Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Anterless Allocations >

PA Anterless Allocations

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Anterless Allocations

Old 04-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA Anterless Allocations

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

After looking at some of the other posters and myself, none of us can say too much about this.
There's a big difference Losthorn! Several of us post mostly here, this issue is important to us and many of us disagree. You and I disagree quite a bit for example, but you don't attempt to twist the facts or make up your own as you go and you are therefore not in the same category as dd.
A-OK I was lost agin!!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Why would you do all the habitat work knowing as you claim the herd was reduced by 50%. Where did you get the 50% from. Cut and paste it here so we can see your math.
I started the habitat improvement over 20 years ago, long before there was any talk of reducing our herd to 6 DPSM. The 50% reduction in the Northampton Co. came from a graph published by the PGC and it is not available on the net. It was also posted on another MB ,but I can't find it. Maybe T-PA can locate it and post it. The herd peaked at 64 DPFSM in 1999 and dropped to 29 DPFSM in 2002.

BTW the only math involved was 29/64 =.44 so the actual reduction was 56%.

Here is a link to the graph I referrred to.

http://www.huntingpa.com/ubbthreads/...page=4&fpart=1
Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Add to that some "Positive" input rather than constant never ending negative feedback. Secondly add a little diversity rather than thrashing around the same old rehashed information we've all seen time and time again. This is how we lose posters who actualy have some quality input on a any given subject.
Since when is "positive input" and " diversity a requirement of the MB? Why would my posts loose those that have " quality input", when no one is forced to read my posts and are free to ignore them and post whatever they choose?

But since you would like something positive ,here you go.

I think HR has been a huge succcess that exceeded everyones expectations and altough the 2005 allocation is lower than in 2004 , the allocation is more than enough to continue to reduce the statewide herd. The commissioners should be commended for following the recommendations of the biologists and not caving in to hunters demand to stop HR.

Of course hunters will have toaccept lowwer future buck harvests ,but that is the price we have to pay to insure that DCNR forests retain certification.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: AJ52

As I stated in prior post,what we should be looking for is Constructive,Factual Input on the Topic. Add to that some "Positive" input rather than constant never ending negative feedback. Secondly add a little diversity rather than thrashing around the same old rehashed information we've all seen time and time again. This is how we lose posters who actualy have some quality input on a any given subject.

AJ52 - That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Personally, as an engineer and a data driven guy I find ddears post interesting and enlightening. Sometimes it seems as though many here want to ignore numbers for more abstract theories and concepts. That's OK, but a little hard data to keep folks grounded should be all right, too.

He is obviously passionate about the PA deer herd - what's not positive about that? If his opinion differs from yours, or others, isn't that OK?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 AM

He is obviously passionate about the PA deer herd - what's not positive about that? If his opinion differs from yours, or others, isn't that OK?
Despite what others say about his (ddear) figures, nobody has posted any that refute them. And that's not OK with everybody.
I agree that, HR has been a bigger success than than the PGC & DNCR care to admit, on public access lands. In my residential neighborhood though, I've seen more deer than I did all last season on public hunting ground. And while hunting is possible, it's extremely limited. But I choose not to listen to or see to 4-wheelers, barking dogs, joggers, and school buses to kill deer.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:13 PM

i read an article in todays paper by jim slinsky host of the sportsman connection /outdoortalknetwork and if what he said is true there won't be any deer left in pa in the near future the pgc has to stop being lapdogs to the dcnr. and dr alts plan was flawed also ! it's all very scary!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:28 PM

Rule #1, Don't believe what you read in Jim's articles.
Rule #2, Read #1 again.

Just read his article. His comments about James Grace & Comm. Boop are off. Heck Slinsky wasn't even at the Commissioner's meeting. I was!!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a deep breath....Everything will be all right!!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

Rule #1, Don't believe what you read in Jim's articles.
Rule #2, Read #1 again.

Just read his article. His comments about James Grace & Comm. Boop are off. Heck Slinsky wasn't even at the Commissioner's meeting. I was!!
In 2000 the PGC said a harvest of 301K anterles kept the herd stable.
In 2001 the PGC said a harvest of 283K anterless reduced the OWDD by 8%.
In 2002 the PGC said the harvest of 352K anteless deer allowed the OWDD to increase by 1.6%

In 2003 the PGC said the harvest of 323 K anterless deer kept the herd stable.
In 2004 the PGC said the harvest of 284 K anterless deer indicated the herd population was declining in some WMU's so they reduced the anterless allocations by 20%.

BTW, the total harvest in 2000 was 504K and the harvest in 2004 408K,so why did the 2004 harvest reduce the herd if the 2000 harvest which was much larger only kept the herd stable.

Now , can anyone show me where Jim made any statement that were more outrageous than the claims made by the PGC over the last five years?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:33 PM

with the pgc coming in 3 and half million dollars short of their budget did anyone really think that they were going to reduce the numbers of doe permits enough to make a differance. i'm just wondering if the areas they did reduce actually sold all their permits anyway. with all the big heads , the big wages and spending the pgc has just become another bussiness. it's just about the money.

Quick Reply: PA Anterless Allocations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.