Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Eyeglasses

Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you pay cash for lasik it can be 2000-2500. If you finance it can be like 3500. These are rough quotes I got for both eyes. I've been wearing glasses for about 10 years and never had headaches from them. Maybe go to an optometrist first before the optician, see what they say?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Whoa, holy crap, what about the post "I'm probably better shape then you"? I guess we better not mention all the Botox treaments and steroids either. Looks like my advise on not betting the farm was a good idea.

Timber, leave it alone. Your mom was telling you the truth. You'll go blind.
I know it is hard for you fieldmoussie but try to not act like an A hole all the time. I understand you can't help it and we here on the board can kind of understand and usually just look the other way and laugh under our breath. Lots of people wear glasses and my primary reason was an astigmatism which was detected when I started to take pilot training. The glasses helped sharpen everything up. I have always been very active and found glasses to be a royal PITA due to fogging etc especially while hunting the big woods of Maine, New Hampshire and Canada. The astigmatism made it difficult to wear contacts and when the Lasik became available and was improved enough I elected to have it done to shed the glasses. I have never been sorry and urge anyone who feels glasses are impacting their activity to look into getting the procedure done. It was funny how it all came about for me. Several years ago my glasses were scratched and I needed a new pair. I called up and made an appointment to have my eyes examined and figured I would get a new pair of prescription glasses and sunglasses before my pending elk hunt. The eye exam, the prescription no line bifocals and the prescription bifocal sunglasses cost about a grand. I used to go through that every 2 years. On the way down to the eye exam a radio ad came on talking about Lasik. They said come on in and get a free screening to see if you are eligible for the procedure. I figured why not and called my usual eye Dr. and cancelled the appointment. 2 Days later I had an appointment to see the Lasik gal and they said they could do it even though I had the astigmatism. 3 weeks later I had it done and walked out of there and went home to sleep off the happy pills they gave me. When I woke up I looked out the window towards the lake and I was shocked at how sharp and vivid all the colors were. I could see everything in such detail. A few weeks later I went on my DIY elk hunt and the hunting buds were shocked at how well I could see the critters. I was spotting animals way before the other two guys could. So FM no steroids or botox….I don’t need it since I am so damn good looking and I guarantee you I can hike up any mountain just as easily as all of my younger hunting buds. On another note I made some great venison sausage today. I have a killer recipe.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
I know it is hard for you fieldmoussie but try to not act like an A hole all the time. I understand you can't help it and we here on the board can kind of understand and usually just look the other way and laugh under our breath. Lots of people wear glasses and my primary reason was an astigmatism which was detected when I started to take pilot training. The glasses helped sharpen everything up. I have always been very active and found glasses to be a royal PITA due to fogging etc especially while hunting the big woods of Maine, New Hampshire and Canada. The astigmatism made it difficult to wear contacts and when the Lasik became available and was improved enough I elected to have it done to shed the glasses. I have never been sorry and urge anyone who feels glasses are impacting their activity to look into getting the procedure done. It was funny how it all came about for me. Several years ago my glasses were scratched and I needed a new pair. I called up and made an appointment to have my eyes examined and figured I would get a new pair of prescription glasses and sunglasses before my pending elk hunt. The eye exam, the prescription no line bifocals and the prescription bifocal sunglasses cost about a grand. I used to go through that every 2 years. On the way down to the eye exam a radio ad came on talking about Lasik. They said come on in and get a free screening to see if you are eligible for the procedure. I figured why not and called my usual eye Dr. and cancelled the appointment. 2 Days later I had an appointment to see the Lasik gal and they said they could do it even though I had the astigmatism. 3 weeks later I had it done and walked out of there and went home to sleep off the happy pills they gave me. When I woke up I looked out the window towards the lake and I was shocked at how sharp and vivid all the colors were. I could see everything in such detail. A few weeks later I went on my DIY elk hunt and the hunting buds were shocked at how well I could see the critters. I was spotting animals way before the other two guys could. So FM no steroids or botox….I don’t need it since I am so damn good looking and I guarantee you I can hike up any mountain just as easily as all of my younger hunting buds. On another note I made some great venison sausage today. I have a killer recipe.
Relax, CI. Just poking you. Medical help is awesome.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
Well at 59 I guess I'm lucky I havn't had to wear glasses till now, but I figure out I can't see anymore. I went to the Wal Mart optician and she said I'm nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. I picked up my new glasses the other day and get a headache within 10 minutes of putting them on. Guess it is back to the optician.
You must be a REDNECK to get your eyes checked at a Walmart..LOL
That's one thing I want to try out for sure, have my eyes examined at a Walmart.I went and saw Larry the Cable Guy last spring and he mentioned getting your eyes checked at a Walmart and looking at lots and lots different sizes of breasts.But yeah, being near sighted in one eye and far sighted in another would definately give me a headache that sucks.But I think I'd try a different facility to get your eyes tested, just for a second opinion cause I honestly don't think their equipment is of great optical quality glass and well built and maintained properly.My eye doctor of almost 40 yrs uses Ziess
equipment.He told me that all eye doctors recieve very good training
and Most are very knowlegable the difference is in great equipment to
solve eye problems and detect serious eye diseases, cause your in trust of what the patient is telling you.And if you have mediocore equipment the patient is just guessing cause they really can't tell the difference and you end up getting the wrong prescription.Anyways maybe have a couple of playboy mags up close and afar and see just stare I'm sure your headache will go away very quickly, cause the blood will not be rushing to your brain.LOL
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I had issues getting used to new prescriptions quite a few times. My eyes weren't that bad but with the astigmatism it was always difficult for some reason to get used to even a small adjustment in the strength of one eye or another. I had on more than one occasion have to go back to the original prescription after trying the new one for a week or two. I just couldn't get used to it. Happily Lasik changed all that and now I just see well and don't have to have anything changed. I actually am about even on the costs since I haven't had to get any new glasses or sunglasses in the 5 years since I had it done. For a person in their 30's to early 50's it is a no brainer from a cost stand point.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Believe it or not, I ditched my eyeglasses a while ago, and just went with straight reading glasses ($10 bucks at Walgreen's, CVS, etc...).

