HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY Bowhunters proposal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/89191-ny-bowhunters-proposal.html)

doughboysigep 02-03-2005 08:32 PM

NY Bowhunters proposal

Got this off another board:

Early Archery-only season Oct1st thru friday before Thanksgiving

Regular Firearms season Saturday before thanksgiving for 23 days.

Late Muzzleloading season day after reg season and running for 14 days

Late Archery-only season 7 or 14 days in late Dec or Jan.

boy, go figure

they want to start early and they want to have even more time after the season

how nice of them to offer up, maybe and extra 7 days for ML

bunch of swell guys there

I am a bowhunter, but also a realist and hunt with a ML and shotgun. This proposal wouldn't be that bad if they weren't so greedy. Say, start bow Oct. 1st to day before 3rd Saturday - shotgun for 23 days - ML for 3 weeks (maybe a week of bow like now)

but, I really think DEC wants the early ML doe season - I'd rather have it early (week of Oct 1st) than later (middle of bow season).

SteveBNy 02-03-2005 09:10 PM

RE: NY Bowhunters proposal

Can I use my single shot 20 ga in the early RIFLE season? It has less range and is less accurate.

I hunt with an Omega - I can not understand why a separate season is needed for its use - early or late.

Steve

doughboysigep 02-03-2005 09:15 PM

we pay for a ML season and that season should be a bit more equitable with the other seasons. if they want to encourage ML hunting in reg season - don't make me pay for a special ML season

SteveBNy 02-03-2005 09:20 PM

Gun season is 23 days now - no loss there.

Few bowhunters use the 5 day late season now, so extending it is a non issue to most.

1st 2 weeks of Oct will be more like armed scouting - don't really care if it opens early.

Need to realize that most mz tags now sold are actually part of the super sportsman package and/or purchased by bowhunters for the extra tag. I don't see who or where the demand for an early rifle/mz season is coming from. If more opportunity is needed, allow the use of bow AND MZ tags during reg gun seaon and extend the late.

By nature it is harder to take a deer with a bow than a MZ. Should not the bow season be longer because of this? If more opportunity for the mz is found, does it matter what the bow season is?

Steve

BuckAlley 02-03-2005 11:34 PM

Ah Doughboy you just said the same exact thing on the NYB proposal, except ML for 3wks over 14days. The 3rd Sat. is the Sat. before Thanksgiving. I'm a NYB member, and this isn't the only proposal solution NYB has suggested to the DEC. The whole point of NYB's concern is the DEC seems to think having a ML season in the middle of Oct. is necessary so the deer can calm back down before the Regular season shotgun opener. It really makes no sense. But they expect bowhunters to accept hunting deer after a gun season ends going into the rut! NYB IS NOT against more ML time, as they understand many of their own members also ML hunt. I myself do. But the DEC is trying to sell that Bowhunters are getting more time in the woods. NYB did a 15yr future days of bowhunting and no wknds are gained under their proposal, and gain only 3.3 days in the field over our present system. Also the issue of a doe only ML season, and closing archery was first proposed, but now the DEC has decided to allow bowhunting during that week in those same open DMU's for the 7day ML season. But you must have a DMP in order to hunt those DMU's. But the DEC is cutting back on DMP's in several DMU's. So I don't get not allowing bowhunting in other closed DMU's during the 7day ML season.
We should take a look at the Northern zone as a example here, where I live. Presently the early archery and ML seasons overlap for 7days. I can tell you from experience in my neck of the woods, that the ML season has become a extended early gun season. I stopped trying to bowhunt during those 7days. Hunters are in the woods doing deer drives, and it sounds like a single shot southern tier regular season opener. Its gotten very popular with the modern inlines, especially since scopes were legalized.
In my personal opinion I'd like to see Northern bow open Sept 1st, and Southern bow open Oct. 1st. A 7day muzzleloader season in the Southern tier the wk before the regular season opens. Just like the Northern tier is now. Its working fine in the Northern tier. I know some guys who mainly bowhunt the Southern tier feel Oct. 1st is too early to start. I say nonsense. I love the early season, and hunt Northern & Southern both. I think its easier to pattern a deer coming into the first dropped apples, and acorns of the fall over trying to get a roaming rutting buck into 30yd range. Besides just becasue its opened earlier doesn't mean you have to go out if you don't like to bowhunt that time of yr. Look at other states, several start their early archery seasons Sept 1st, and even late August. I say more bow time, more ML time can easily be accomplished here, and make most everyone happy if it was just done right! Also Doughboy being a bowhunter I'd suggest you speak with NYB people, or join a year to see what this organization is really all about, before knocking fellow bowhunters. They are only looking after our sport of archery, and have alreadly done wonders for it.

doughboysigep 02-04-2005 05:34 AM

On on board with your last post Steve.

