Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals? >

NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals?

Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals?

Having primitive MZ before archery in Oct. for 3 days.....

9 day MZ/bow late season....

Now that it has been reported as legit information.

Good?Bad?Ugly?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals?

Had not heard it was finalized. Can you put up a copy of any releases you find? Thx

I know all my friends that are bow hunters are not happy.
What are the requirements for primitive going to be?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I found elsewhere...I believe this is what you meant....

This is not official - as yet - it still needs the blessing of the DEC's lawyers, but here is what the Department is proposing for new hunting season regulations as of today 3/9/05.

* A 3 day primitive muzzleloader season beginning on Columbus Day. Only flintlock or sidelock weapons will be allowed. The season will be for antlerless deer only and the hunter must have a DMP or a DMAP. Black bears may be taken as well.

* Archery season opens the Saturday after Columbus Day and runs until the Saturday opener of gun season. No changes at all.

* Gun season opens the third Saturday in November and goes for 23 days.

* A 9 day muzzleloader/archery season opens on the close of gun season and any remaining tags may be used.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe this about the worst of all outcomes,(outside of no changes). Something is fishy here and I will place a large bet that in a very few years these rules,(primitive only) will be completely different.

A primitive season doesn't sound like it meets any of the goals the state had previously mentioned. Here they are...

Guiding Philosophies when considering season changes:
There are several important considerations that must serve as the guiding principles during any consideration of proposals for creating, changing, or modifying existing deer hunting opportunities:

Specifically:

Changes must provide reasonably equitable distribution of opportunity and access to the deer resource for all of the subgroups of hunters.
Changes should increase the ability to manage deer, more specifically to obtain needed antlerless harvests in areas of chronic overabundance by creating additional opportunities and fully using the flexibility inherent in the new hunting license structure.
All changes should focus on overall hunter satisfaction, specifically on changes which ultimately can influence hunter recruitment.
All changes and modifications should enhance overall recreational opportunity.

This means the state is likely to quickly start tinkering with the rules....
Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they took all the input from the public meetings and pretty much ignored it. And took the last weekend of the rut from archery. They haven't defined "primitive". This just opens the door to expand the early season to what they wanted to start. It also opens the door to other "special" implement seasons - pistol, crossbow, whatever. Why can't there be 2 seasons - bow and gun.

Disgusted in NY
Steve
Old 03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve....Looks like they have defined primitive....."Only flintlock or sidelock weapons"...how many people do they think are going to utilize this season?

My biggest problem with is clearly with the primitive season....It was supposed to expand opportunities for a reasonably large group of hunters...this clearly will not.

I personally was surprised that that the gun season never opened on that Saturday in the first place. However, I can understand why bowhunters feel it takes away from there season. At least in this case the general publics hunting opportunities are expanded.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

how many people do they think are going to utilize this season
Not many - that is why they will expand it to include scopes and single shot rifles(inlines). Why is a seperate season needed for any gun? If we are going to split the seasons beyond bow and gun, where does it end? I hunt with a recurve or longbow. If a rifle (inline mz) needs a seperate season, can I have one too? How about pistol hunters?

However, I can understand why bowhunters feel it takes away from there season
Losing the best weekend of the rut - I can understand it to!

At least in this case the general publics hunting opportunities are expanded
Which can be achieved without reducing opportunities for some or affecting the quality of their season. Keep all archery equipment in bow season - keep all guns in gun season.

Steve
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I realized it may seem I am argueing with you - I don't mean it that way. Just upset the DEC seems to have pretty much ignored the input from the public meetings and are looking to find a way around it.

Steve
Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, to the contrary for the most part you are agreeing with me. This is a bogus season that will not last in its current state.

You are also right in saying that the argument will now be made that perhaps there should be a longbow season, pistil season, etc..etc.etc.etc.....

Concerning the rut issue..I always found it unusual that New York gun Hunters were one of the few could never really take advantage of it...That should not be a bone of contention here though.

The fact is the state does not seem to be serving the publics interest...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Looks like another year I won't buy a blackpowder licence unless they lower it to $5.This is a joke but what can we expect from this state?Hopefully I will get out for archery.Better yet,maybe I will be out of NY by hunting season and ina better state.

Quick Reply: NY'ers...What you think about the changed deer proposals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.