Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...? >

I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...?

that NYS is proposing to increase ATV registration to $45!!!!!! That's right from $10 to $45. As of now we pay the $10 so snowmobile clubs can work on THEIR trails. We have no (very few) public trails. So I guess when/if the registrations go up, the snowmobilers will have even more of our money to spend (and I will not be registering my machine)!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...?

It is an old liberal tactic called "subsidizing," where liberals take money from one group of people to give it to another BECAUSE THEY CAN.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dough the State tried to raise ATV registration last spring, but it was held off until August, then we had to re-register our machines, once the State called the increase off until 2005. The state was hit w/atv clubs protesting the increase in Albany with no reason or refund for Atv's. I belong to the Osw. Co. Atv club. Our club took a bus trip out to protest it. We are fairly new, going into our 4th season. But our membership is growing fast, last I heard we were well over 400 members. Anyways we need to keep fighting until this State recognizes atv's need more support for trail systems, and maintenance. Its a growing business, and I bet it'll be more popular then snowmobling down the rode, becasue you can ride longer, its less expensive to own a machine. You don't need all the fancy snowmobile suits, jackets, boots, gloves, special helmets for winter use. I recommend you find a club in your area, and get involved. Our main problem is atv's are registered as a motor vehicle while snowmobiles are registered as recreational vehicles. We need to get this changed.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ride my ATV exclusively on my own land and it irritates me to no end that the state has the arrogance to tell me I have to pay a tax in order to do so. Where does this sort of crap end? Lawn mowers and chain saws? I think the Libertarians have the right idea. Though the republicans may be the lesser of 2 evils, both the republicans and the dems have become far too intrusive.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

why do you register it Sylvan????

if you ride only on your property, you don't need to (as far as I know)

but once you set foot (wheel) off you property you need insurance, which requires a registration
Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug

not everything is the liberals fault (actuall IMO, it's probably a dead even heat between both parties. (we need more independent politicians - like Jesse the Body)

but this is a political forum discussion
Old 02-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Just to let you know I have both atvs and sleds but only my sleds have NY registration. 2 yrs ago I pd $25 for the reg. last year it was $35 this year it was $45 ..Now I hear it will be $95 for 05/06 .. Bill
Old 02-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

why do you register it Sylvan????

if you ride only on your property, you don't need to (as far as I know)

but once you set foot (wheel) off you property you need insurance, which requires a registration
doughboysigep ,
I don't register it but you are supposed to. Last time I was at the license beurough (burogh beauro beaureau I can't spell) I happened to notice a pamphlet and it said that it is the law in NY that you must register even if you only ride on your own land. There was an exception for farm use and if it was only used for snow removal. So officialy I use it for snow removal. Sometimes when I'm removing snow I do a little deer removal at the same time.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:26 AM

I dont register any of my wheelers or dirtbikes at all cause I ride on my own land. I have never been bothered by any smokies either due to that. You dont need to register a snowmobile if you ride on your own land but that is next to impossible to do. I talked to alot of older folks and they said back in the 70's and 80's dirtbike and 4 wheeler trails were abundant and now trails aren't around anymore. Thats the story that I get when i talk to someone and i ask why they dont have a dirtbike or 4 wheeler anymore. 4 wheelers and dirtbikes have a bad reputation for tearing up the land which is true. I dont know any logging outfit that does less harm to the land then any dirtbike or 4 wheelers. Where i live in saratoga everyone complains about everything. Alot of it has to do with the southern people moving upstate who are new to the area. BITCH BITCH BITCH is all they do and they have the $$$$ to make things difficult. There is a housing project across the river and 2 years ago some folks who lived there called the fire dept. 2 times in a summer and reported fires they saw on our land down in the swamp. I told the fire dept. very nicely that if anyone from that side of the river called and reported fires again and they came on my land storming in with trucks and the call is bogus again they would be hearing from my attorney. No one minds there own business, especially city folk. When it comes to snowmobiling, atv's, dirtbikes, hunting, fishing etc... there isnt anything that is free anymore and as hardup as this state is for money there is no end in sight.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont think the Gov of NY would like being called a liberal. In Delaware we can get them titled in DMV, but that doesnt register them and our Governor hasnt proposed a registration fee.

Quick Reply: I see a few posts on ATVs - NYers, have you heard...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.