Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

QDM POLL FOR PA

Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Default RE: QDM POLL FOR PA

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

In Texas people dont shoot BUTTON BUCKS thats why QDM works. You can see more deer because there are more buck alive which means you can have more doe.

I agree with you cardeer. But thats what Pa people dont get. They need to shoot that button buck. You leave him go thats 1 less doe that needs to be shot. I wish PA would make it you kill a button buck thats your buck. I know what people would say though. They will be left lay to decay. They are right but thats where we need to look at how greedy hunters are and not how the PGC manages the game. Turn in the outlaws!
That is the exact opposite of what Dr Alt told us to do. He emphasized not shooting the button bucks. If people want QDM like in Texas, go hunt there. Pennsylvania is not Texas.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MikeE51848

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

In Texas people dont shoot BUTTON BUCKS thats why QDM works. You can see more deer because there are more buck alive which means you can have more doe.

I agree with you cardeer. But thats what Pa people dont get. They need to shoot that button buck. You leave him go thats 1 less doe that needs to be shot. I wish PA would make it you kill a button buck thats your buck. I know what people would say though. They will be left lay to decay. They are right but thats where we need to look at how greedy hunters are and not how the PGC manages the game. Turn in the outlaws!
That is the exact opposite of what Dr Alt told us to do. He emphasized not shooting the button bucks. If people want QDM like in Texas, go hunt there. Pennsylvania is not Texas.
EXACTLY!!! That is what I stated above.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Dominant Buck

QDM yes age 56. QDM has as much to do with habitat improvemet as to getting the buck/ doe ratio in check. It is a total package designed to provide a good mix and supply the proper number of carrying capacity that the land will support. In my opinion you want the dominant bucks to do all the breeding. In VT we have way too many doe and the big bucks are far and few between and can't service all the does. Getting too much breeding from inferior bucks and the gene pool has fallen off.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Champlain Islander wrote:
In my opinion you want the dominant bucks to do all the breeding.
Then why are you for a system of management that says its fine to shoot the mature bucks you want to do all the breeding but protects the young bucks that you dont' want to breed. Dead animals don't breed!

Don't forget an 18 month old buck passes on the same genes at 18 months as he does at 5 1/2 years. It's a fallacy to say that young bucks don't pass on good genes. over 60 years of an expanding healthy whitetail heard attest to it.

I'm for QDM aspects relating to nutrition, I'm agains QDM for the purpose of managing for more mature bucks. Let's call it what it is and thats trophy management.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Age 25 - Support QDM
Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Familiar Yes
Support Yes
Practice Yes
Age 31
Old 01-31-2005, 03:17 PM

QDM= Quality Deer Management
I would support a QDM if it was done properly, but the way Pennsylvania is going about it by allowing entirely too many does killed in areas where the does DON'T need to be thinned out. NO!
Same thing is happening in West Virginia, their DNR is trying to tell them that their doe population has reached it's peak and more doesw need to be harvested. Alot of hunters in both states don't buy this crap about x-amount of deer in x-amount of acres, it's just a guesstimate that is not even close to the actual count. I agree that in some/certain counties the does need to be thinned down but mostly it has been done wrong by both Pennsylvania and West Virginia's management officials.
I'm 43 years old and have seen a drastic decline more so in West Virginia in the last 3 years due to the slaughtering of does and a not yet imposed antler restriction (AR). In Pennsylvania I have seen more bucks than before due to the AR's. I do see alot of deer due to the fact I am hunting in Southeastern PA unlike the scarcity of deer in the north.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

People are getting QDM and what the PGC is doing mixed up. Yes its similar and will help QDM if done right. The difference is you will never see a button buck shot on my property unless it is a youths first deer. You also won't see a buck be shot just because it has 3 points to one side on my land. It has to be a QUALITY BUCK. What the PGC is trying to do is in the right direction. Nobody said they would get it right there first try.
I agree somethings need to be changed. But I am not going to bash the PGC because they are trying to make PA hunting better.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hummm - 'Shoot a Button Buck' - Never Heard of such QDM practice anywhere??

Maybe they shoot BB in Iraq?? Am I misreading something here?????
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 AM

25 hate it
bullmoose i wish you could put
your buck tag on a button buck
for i am not a trophy hunter
just a deer hunter i dont care
to have big buck in pa and i
dont need to shoot one to prove
i am a man i would rather meat
in the freezer than horns on the wall.

Quick Reply: QDM POLL FOR PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.