Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area >

Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area

Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area

Hello all, as the title states, I am moving soon, would love a heads up on the area I am going too. I lived in PA for many years, familiar with the hunting in north central pa. Hunted in Clearfield, Jefferson, Elk County's often (also some time in and around Pittsburg area). It has been about 6years though since I left. Finally getting back home, moving to Elmira NY, really would appreciate a heads up as to the hunting situation in that area. I currently live in Louisville KY, can't wait to leave, totally different world here, I will explain if needed. Anyhow, I have researched the area, seems that I will be still hunting some in PA, and enjoying ML season in NY (pa flint lock too). Seems shotgun slug is all you can hunt in that area for regular season, seems I must travel north or south (into pa) to use my centerfire rifle's. Please, if you could give me some info on the hunting situation in the immediate area of Elmira/Corning NY, I would apprieciate it. TIA
Old 02-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area

I live down the road about 40 minutes.Have heard good things about the area.Will you be hunting public or priviate?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving to Elmira NY, would appreciate some insight on the hunting in that area

The Erwin game management area just outside of Painted Post is 2300 acres of state land. I hunted it extensively years ago and enjoyed it very much. The state land is surrounded by I would guess another 2000 acres at least of private woodland. You are coming at a bad time however, the DEC says the population in district 8 is down by 35% over the last couple of years. I believe the numbers too. Thats been my observation as well as everybody I know. They say they will be "severely" cutting back on the doe permits in 05. Welcome to NY!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sylvan, You ever hunt Conneticut hill WMA?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think so but I don't know the names of all the public land I've hunted. I've hunted state land mostly in the Corning/Painted Post area and State land up the Meades creek road to Wild Cat Hollow/Hornby area. Also the Pinnacle outside of Addison. About 15 years ago I was fortuanate enough to buy 100 acres of woodland near my home and since then I have mostly hunted there only hunting on State land occasionaly.

Spent my youth hunting Northern Pa in Tioga county. Mostly hunted private land there.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can drive 2 hrs east and hunt with a rifle in the Catskills (actually starts east of the Susquehanna river). I think you will find the hunting pretty good around that area. Check out the public land, but try and ask some local landowners for permission to hunt private land also.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm from westchester county but i have hunting property in Tuscarora which is about 10-15 minutes from painted post. In the 4 years i'v been hunting there i'v taken five deer, and have seen a lot more. Stueben county has the highest deer taken every year. i think you will enjoy it. Good luck with the move!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Default souht

just to start why eould you want to move to elmria
i am about 40 min south there is some good
hunting near there outside waverly i have
hunted that was good donnt remember the town
but follow water st east about 20 min tons
of land looks good
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 AM

Default RE: souht

Hey guys, bowhunt05, I am moving back to that area because I can transfer my Job and be about 3 hours from home. Plus, I like the North East, grew up there. Appreciate everyones insight, seems the area is great for hunting. I too plan on doing a lot of PA hunting as well. Despite the claims of no deer in PA, I know some great hunting spots around Clearfield\Jefferson county. Hunted that area for many years.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:41 AM

Default RE: souht

It was a Very kewl , Crisp, Calm fall morning 1/2 hour before light, Tree stand on my back, bow in hand, As i walk off into the woods, near railroad tracks, Theres a drop off on other side, I take 2 steps Than hear .....Snort A LOUD snort, & a huff, leaves cracking under its hoofs, It was Very creepy to say the least, Heart pounding, Release , Dang release I never put it on Before going into the woods, Fumble, Heart pounding more , Release is finally On, , Pulling to full draw, standing next to a Big maple tree, He Slowly Creeps over the tracks, I see 6 no 7 Dang it was 10 points. Huge neck, snorting, Just as His chest clears the tracks, My heart pounding so hard..Yes Turn Dang it Turn, He scents me at 10 yards & at Full throttle , whips around & runs Downhill, Crashing Threw every pine tree down there......He was pisst, Pisst He almost laid before me & Iam pisst That he didnt turn slow enough For my Muzzy to make contact......I seen 3 Bucks from 6 points to this 10 pointer all hunting season & 8 good size doe's .........Got many Shotgun shots off But usually They were running, But did manage to get a 2 year old doe, Nice doe ....I was pretty lucky seeing all these dear this past year & experianceing That morning The rush Of almost getting Myself my 1st Buck & with a bow...... Love the sport !!!

Seems this year Came accross all Doe's in Near by swamps & bucks early season into rutt in open pastures or In thick woods.....Looking foward to May 1st Gobble Gobble