HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   ny proposal update! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/96611-ny-proposal-update.html)

joejr69 04-07-2005 03:48 AM

ny proposal update!

[link]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2005/200526.html[/link]

Phade 04-07-2005 04:30 AM

RE: ny proposal update!

Congratulations NY, we finally did it:D

NY Bowhunter 04-07-2005 05:36 AM

:D:D:D Thank God.

Double Lung23 04-07-2005 09:55 AM

It sounds good to me.

Allseasonhunter7 04-07-2005 01:35 PM

any. left over tags
i hope the optima will be getting some shooting:D

dvdegeorge 04-07-2005 01:44 PM

Well let's give the DEC their dues,seems like they listened to our input after all!

thesource 04-07-2005 01:55 PM

Agreed - DEC really did well to solicit input and keep hunters informed. If you check out the PA sites, they're not feeling as included.

BuckAlley 04-07-2005 04:10 PM

I'm not all that happy with it. After all the different proposals, public meetings basically all they came up with for extended opportunities was the Sat. reg season opener, and 2 days extended MZ opportunity in late season! You've always been allowed to use your left over special season tags, and reg. season tag in the late season. What happen to more bowhunting opportunites like the 1st Sat. of Oct. being 10/1 in 05'! Now with the 1st Sat. after the 2nd Mon. That means only 1 extra wknd of archery when 10/1 falls on the 1st Sun. or Mon. of the month. So all this does is make up for the added wknd archers got when the Mon. Reg. opener fell on the Thanksgiving wk. in the past. So there's 0 added early season archery days. I wasn't for the doe permit only mz season in the middle of archery like many weren't. But I wasn't against extended mz season either the first wk of Oct. or longer late season. I'm just kinda disappointed this is all they could come up with. The archers are loosing a full wknd of bowhunting during the rut now. But I'm also glad it'll give the chance to get our youth in the woods on that reg. season opener. I'll have my son w/ me that day, and look forward to it. Maybe they are just scratching the surface for now, and will look deeper into this for 2006. I certainly hope so.

Double Lung23 04-08-2005 08:06 AM

What happen to more bowhunting opportunites like the 1st Sat. of Oct. being 10/1 in 05'! Now with the 1st Sat. after the 2nd Mon. That means only 1 extra wknd of archery when 10/1 falls on the 1st Sun. or Mon. of the month. So all this does is
What happen to more bowhunting opportunites like the 1st Sat. of Oct. being 10/1 in 05'! Now with the 1st Sat. after the 2nd Mon. That means only 1 extra wknd of archery when 10/1 falls on the 1st Sun. or Mon. of the month. So all this does is

This helps westchester county bowhunters though because the season used to o pen up november 1. Know we get almost three months of bowhunting.

Double Lung23 04-08-2005 08:09 AM

I alos think that the point restriction in ulster county was good idea. Its going to give those guys a chance to see bigger bucks. I wouldn't mind it if the county (Stueben) where I gun hunt did that either.

tocs 04-08-2005 05:47 PM

As of yet no one has commented on the earlier Bear opener! If I am reading it correctly the Bear opener will be the Monday that the rifle season traditionally began,instead of the first saturday of the rifle season.That should dramatically increase the bear harvest.Which in our part of Ulster county is a good thing!

bow27 04-09-2005 06:52 AM

What happen to more bowhunting opportunites like the 1st Sat. of Oct. being 10/1 in 05'! Now with the 1st Sat. after the 2nd Mon. That means only 1 extra wknd of archery when 10/1 falls on the 1st Sun. or Mon. of the month. So all this does is make up for the added wknd archers got when the Mon. Reg. opener fell on the Thanksgiving wk. in the past. So there's 0 added early season archery days
I think bowhunters had their chance at an earlier season but didn't compromise with the mz. hunters. I don't think you can go much later into Dec. because of snowmobile associations. Alot of them wait until big game season is over to open their trails.

All you really have left is Oct. I think the DEC saw that bowhunters wanted no part of muzzleloaders in their season. So why would DEC give bowhunters a longer season, just so they can have a bigger fight next time they try to implement the early mz season?

I don't see the DEC giving archers anything earlier without archers giving something in the early season to the muzzleloaders.

BuckAlley 04-09-2005 07:33 AM

Bow27, what I read in my local newspaper yesterday from the DEC was the early MZ season has been dropped all together by the DEC, becasue it met such enourmous opposition from both bowhunters, and small game hunters. It continues on to read extending early bowhunting opportunities was opposed by small game hunters. However I never heard that at the public meeting I attended. Personnally I don't see how bowhunters could interfer w/ small game hunters. If anything its the complete opposite. I'm not against small game hunters or MZ, as I myself enjoy both of those. I also wasn't against a early MZ during the 1st wk of Oct. I was opposed to mz in the middle of archery season, becasue I live & hunt the northern tier. The MZ/archery combined early season has become dangerous in areas I've hunted. You have camo'd bowhunters, and guns in the woods at the sametime. The mz season has become very popular. So popular I put my bow down now, and don't even bother attempting to use it. The deer are chased around, and become spooky. Its like a single shot southern tier gun opener, shots going off everywhere. So I just mz hunt that wk. I even thought the rumor of a 3-5 day early primitive mz season was a good idea. I don't know what happened to that. If anything that'd been a good test for future attempts. I'm not against Inlines, I own both inline, and side hammer. I just don't see anything wrong with extending the archery season, and I don't agree with the small game hunter reason.

bow27 04-09-2005 08:17 AM

I just don't see anything wrong with extending the archery season, and I don't agree with the small game hunter reason.
I don't see anything wrong with it either. But why do archers deserve more time without muzzleloaders getting anything?