HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Bobcats in Allegany State Park (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/90426-bobcats-allegany-state-park.html)

wny_hunter 02-14-2005 06:48 AM

Bobcats in Allegany State Park

I know hunting them in that region is illegal, but I'm just inquiring if anyone has seen a bobcat recently in the Allegany State Park area of WNY. Just curious as this is one of my favorite tromping grounds. Have seen many bears there, just never seen a bobcat.

DoubleLung55 02-14-2005 01:02 PM

RE: Bobcats in Allegany State Park

i saw an article in aNAHC magazine about hutning deer , and the buck was very impressive ! looks like good hunting land!

Rwalter63 02-14-2005 10:51 PM

I never seen one in that area either and I been hunting there pretty extensively the last few years. I own land about 5 or 6 miles from the park but I wouldn't doubt if there are a few running around in the area. Besides the Park there are a lot of state reforestation areas in this region which are pretty remote. My property borders the Bucktooth reforestation area and there are a lot of bears in the area but I have yet to see and bobcats. Do you hunt in the park itself? I have a couple of friends who every year rent a cabin in the park and hunt the park. I never actually hunted on the park though. Happy Hunting!

wny_hunter 02-15-2005 05:26 AM

Do you hunt in the park itself?
I've hunted the Park and surrounding forested areas for the past 20 years. I am familiar with the Bucktooth State Forest, hiked and hunted the area a few times. Pressure in the park can be heavy at times in the land close to the Quaker and Redhouse recreation areas, but with 65,000 acres it is easy to find an area without too much "traffic". I've seen some nice bucks in the park (not during open season of course), and a few years ago came upon 2 deer with some sort of radio-collar on them. Not sure what they were and when I asked a park official they were unable to answer my questions about the collars.

Rwalter63 02-16-2005 10:50 PM

I never heard about any deer in the park having radio collars. I'll ask my friend who hunts the park and see if he knows anything. If your ever looking to hunt over in the bucktooth area again drop me a private message thru this board. I only have 35 acres but it does directly border the reforestation area and another timber companies property that allows hunters on it.

ARROWCHUCKER 02-17-2005 07:13 PM

I can't believe there wouldn't be any, my parents live in the southern tier(NY) and have seen them there. My house borders the Allegheny forest here in pa, and I just saw one last Saturday.

jhoffman 02-21-2005 01:32 PM

I have seen bobcats a couple of times. Not in the Park though. Humphrey NY on state land - Golden Hill off of RT 98 right before Great Valley. I do alot of turkey hunting there and once had one walk by when I was calling in the spring, and another time saw a mother and a couple of kittens cross an old seasonal rd that crosses over the top of Golden Hill.

Not too far from Alleghany State Park - I would say there would have to be some there too.