains did, and I've stocked up each time I've been by.

Probably going to make a bourbon peach cobbler out of some of them tonight. Made a peach cake the other day that was excellent.
I knew you were pretty good at killing pigs, but I didn't you were also a happy little baker!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
Well to me all unions suck, but Texas doesn't have to put up with so many unions. We are a right to work state. I will quit my job before I have to deal with the unions in Chicago!
No need to worry about all that water down there really Rev.. LOL Maybe I can call a few union brothers up at the Goodyear plant as well as a few more along the coast. I could tell them the Rev needs some much needed rain and ask if we can whip up a storm.. You know something like a huricane to wash the place out.. I really enjoy this northland the more I think about it..LOL

I am glad your peaches are doing good on your lonely peach tree C.I.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
We canned and froze the results from our lone peach tree today.
yep we canned ours. We got a good bushel. The woodchuck got some and I got him. The law almost got me. Somebody called when they heard shots. I have talked to everyone within 500 feet and got their OK. My grapes are fair, the way it looks. The Mackintosh have scab, but I will eat . I won't have many winter squash as the chuck did a early number on them. The berries are sweet but not so many.Typical year considering the drought we had in this part of state. The paper said this morning the farmers can get relief.
Those that eat N.Y. apples...they will be smaller this year...don't let that stop you, they will be very sweet as lack of rain.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

luv me some peaches
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Venator2 View Post
yep we canned ours. We got a good bushel. The woodchuck got some and I got him. The law almost got me. Somebody called when they heard shots. I have talked to everyone within 500 feet and got their OK. My grapes are fair, the way it looks. The Mackintosh have scab, but I will eat . I won't have many winter squash as the chuck did a early number on them. The berries are sweet but not so many.Typical year considering the drought we had in this part of state. The paper said this morning the farmers can get relief.
Those that eat N.Y. apples...they will be smaller this year...don't let that stop you, they will be very sweet as lack of rain.
I had something that was eating mine a few weeks ago just as they were getting peachy colored. I came out of the house one morning and there were 9 on the ground. I figured it was either a coon climbing the tree or deer knocking them down so I put a small fence around the trunk and then drove 4 stakes in a 10' box all around the tree and strung the fishing line around it at a foot and a half height. I hung a scary eyed balloon out with some flashies too. That took care of my problem.