Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Taking the fiance hunting for the 1st time >

Taking the fiance hunting for the 1st time

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Taking the fiance hunting for the 1st time

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taking the fiance hunting for the 1st time

So my fiance has told me she wants to go out hunting with me this year. I am actually really excited about this. The issue is, is that I don't want to turn her off from hunting. So I need some advice on what to do. Currently I am thinking of taking her on a short easy hike where I know we'll see game, and not do what I usually do and go up 5 miles of mountins. She isn't actually doing any hunting herself, she just wants to go with me. I am hoping she will want to do that next year.

Anyhow, what is your advice on how to handle this hunt?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be to do everything you can to make it an enjoyable experience. Don't fancy it up too much but bring whatever you'll need to make her semi-comfortable. This really depends on what kind of girl she is. She may be okay with roughing it a bit. I would also make sure to educate her on the importance of hunting and respecting the outdoors. Take time to stop and point things out and explain them as you come across them. Taking someone hunting for the first time should be even more of a learning experience than it is a hunting experience. It was very satisfying for me the first time I took the wife and kid hunting with me. We didn't bag any game but it was a great experience and both of them thoroughly enjoyed themselves because of the education.

Last edited by SWThomas; 08-24-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice. Bring a pillow...
No actually seriously...Bring a pillow.
Other than that make sure she has a great qulaity comfortable pair of boots and get her a pair of binos.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with SW. Probably the only time in history but his advice in this instance is right on. Actually it is probably best to not harvest on the first trip. My first attempt was a squirrel hunt before we were married. I gave her the gun and she blasted one and then cried. That was the end of that but thankfully she has been great all through the years and always encourages me to hunt.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait! Dont do it! You seriously realize if she goes, you will have NOT ONE moment of peace! There is no way possible this can turn out good..........unless you like your woman with you 24/7/365
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its hard to answer this question without first seeing a picture of her.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Honorable Husband started out by teaching me to shoot, gun and bow. He spends a lot of time scouting which got us out into the woods before hunting season. (He doesn't hunt from a tree stand, he does what I think is called "still hunting.") It was a real trip to actually find deer and see them even though we weren't hunting.

He bought me comfortable clothes and shoes. I'm really small so he had to spend a fortune on children's sizes. (Very pricy.) But I was very comfortable.

We also hunt, and eat, woodchucks, which is more like finding where they live and waiting for them to appear. Rabbits too. He acts as the rabbit hound while I do the shooting. (20ga. single shot, we practice leading with clays.)

I love hunting although we are both incredibly busy, him with work and me with school, not to mention our two little girls. We do spend time though, even this year, scouting. We take the girls with us. Miriam really enjoys sneaking on her hands and knees through the brush. I think she's going to be a really enthusiastic hunter when she gets old enough. My husband carries Michelle and she looks around with great interest at everything.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zTFd93oAiA

RUN DEER RUN!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mossy33oak View Post
Wait! Dont do it! You seriously realize if she goes, you will have NOT ONE moment of peace! There is no way possible this can turn out good..........unless you like your woman with you 24/7/365
You have a point Mossy.Even though my wife is my best friend
there are lots of times I need to be alone.
But the upside is you have a great excuse why a guy needs that really really hot massage therapist to give them a deep penatrating rub down at the end of a days hunting cause the wife is recuping in the hot tub.This could go places Mossy.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95 View Post

Haha. I have heard that tone of times. It never gets old and cracks me up. My fiance says in a joking tone that that is what she will do......I hope to God she is joking. haha