The last time I had my eyes checked, they got better (distance) and worse (close up). I found a website where you can type in your prescription and it will give you an approximate "translation" of what your eyes are versus the normal 20/20.

My bifocal top (distance) was so weak, they actually had to specially order the lenses instead of making them right there (Lenscrafters in the mall). So, I got curious and found that prescription website and typed in my data.

Left eye (translation): 20/40
Right eye (translation): 20/35
Bifocal bottom (both eyes): + 1.50

Honest... I can see without my glasses. I can drive without my glasses. Maximum eye chart scale (un-aided) for driving a car, joining the military, driving an 18 wheeler, flying a plane, etc... 20/40.

So, after about 8 months-1 year later, I started thinking... Why the $&@# am I wearing glasses? The stupid things fog up constantly when you go outside, come inside, try to hunt with a facemask on when it's cold outside, etc... So, I tossed them aside and haven't worn them since.

But now, if you put something in front of me and ask me to read it, I'd go, "Say what?" And squint and hold the paper way out in front me, and have major problems.

$10 bucks for a pair of +1.50 strength reading glasses (heck, I have about 3 pairs of them now), beats having to pay $$$ for glasses or $$$$ for lasik surgery.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have 20/40 vision and are ok with that then you are doing the right thing. While it may be good enough to drive and do other things it can't be that good when you compare it to having a pair of properly corrected glasses. But if you are happy with it then that is all that counts.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
If you have 20/40 vision and are ok with that then you are doing the right thing. While it may be good enough to drive and do other things it can't be that good when you compare it to having a pair of properly corrected glasses. But if you are happy with it then that is all that counts.
I know... I can read the bottom line of the eye chart at the DMV. But, I can't quite read an exit sign on the interstate from 1/4 mile away (hell, I don't think anybody really can from that distance).

I just got tired of always wearing glasses, putting them down somewhere, and forgetting all about them. With my reading glasses, I keep them in my pocket in their little pouch thing that they came in.

If I had to shoot an old iron sighted .30-30 rifle, I'd probably have issues with the front & rear sights and the target at 100 yards away. I could probably manage okay at 50 yards though.

My big thing is having to read something and my arms are not long enough. So, the +1.50 power reading glasses work great and I can see right over the top of them to look at someone or something, then go back to reading.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Roger that one. I know just what you are talking about.