HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   moose problem in vermont (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/91648-moose-problem-vermont.html)

deersniper101 02-23-2005 05:58 PM

moose problem in vermont

we have a problem with big moose big as the ones in alaska and there are to many of them if u want a once in a lifetime hunt enter vermont moose tag raffle u wont regreat it lots of moose that are huge

ekl 03-12-2005 04:57 AM

RE: moose problem in vermont

I just recieved my application to apply for a Vermont moose tag and I'm getting ready to fill it out any ideas which zones would be better than the other thanks

vtbuckrulrss 03-12-2005 08:50 AM

your best bet is to apply in d1, d2, e1, e2. basically the upper right hand corner of the application. after those four ( not sure, but e2 may be split into ea1, ea2) continue working through that section, applying by the highest numbers available. while moose hunting e2 last year, i was amazed at the devastation caused by moose browsing. when applying, there are sections that ask if you want to apply for a bull only, either or permit, or cow only, if i recall correctly. apply for every kind they allow! trust me, if you get a cow moose, you will be just as proud as if you were to shoot a 65" bull, i know i was. in fact, some cows will be larger than bulls. mine outweighed several bulls that were at the check-in station when i was(682 fielddressed). i poosted her picture on this forum, check it out to see what you could be looking at. but make no mistake about it, these hunts take place in some pretty remote areas, be prepared for anything. and it is truly a hunt, not a walk in the park. hope this helps. if anyone gets drawn, let me know, i may be able to help with lodging, guide service, locating.
Pat

cardeer 03-12-2005 03:53 PM

Dont see anything

BTBowhunter 03-12-2005 04:12 PM

Got a link, address or phone # for an application?

Thanks!:D

BTB

vtbuckrulrss 03-12-2005 07:05 PM

here is the press release:

2-28-2005
Moose Hunting Permits Increased

For Immediate Release: February 28, 2005
Media Contacts: Cedric Alexander 802-751-0105
INCREASE IN MOOSE HUNTING PERMITS
TO CONTROL VERMONTS GROWING MOOSE POPULATION

WATERBURY, VT - The number of moose hunting permits will increase this year according to a regulation proposed by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department in order to better manage Vermont's growing moose population.

In portions of the state, moose are causing extensive environmental damage by their heavy consumption of plants, including young trees that would become Vermont's future forest. The most severe damage is occurring in Northeast Kingdom forestlands where there are more than three moose per square mile.

Wildlife biologists are prescribing that 1,045 moose hunting permits be issued for the October 2005 hunting season, an increase of 195 permits over the number authorized in 2004.

Wildlife Management Unit D-2 in the Northeast Kingdom would receive 140 of the additional permits to ensure that the moose population declines within two to three years in accordance with Vermonts Moose Management Plan. This is the section of the state with the greatest amount of forest and wildlife habitat damage by browsing moose.

WPU-P would receive 30 permits, up from 15 in 2004. Smaller increases of 5 to 10 permits would be issued for each of six other WMUs (C,G, H1, L, M1 and O1). These increases in permits are prescribed in order to maintain controlled population growth.

Biologists estimate the moose population at about 4,700 statewide.

The statewide moose hunting season would be October 15-20, with an antlerless moose season in Wildlife Management Units D2 and E to be held October 22-27.

Lottery applications for Vermont moose hunting permits are available at license agents throughout the state and from the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, 103 South Main Street, Waterbury, VT 05671-0501. Call them at 802-241-3700 or contact them by email ([email protected]), or download a copy of the application from (www.vtfishandwildlife.com). Permits are issued by lottery to residents and nonresidents.

Lottery applications are $10 for residents and $25 for nonresidents. Winners of the permit lottery will purchase resident permits for $100 and nonresident permits for $350.

Hunters will also have the opportunity to bid on one of five permits being auctioned off to the highest bidders.

Hunters took 539 moose in Vermont's 2004 hunting season with a statewide average success rate of 65 percent. If the Fish and Wildlife Board approves the proposed number of permits, hunters are expected to take about 670 moose this year.
-30-

For Further Information please contact: Cedric Alexander at 802-751-0105 or email to [email protected]

ekl 03-13-2005 05:02 AM

thank you the application is going out in the morning now lets hope I get drawn for a permit

vtbuckrulrss 03-13-2005 08:09 AM

ekl, you're welcome. but, something else to for you to consider, if you really want to hunt moose, is applying to new hampshire. since i was drawn here last year, i have to wait 3 years before i can apply again. but, new hampshire also has a strong population, which is where i am applying to next, and the odds for being drawn there as an out of state hunter are supposed to be quite good, comparatively speaking of course, something like 1:50? can't recall exactly, plus they have a bonus point system there now, too.
Pat