HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   2004 NY Deer Harvest Figures... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/95665-2004-ny-deer-harvest-figures.html)

WNY Bowhunter 03-28-2005 08:43 PM

2004 NY Deer Harvest Figures...

Here's the press release for those that are interested...

DEC RELEASES STATISTICS FROM 2004 DEER HARVEST

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Acting Commissioner Denise M. Sheehan today announced the harvest results of the 2004 deer hunting seasons.

During the 2004 season, hunters harvested slightly more than 208,000 total deer, including almost 89,000 bucks and approximately 120,000 antlerless deer. The total deer harvest for 2004 represents an 18 percent reduction compared to the 2003 total deer take of more than 253,000 deer. The record total deer take was approximately 308,000 in 2002. The 2004 buck take of nearly 89,000 also reflects an approximately 18 percent decline from 2003. Declines in total deer take were experienced across all of the major hunting zones in New York State in 2004.

“The recent declines in the deer take were a result of weather, hunting conditions in the field, and specific management actions intended to reduce deer populations from the high levels of 2002 and 2003 and bring populations closer to manageable levels in the many areas where deer were overabundant,” Commissioner Sheehan said. “Through targeted management techniques, DEC biologists will seek to increase deer populations over the next few years to achieve a better balance. However, deer populations comparable to 2002 levels cannot be maintained without long-term negative consequences such as damage to agriculture, forest regeneration, landscaping, or vehicle accidents.”

The winter of 2002-2003 proved to be especially harsh and deer numbers continued to decline as a result of the lingering effects. Additionally, winter mortality was also documented in a number of areas during the winter of 2003-04. Although the reductions were somewhat greater than planned, the current deer take numbers are similar to levels experienced in the mid 1990s. Under DEC’s management, harvests grew from about 206,000 deer in 1996 to record levels in just six years.

New York’s deer hunters took more than 80,000 adult females, which was an anticipated decline resulting from DEC’s reduction in the total number of deer management permits (DMPs) available during the 2004 season. In 2004, just over 600,000 DMPs were issued, about 80,000 fewer than in previous seasons.

DMPs are valid only for the taking of antlerless deer and serve as the cornerstone for statewide deer management efforts. Deer populations vary considerably throughout New York. Approximately one quarter of the current Wildlife Management Units (WMU) have deer populations that are within 10 percent of desired levels. Almost two-thirds of the units have deer populations lower than desired and the remaining units have higher than desired deer populations. The goal of DEC’s deer management program is to maintain deer numbers at levels that meet local interests and habitat conditions, while also providing quality hunting opportunities for New York’s 620,000 deer hunters.

Since 1990, DEC has utilized local citizen task forces to establish deer population objectives for most WMUs. The task forces represent a broad range of public interests and consider concerns of farmers, foresters, conservationists, landowners and hunters. Each WMU’s desired deer population level is expressed as a Buck Take Objective (BTO) and reflects the approximate buck take per square mile that would be taken when the deer population is close to the desired level.

The current winter has not yet had a significant impact on deer survival and small increases in deer populations can be expected for the 2005 season if current conditions continue. However, it is anticipated that overall DMP availability during the upcoming season will be less than in 2004 because deer numbers in many areas will still be below desired levels.

In New York State, Steuben County had the highest deer take in 2004, with 11,571 deer, including 4,499 bucks harvested. Cattaraugus County was second, with 10,658 deer, including 4,067 bucks, followed by Allegany County, 10,587 deer, including 3,929 bucks. St. Lawrence County (7,476 total, 3,562 bucks) and Chautauqua (7,430 total, 2,985 bucks) rounded out the top five counties in the State.

DEC has recently completed an extensive public outreach effort to consider modifications to the Southern Zone deer season structure and timing. Public input received at the recent public meetings, received via e-mail, telephone calls, regular mail and through personal communications will enable DEC to improve upon the earlier proposals. A draft proposal will be published in the State Register in April and interested persons will have 45 days to provide comments on the draft.

Wow...what a decline from 2002. The county in which I live/hunt in went from 23,000+ deer / 8,176 bucks harvested in 2002 to 11,571 deer/ 4,500 bucks in 2004...almost a 50% decline in total deer take. You'd never know it with all the deer that seem to have come outta the woodwork in the past couple of weeks. On a brighter note, there should be some dandy bucks around the area this year.

jcchartboy 03-28-2005 09:14 PM

RE: 2004 NY Deer Harvest Figures...

Although I can't speak for all areas of the state, I believe these #'s are very misleading. The harvest data are represented as fact. When it is not. This is REPORTED harvest data. I know many people who used to fill in there tags and send them in. However now under the new rules, they do not pick up the phone to call in harvest data.
It does not matter the reason, most people are simply not reporting their deer. In the community I hunt, I would say the reported take was less than half of the actual take.