(I originally misread the proposal and thought they wanted to go to Thanksgiving)

5 day late season is a non issue to me as well - its ML time - might as well leave it though for those that do bowhunt then

yep, armed scouting is exactly my feeling - and would be happy to have it, but it's not crtucal

I think the DEC wants the early ML for doe harvest - again, IF they want it early, why not have it Oct 1st for a week - I really don't see that effective bow season at all (or no where near as much as plopping it in the middle of ML) and like we agree, many bow hunters are not overly excited about bowhunting in early Oct. One way to help increase ML take (and doe take) is to allow make ML tags (and bow) legal during gun season. that way, if you want to use either in gun you don't have to "waste" your regular tags.

I don't think both seasons need to be exact, just a bit more equitable - I would be more than happy with a 3-4 week ML at the end of the season (even make a week or 2 at the end doe only?) My early suggestions were more from a standpoint of compromise and trying to give a little everywhere (ie DEC "wants" early ML....)

start bow early, regular gun, long ML season - sounds good to me (and simple)

it will be interesting how it all shakes out

doughboysigep 02-04-2005 05:39 AM

goods points Buck

I agree with much of what you say.

let me ask you (others) - Do you think a ML (maybe bow also) week of doe only at the beginning of october will really "hurt"/effect bow hunting?????

I definitely do not want the ML season smack in the middle of bow - now they propose that bow hunters can hunt during that week, but doe only! - do I dare say...assinine

they want to make things simpler, don't they??? i think simple is what I stated above (or just have a long late ML season

Charlie P 02-04-2005 06:21 AM

Steve, I love hunting with the bow,but with all due respect it's not all about us. ML pay for a seperate license too.Gun hunters are a sleeping giant careful awakening them they have more money to lobby then we do.

Why did bow hunters get these long seasons originally because we had no impact on the deer herd. Well now supposedly there are 1 million deer in the state and the DEC feels their herd reduction numbers aren't being met. It's not about low impact on numbers anymore they want to see tags turned in. Telling te DEC to extend our season because we don't kill that many deer is counter-productive.

Are todays inlines a primitive weapon,No. You can't put the genie back in the bottle,they are here to stay.

NJ deer season just ended on the 31 st. Why not do something like that. The only reason I don't take advantage of the late season with my bow is it's too darn short. I'd love to start hunting with the bow again after deer start getting back on their patterns.

I don't see who or where the demand for an early rifle/mz season is coming from.
Proably the voice is companies like Thompson,CVA and every other MZ company that see's a huge market in our state and little oppurtunity.

Charlie P 02-04-2005 06:38 AM

1st 2 weeks of Oct will be more like armed scouting - don't really care if it opens early.
Why is that? It a great time to take does out ,granted most big bucks are tough to get at this time, but I've seen it done. Deer are on their bed - feed patterns it's not like their not there. I've seen quite a few pictures on this site of some preety darn nice deer being shot in this two week armed scouting period.

It's also more time to introduce kids to the sport. If they do lower the bow age it will give these kids a great oppurtunity to be in the woods and experience the sport.

So you don't want early or a late seasons extended and the MZ should take some late season cause it's not really the time you don't want to be in the woods.]

Steve are you affilated with the NY bow association?

I think the the NYB is being unresonible and has a me, me me attitude that is going to tick off the gun hunters and eventually it will cost us.

doughboysigep 02-04-2005 09:53 AM

my main "indifference" to the earlier bow is the temps and foliage. just not ideal conditions (normally). i agree that taking deer is possible (basicaly the same as bow now, but more leaves, etc to deal with). like I said, I would happily use the extra time, just like I would use the extra ML.

nobody wants to answer the deer pattern question? How much effect do you really think a week of doe only ML from Oct 1st will have on deer patterns come rut time???