Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY harvest numbers >

NY harvest numbers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY harvest numbers

Old 04-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY harvest numbers

Need help finding the breakdown of archery/gun deer harvest numbers - broken down to antler/antlerless if possible. I represent NYB at the local Conservation Council and one of the other club reps has feels that archers are only shooting at big bucks and that many are only wounding deer. So far he has failed to provide any studies or other documintation to support his claim.

Not sure where he is going with this, but I want to bury him with facts now. Could also use the links to any studies done on wounding rates - again gun or bow. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 PM

Default RE: NY harvest numbers

Look on DEC web site.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have checked the dec site - must be blind. All I see are total harvest # and breakdowns for wmu and towns - no breakdown for Archery/gun and buck/antlerless.
steve
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

one of the other club reps has feels that archers are only shooting at big bucks and that many are only wounding deer
What club is this guy a rep of and what's their e-mail?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Steve as fellow NYB member & archer I'd be interested to see these numbers myself. I tried doing a search on the DEC websight, and came up with nothing on harvest #'s by weapon or archery. I'd recommend you contact your regional office to see if they can get you that information. It would seem they have it someplace. I'm not sure about any info on archery wounded game. I'd imagine that'd only be done on a survey basis, so might not be avail. I've heard rumors of a 50% success rate by archers. But I couldn't tell you where that came from. But what we all do know is true that becasue deer are harvested by use of a cutting edge to bleed out, that any wounded game have a better chance of healing. Where as a gun shot animal causes severe damage shock, and less chance of healing. I myself would presume more game are wounded by gun hunters just becasue there are alot more gun hunters out in the woods taking shots at game over archers. That'd seem common sense to most.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

This guy is from the Owasco Lake Anglers -he is a one weekend a year gun hunter. Therefore he appears to be basing his opinion on "diner talk" and watching too many bow videos where they do feature "taking a trophy." I know the breakdown is available for the bow/gun , buck/doe take - just having trouble finding it.
There was a study done at Camp Ridley on wounding rates that I am looking for - the rates where lower than most would assume.

This guy is a loose cannon who has a forum (council meetings) once a month and I want to confuse and discredit him with fact.

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve I did a internet search, and this is all I could come up with as well. Some of it is 2003 #'s. http://www.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunt...cast04_NY.html
Old 04-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just found the Camp Ripley study.

http://www.nbef.org/ripley.html

Steve
Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

BuckAlley,

Where did you here 50% success rateby archers. I think that's way out of line. According to the website you posted it's 15%.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:08 PM

I remember seeing the breakdown some where but I NY game and fish and the NY outdoor news so who knows. Sorry I couldnt help.

Quick Reply: NY harvest numbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.