Rwalter63 03-28-2005 10:58 PM

In the community I hunt, I would say the reported take was less than half of the actual take.
I was talking to a DEC officer on this matter and he said the state does apply a some sort of factor to account for non reporting kills. I doubt it is 50% though. I for one hope they don't issue to many doe tags this year so the future years herds can grow in number.

mdbllung 03-29-2005 02:55 AM

I am seeing easy 60-70 deer in the evenings now.As soon as shotgun started I didnt see a thing.Now the fields are full.Driving from my house to brockport is @ 10 miles and I saw at least 10-15 in every field.

farm hunter 03-29-2005 07:53 PM

Wow...what a decline from 2002. The county in which I live/hunt in went from 23,000+ deer / 8,176 bucks harvested in 2002 to 11,571 deer/ 4,500 bucks in 2004...almost a 50% decline in total deer take. You'd never know it with all the deer that seem to have come outta the woodwork in the past couple of weeks. On a brighter note, there should be some dandy bucks around the area this year.
My WMU is way down too (7M) - but it should be - there were hardly any doe permits last year for this area. And - also - there were less deer.

In my opinion - the last 2 winters (and even this one to some extent) have saved our DEC officials from making the same VERY UNPOPULAR decisions that were made in PA to reduce the deer herd overall. While there was some winterkill - its the reduction in Fawn Crop due to inclement weather the previous winter that reduced the populations so much in most areas.

Now our DEC is NO WAY - going to let the populations get back to where they were in the 90s - nor should they - especially with a shrinking hunter base!

And those numbers are not what were actually reported - you will NEVER see those numbers. The DEC has an outside verified statistical analysis of several factors - that let them conclude the harvest numbers within a +/- tolerance of 3% I think was the last number I saw.

thesource 04-01-2005 05:41 PM

The 2 harsh winters helped reduce the herd - but it was years of overharvest on top of 2 harsh winters that pounded the herd in my area. I'm not blaming the DEC - it takes a year for the data to come in and for them to react.

If you read the DEC " 2004 deer hunting forecast " - its still on the website - the DEC was predicting a slight increase in the harvest numbers last year. They got an 18% drop instead, statewide, and worse in some regions. They were taken by surprise and have been spinning ever since. I'm not saying it was poor management - as long as they drop the DMP and let the herd build again, I don't care what or who they blame.

Most regions of NY do not have massive overpopulation problems. In fact, 2/3 of the WMU are below their targets.

Farm Hunter, if you want a good feel on how your WMU is faring, look at the buck harvest numbers. If they're rising, your herd is growing. My neck of the woods (8Y, 8T, 8X) was steady from 97 to 02, then dropped in 03 and plummeted in 04.

You say it was 2 harsh winters...I say it was 2 harsh winters with high antlerless harvest on top.

harryinny 04-01-2005 09:06 PM

They take the Number of people who actually report, And they double It or more. They will(ive seen it) Take 10 reports and count them as 20. Dont be fooled by these Numbers, They have to Justify the Cut in permits Thus Still trying to sell a license to Hunters who Hunt for The MEAT.

Its NOT going to work, Because if i had to choose Chanceing getting a decent buck on my land, Or getting No meat at all, Id skip the License. Please dont say Buy your meat in the market, Deer is MUCH better than Beef in my book.

Dont believe the hype.

Harry

farm hunter 04-01-2005 09:19 PM

Its NOT going to work, Because if i had to choose Chanceing getting a decent buck on my land, Or getting No meat at all, Id skip the License. Please dont say Buy your meat in the market, Deer is MUCH better than Beef in my book.

Dont believe the hype.
Ok - explain it to me - What are you talking about?

FH

farm hunter 04-01-2005 09:25 PM

Farm Hunter, if you want a good feel on how your WMU is faring, look at the buck harvest numbers. If they're rising, your herd is growing. My neck of the woods (8Y, 8T, 8X) was steady from 97 to 02, then dropped in 03 and plummeted in 04.

You say it was 2 harsh winters...I say it was 2 harsh winters with high antlerless harvest on top.
Agreed -

DEC could not have predicted two record winters in a row - and in '02 planned the '03 doe harvest based on '01, and '02 numbers

Thus the DROPS in '03 and '04

Don't be surprised if the harvest drops again in '05 - This winter was 20% above normal snowfall for me in CNY - While not as bad as 03, and 04 - its still bad enough after 2 REALLY bad ones. It just " seemed" milder after the last 2 years.

Permits will be way down again in a bunch of areas. The undersubscribed areas are generally not the problem areas.

FH

thesource 04-02-2005 05:05 AM

Farm hunter - well said. And I agree that the harvest will drop by a lot in 2005, for lots of reasons. First, there's just a lot less deer. They will comeback, but it'll take at least 2 years to see the buck harvest rise again in the harder hit areas. Second, like you stated, permits will be way, way down in a number of areas. Antlerless harvest, which has made up the bulk of the harvest for years, will be much lower, probably until the buck harvest numbers climb back closer to average. And then any effect of this winter gets added in.

I think next season will be tough, probably the toughest in a long, long time. Then it will get better quickly, assuming we have "standard" winters and normal non-hunting mortality.

I like the way you worded your post - DEC could not have predicted 2 record winters in a row. Very true, and to their credit they are reacting best they can as they recieve data. I can't ask for more than that.