Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Fraud

Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fraud

Regions Bank call last Friday afternoon and said they had picked up some suspicious activity on our debit card. Turned out it was 6 online purchases on Thursday of less than $100 each that we had not made. We are not responsible for the purchases and have no idea how somebody got our number. Just had to cut my card up and wait for another one in the mail. Our computer was down and in the shop with viruses during the purchase time. I wonder how they pick things like that out?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

technology is gonna be the down fall of man kind. i have no bank account and i deal in cash only. i have no problems paying bills
or buying stuff online. there are way to do so, without the headache.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get a call from the bank 90% of the time when I make purchases online. When I bought my dogs E-Collar, within 1 day, I had a phone call asking me to confirm this purchase. I don't care how they do it, but they can bug me anytime they want to make sure it was me making the purchase.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me a while back someone tried using my ATM for 4 250.00 purchased. I had to wait for a new card and had no problems after that.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
Our computer was down and in the shop with viruses during the purchase time. I wonder how they pick things like that out?

That right there answers your question. It was a syware type of virus. The kind that tracks every time you log into you bank account and traces you account number and password. Just read an article from the FBI that says hackers are 2 steps a head of them right now and they will never catch up to them. The FBI says in no way should you do online banking.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
Regions Bank call last Friday afternoon and said they had picked up some suspicious activity on our debit card. Turned out it was 6 online purchases on Thursday of less than $100 each that we had not made. We are not responsible for the purchases and have no idea how somebody got our number. Just had to cut my card up and wait for another one in the mail. Our computer was down and in the shop with viruses during the purchase time. I wonder how they pick things like that out?

First, the same damn thing happened to me. Those purchases were testers. If the small ones got through, then they would have went for bigger ones to clean you out. I got lucky as well.

The fact that you had viruses might have been the reason, but it happened to me with my debit card, and I almost never use it online. It could have been at a resturaunt or gas station, where ever you use it.

Now, think of this. You're computer has all your information stored on it. All of it. While in the shop, they could have easily had access to your bank account numbers, pins, everything. It might not have been the shop, but it has happened. A lot.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Scary situation
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And is why my Online purchases is made with only 1 card which is dedicated for such things.

Keep a very small amount in there.

JW
Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a Fed-Ex tracking number e-mail this morning for some radio equipment that I did not order. Gonna be a long day.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

2 steps ahead that is scary.sounds like an easy way to make money though.Do you know where i can sign up for a instructional seminar? just kiddin , i am gonna watch my online purchases . even though i use pre-paid card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.