Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 So, What About Sunday Hunting? >

So, What About Sunday Hunting?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 PM

Default So, What About Sunday Hunting?

Excellent article in the PA NWTF's fall newsletter about the real effects of Sunday hunting.

by Bob Eriksen, NWTF Regional Biologist
Fall 2004 PA Turkey Talk

"The Ohio Wildlife Division is quite positive about Sunday hunting. They report that recruitment of youth hunters has increased. They believe this to be true because all youth seasons are now at least two days long, eliminating weather and competition from other activities as factors preventing young hunters from hunting. The program has been very popular among adult hunters too. There have been few complaints from landowners and no increase in posting of property has been reported. Trespass complaints on Sundays are lower than on Saturdays. Ohio officials estimate that about half of their hunters participate in Sunday hunting and they believe that crowding on state lands on Saturdays has been reduced."

NRA says: "This opposition to Sunday hunting is in fact opposition to the future of hunting itself."
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: So, What About Sunday Hunting?

I am a strong believer in sunday hunting myself.The NRA statement makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't get a chance to read the article yet but I did read a nice writeup on Sunday hunting in the Pennsylvania Oudoor News yesterday. I will be interested to see if the PA plan to investigate the benefits of Sunday hunting finds similar sentiments from residents.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

P.G.C. employes are union .They will not work on Sunday.

There will never be Sunday hunting in PA .

Its about the money and they are broke now!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if it's about money then couldn't you also make a strong argument for Sunday hunting? By implementing such a plan the youth hunters would increase as already shown in other states. This would increase license sales therefore increasing revenue. It would also probably get those adults who don't purchase licenses due to work schedule to change their minds. I think there would be an overall increase in license sales (even from out of state) which would more than compensate for the cost of PGC officers to work those Sundays.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM

I live in PA and hunt in NY and PA. My observation of both states is this: They make a big deal about wanting input from the hunters(the people who are paying the bills). Then do whatever they want without regard to whether it will or will not benefit hunters and wildlife. Just my opinion. So, it really does not matter if we want Sunday hunting. The game commission will do whatever it wants. If they do not want to work on Sundays, there will be no Sunday hunting in PA.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Interesting poll in this weeks PA Outdoor News. Seems they took an informal poll at the Erie Outdoors Show, asking "Generally, do you support or oppose Sunday hunting in PA?" and found out from 450 participants that 347 said they supported Sunday hunting in PA while 103 opposed...

Almost makes ya think there's some conspiracy afoot... where hunters in PA are finally starting to recognize how restrictions on their Freedoms require the same legitimat reasons as restrictions on the Freedoms of all others....
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 AM

PA Legislators dictates whether Sunday hunting happens or not. It is not up to the PGC.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really couldn't give a hoot what the NRA thinks. They're pro-gun, not pro-hunting. We just happen to fall into the same niche.

It frustrates me that we're even having this conversation. Sunday hunting has been so successful in so many other states. As it stands, the PA zealots keep me from hunting on Sundays due to their own convictions, and frankly, it troubles me.

I'll keep my religious convictions to myself. I'm not trying to start a flame war over God and holy days. I'm just saying that if it bothers you to hunt on Sundays, stay home. Very easy. Just set your alarm for 8:00 instead of 5. Put on your Sunday best instead of your camouflage.

It bothers me to hunt on Thanksgiving. I'm not clamoring about to have hunting banned on Thanksgiving, I just stay home. Simple.

Quite frankly, I think it would be quite enjoyable to waste a lazy Sunday afternoon away eating fudge rounds in my treestand and listening to Myron Cope do Steelers game on the earbud.

That's just me, and obviously I'm in the minority.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quicksilver, I dont think you're in the minority anymore. The last time Pa hunters were polled on this it was almost a dead heat for or against Sunday hunting. Personally, I think the PGC helped form some bias against it with statements that implied that landowners would post if we opened Sunday up to hunting.

I also have no quarrel with anyone who has a religous arguement against it. They should simply not participate if they dont believe in Sunday hunting, much like you choose not to hunt on Thanksgiving.

Sunday hunting's time has come!

Quick Reply: So, What About Sunday Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.