Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Late breaking microbrew evaluation. >

Late breaking microbrew evaluation.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Late breaking microbrew evaluation.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile Late breaking microbrew evaluation.

Honorable Husband does not generally care for microbrews, somewhat because they tend to be ales and he doesn't particularly like ales.

But he heard about a beer called Samuel Adams* Boston Lager. So we were in the grocery store and he spotted a large bottle of it, one pint, six ounces. So we bought it. (He bought it, I'm not old enough.)

So he drank it with supper. The verdict? Not bad, but too sweet and not enough hops for a lager.

*We kind of questioned whether Samuel Adams really qualifies as a microbrew since it is produced and sold over a wide area of the country, maybe even nationwide.

He isn't down on all microbrews though. He found a brewery in Kalamazoo which produces brews that he says are quite tasty.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if he is into hoppy beers, and SA is not hoppy enough (it's actually a fairly hoppy beer) then he should try an india pale ale (IPA) or even a double IPA. I'd recommend sierra nevada torpedo, that'll make your toes curl....
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. Sam Adams does not qualify as a microbrew. The term is craftbrew. That is the industry convention, based on the brewery's production volume, and not the style of beers the produce.

Red Hook, Gordon-Biersch, Fat Tire, Pyramid, Full Sail, Sierra Nevada are other examples of mirco breweries that expanded to become craft breweries.

Walking Man in Stevenson, WA is a good example of a microbrewery.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

Originally Posted by JoeA View Post
No. Sam Adams does not qualify as a microbrew. The term is craftbrew. That is the industry convention, based on the brewery's production volume, and not the style of beers the produce.

Red Hook, Gordon-Biersch, Fat Tire, Pyramid, Full Sail, Sierra Nevada are other examples of mirco breweries that expanded to become craft breweries.

Walking Man in Stevenson, WA is a good example of a microbrewery.
Thanks for the explanation. We have been wondering about that. There is a brewery in Webberville and one in Kalamazoo that would probably qualify as microbreweries since they seem to have a presence only in Southern Lower Michigan.

We sheep enjoy beer too but we never get to have any
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are talking about Bell's and they are in Kalamazoo. They make the best beer imo. I have tried probably 5 or 6 kinds and they are all good. Their most well known beer is a seasonal one called Oberon. It is very good. You should have your husband try out the Bell's Hopslam. It is one of my favorite beers. Watch out though it has 10% alcohol!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill, NC. If you ever make it to the Outer Banks of NC, they are beginning to distribute kegs to that area. Try their Flagship IPA. Very much like Sierra. In fact it knocked it from the top spot micro brews in 2006.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Little Doe Peep

Talking

Originally Posted by thenuge15 View Post
You are talking about Bell's and they are in Kalamazoo. They make the best beer imo. I have tried probably 5 or 6 kinds and they are all good. Their most well known beer is a seasonal one called Oberon. It is very good. You should have your husband try out the Bell's Hopslam. It is one of my favorite beers. Watch out though it has 10% alcohol!
Bell's, that's the one. Honorable Husband thinks their beers are great. Being underage, adult beverages do not touch my lips. But I'm sure if I ever really did try it I would think it was delicious.

Yes, Stephanie is just an innocent naif.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

The best I ever had was the Shed Golden Amber made at the Shed Restaurant on the Mountain Road in Stowe, Vt. Pair that with one of their huge juicy burgers and it is heaven on earth.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl View Post
Bell's, that's the one.
You (I mean your husband of course..) need to try Bells two hearted ale. Just don't drive afterwards....
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by MN_Deerman View Post
You (I mean your husband of course..) need to try Bells two hearted ale. Just don't drive afterwards....
My Lord and Master does not care for ales. That Two-Hearted-Ale sounds like something they serve at our favorite establishment. The general consensus among most, including the staff, is that it tastes like spoiled orange juice. It has its fans though. The owners like it because it costs a lot more.

Better than sheep dip though

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service