Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out? >

NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out?

Old 03-16-2005, 11:38 PM

Default NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out?

New York's opening day of inland Trout season is soon coming up on April 1. I remember when I was young it used to be a very big deal. It was almost as big as opening day of the shotgun deer season. You see alot of people out fishing and and Dads would take off work and take the kids out of school to go fishing. Now it seems thats just about gone. The last few years the buzz is almost all gone. Is it just me? Am I longing for years gone bye or am I missing the excitement that this day used to cause?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:21 AM

Default RE: NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out?

I will be out there if my health(I have a very bad left leg) allows me to.This year will be nice because the kids don't have school for a change.I should be limited out after the first hour but I just catch and release.My 3 1/2 ft micro lite pole is waiting and I have my rooster tails and swivels.I will get some salted minnows for the kids and off we go.I hope the DEC gets out and has it stocked by opening day.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:59 PM

i will be out and they usally dont stock the trout until after the season opens.. good luck
Old 03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right - I think I'll go this year -

Its been many years since I went out on Apr1 - I live right next to a Year Round trout Stream - so the Fools Day opener kind of lost its appeal to me.

FH
Old 03-18-2005, 10:01 AM

This year will be nice because the kids don't have school for a change
I agree and I am planning on taking my oldest son out myself for that same reason. I hope with weather cooperates. Happy Fishing and Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never really tried it. What kind of setup do you need for them? I would be using a regular spinning rod.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: SPIKEHORN11

I have never really tried it. What kind of setup do you need for them? I would be using a regular spinning rod.
When I take by boys yes I use a spinning rod usually with very light test line like a 6 lb test. It also depends on where I am going to fish. Early in the spring when I take my sons I'll use nightcrawlers broken in half or small red worms if the bait shop has them. Most of the fish caught are stockers. If I am by myself I like to use the flyrod with an asortment of nymphs. I perfer using nymphs especially early in the spring and in the fall.
I fish mostly Cattaragaus Creek near Yorkshire and Arcade. Or I'll fish Ischua Creek in Franklinville. If the water is to high I'll fish some of the smaller tribs like Hosmer Brook, Canadaway, Lime Lake outlet or the Elton.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Alot of the streams around here where i live in Saratoga area look great with a slow thaw and not running to fast, high or dirty. I am really looking forward to opening day this year.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I fish in the Catskills, mostly the Esopus and East Branch, and there is definitely still a buzz in that area. I'll be there April 2nd because of work, but I am counting the minutes.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

nop but probly the 3rd and then im going on the youth hunt which has a ton of streams but we mostly fish the delaware and elk creek (whicj im sure noone know where it is)

Quick Reply: NY Opening Day of Inland Trout Season who is going out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.